Author Topic: So what would happen if.......  (Read 27611 times)

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
Re: So what would happen if.......
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 06:32:15 PM »
Agreed. Though the canonical spelling should probably be lithobraking, I suppose lithobreaking is an acceptable variation.

They both actually seem fairly accurate, they just describe different aspects of the process :)
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »
And space launchers never actually fail, they simply achieve geostationary orbits with subterranean perigees. After the second Ariane launch dropped our satellite into the Atlantic, I suggested that the next launch should carry a communications satellite in its payload fairing and have an undersea fiber optic cable tied to its tail. That way, one of the two communications systems will work.

A hedged postion :)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:33 PM »
My favorite story from him concerns the controller who hurriedly parked his car on the sidewalk when late for work, resulting in the suspension of his parking privileges. Until he got them restored, he parked across from the entrance to MSFC, opened up a trailer, and rode his horse up to the building, tying it off while he worked. Apparently nobody in NASA security thought to require permits for horses.

Well if NASA had been anything like the US Army, not only would they have been required to give him a permit for his horse, but the quartermaster would have been compelled to provide his horse with feed and bedding!!!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »
Agreed. Though the canonical spelling should probably be lithobraking, I suppose lithobreaking is an acceptable variation.

They both actually seem fairly accurate, they just describe different aspects of the process :)
Ok, I'll bite. lithobreaking was a mistake, as I intended to write lithobraking. Euphemisms aside though, the latter could be said to be a valid manoeuvre for such space probes as Luna 9, Opportunity and Spirit.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 06:55:44 AM »

Ok, I'll bite. lithobreaking was a mistake, as I intended to write lithobraking. Euphemisms aside though, the latter could be said to be a valid manoeuvre for such space probes as Luna 9, Opportunity and Spirit.

Ah yes, in those cases, lithobreaking would be the result of unsuccessful lithobraking.

As the craft descended towards the planetary surface, the tension mounted and pulses raced.  Nobody spoke, yet each knew the thoughts of the others - lithobraking, or lithobreaking?

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 10:11:29 AM »
Euphemisms aside though, the latter could be said to be a valid manoeuvre for such space probes as Luna 9, Opportunity and Spirit.
Wikipedia agrees.
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »
Euphemisms aside though, the latter could be said to be a valid manoeuvre for such space probes as Luna 9, Opportunity and Spirit.

Likewise for some of the Rangers, though in a different sense.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 05:21:41 PM »
As the craft descended towards the planetary surface, the tension mounted and pulses raced.  Nobody spoke, yet each knew the thoughts of the others - lithobraking, or lithobreaking?

Now we have a first line of a orbital mechanics romance novel?  Or perhaps an entry in the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest?
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »

Likewise for some of the Rangers, though in a different sense.

Slamming a spacecraft into the moon at around 10,000 km/h is a somewhat severe form of lithobraking!

In fact, it could be better described by raven's earlier term; "Lithobreaking"
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »
Well, they decelerated when they encountered the lithosphere.  That counts as braking in my book. :)

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
Luna 2 also preformed this manoeuvre. In fact, it was the first to do so, though Luna 1 was intended to but missed the moon and instead entered solar orbit.
I guess flying really is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing! ;D

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
So what would happen if.......
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 12:02:27 AM »
Luna 2 also preformed this manoeuvre. In fact, it was the first to do so, though Luna 1 was intended to but missed the moon and instead entered solar orbit.
I guess flying really is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing! ;D

"Falling with style."

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 01:15:52 AM »
My favorite story from him concerns the controller who hurriedly parked his car on the sidewalk when late for work, resulting in the suspension of his parking privileges. Until he got them restored, he parked across from the entrance to MSFC, opened up a trailer, and rode his horse up to the building, tying it off while he worked. Apparently nobody in NASA security thought to require permits for horses.

Well if NASA had been anything like the US Army, not only would they have been required to give him a permit for his horse, but the quartermaster would have been compelled to provide his horse with feed and bedding!!!

That's correct. Until the early 1980s, the Manual of Air Force Law (Australia) said that Officers were required to be provided with Batmen to tender their needs and look after their horse!

Even today, our law actually says that no ADF aircraft, vessel, vehicle, whatever, can be charged a toll for passage through or use of Australian soil. Of course, our wimpy politicians give in and pay airport charges, etc, as well as ADF vehicles being charged tolls on motorways, etc.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »

That's correct. Until the early 1980s, the Manual of Air Force Law (Australia) said that Officers were required to be provided with Batmen to tender their needs and look after their horse!

Even today, our law actually says that no ADF aircraft, vessel, vehicle, whatever, can be charged a toll for passage through or use of Australian soil. Of course, our wimpy politicians give in and pay airport charges, etc, as well as ADF vehicles being charged tolls on motorways, etc.

"Somebody's gotta go back and get a whole shitloada rooboys!"
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz