Author Topic: SOYUZ 11  (Read 10265 times)

Offline BILLR

• Mercury
SOYUZ 11
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »
This accident has always been a mystery to me. You guys might know more details of how such a decompression could occur. All I have ever found out is that " a valve opened". Is there any accident report now available on this incident? Granted it was Soviet era but information such as accident investigations might be available. Thanks.

Offline Tanalia

• Venus
Re: SOYUZ 11
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »
The Wikipedia entry has a description.  Short form: simultaneous (instead of sequential) firing of explosive bolts damaged the vale.

Offline BILLR

• Mercury
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »
why did the pressure suits not compensate?

Offline Tanalia

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »
That's mentioned in Reference 5 at the end of the Wiki article:
They wore hooded flight suits which protected them against the descent module's chill, but not against depressurization.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »

They weren't wearing spacesuits.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 06:29:29 AM »

They didn't have any.

The design of the Soyuz and the spacesuits at the time was such that three crewmen could not all wear them and fit into the cabin and be able to actually move around to do anything. Disturbingly, with the same mentality that led directly to all three of the major NASA accidents (namely: we've done it this way for a while and nothing has happened yet, so it must be safe) they routinely allowed cosmonauts to go up without wearing space suits, though they may have had them to put on for EVA and the like. Soyuz did not require all cosmonauts to have pressure suits when EVA's occurred on the missions, because, with their modular design, the re-entry cabin could be sealed off while the forward module was depressurised and opened. This is in contrast to the NASA spacecraft that only had one cabin that was opened to space when the hatch was open, so all astronauts needed pressure suits if an EVA was to be performed.

The three main cockups were:

1: No pressure suits during re-entry.

2: Simultaneous detonation of explosive bolts that should have been sequential, which created a bigger jolt than expected, jarring open a valve.

3: The valve in question being located behind one of the seats, making it impossible for the cosmonauts to find and seal it in time. Had it been on the wall in front of them, for example, one of them could have put a gloved finger over the vent hole and plugged it, allowing them to survive re-entry.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:29:44 PM »
Also, as a result of the Soyuz 11 tragedy, the Soyuz crews where limited to 2 in full space suits - 3 in full suits wouldn't fit in. It wouldn't be until 1979 when 3 full suited crew members flew in the Soyuz-T.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz-T
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 03:19:52 AM »
As I understand it, the Soyuz 11 accident had a direct effect on US practice: starting on Apollo 15, astronauts suited up before jettisoning the LM. This involved firing explosives on the top of the CM that released the entire docking mechanism along with the LM, and there was the possibility of damaging cabin integrity.

Soyuz 11 also figured prominently in the planning for ASTP: NASA quite reasonably wanted assurance that the causes of the accident had been thoroughly understood and fixed.

I think about Soyuz 11 every time I see one of those ISS tour videos. Just count all the windows, hatches and module connections.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
As I understand it, the Soyuz 11 accident had a direct effect on US practice: starting on Apollo 15, astronauts suited up before jettisoning the LM. This involved firing explosives on the top of the CM that released the entire docking mechanism along with the LM, and there was the possibility of damaging cabin integrity.

Soyuz 11 also figured prominently in the planning for ASTP: NASA quite reasonably wanted assurance that the causes of the accident had been thoroughly understood and fixed.

I think about Soyuz 11 every time I see one of those ISS tour videos. Just count all the windows, hatches and module connections.
Are there any modules on ISS they can quickly close for refuge in case of a decompression accident, or is the plan to head for the Soyuz spacecraft, or both, depending where they are?
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 02:47:33 AM »
Check out the video I posted in the Crew Vertigo thread - Commander Suni Williams talks a little about emergency procedures.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
Check out the video I posted in the Crew Vertigo thread - Commander Suni Williams talks a little about emergency procedures.
Thanks, great vids.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir