Author Topic: The Socorro UFO case was a hoax?  (Read 8086 times)

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
The Socorro UFO case was a hoax?
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »
I just heard about this. Evidently it was uncovered 3 years ago. It is based on second-hand accounts so I will withhold permanently stowing it in my brain. Although second-hand accounts of a hoax is googleplexy more plausible than a first-hand account of a close encounter of the first kind.

The UFO Iconoclast(s): THE SOCORRO UFO HOAX EXPOSED! (Famous 1964 sighting was a college prank) by Anthony Bragalia

After 45 years the truth is now revealed- one of the most famous UFO sightings in history was a hoax. The recent confession of an elderly College President -and a newly discovered document- indicate that the 1964 sighting of a landed UFO by Socorro, NM policeman Lonnie Zamora was the result of an elaborate school prank. This incredible story is publicly recounted for the first time ever by individuals who have held the secret of Socorro for decades.

Follow-up from yesterday: The Bragalia Files: THE ULTIMATE SECRET OF SOCORRO FINALLY TOLD: NEW DETAILS ON WORLD-FAMOUS 1964 UFO HOAX

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: The Socorro UFO case was a hoax?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:03:40 AM »
Isn't Bragalia just another UFO huckster?  While I think we can all agree that a hoax is the more plausible scenario, Bragalia's blog as the source doesn't offer up much in the way of accuracy for that particular hoax story either.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 11:05:55 AM »
Isn't Bragalia just another UFO huckster?  While I think we can all agree that a hoax is the more plausible scenario, Bragalia's blog as the source doesn't offer up much in the way of accuracy for that particular hoax story either.

True, but he is citing a living person that can verify the story, so he can't spin it too much.

Offline inconceivable

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:42:27 PM »
This story doesn't seem to be a confession.  When reading it  notice that it is speculative such as they may have done this and may have done that.  Nobody supposedly involved ever comes forward as witness.  No proof as hoax.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
This story doesn't seem to be a confession.  When reading it  notice that it is speculative such as they may have done this and may have done that.  Nobody supposedly involved ever comes forward as witness.  No proof as hoax.
Not proof so much as a plausible accounting of the event. A hoax story is infinitely more plausible than speculation about an ET UFO, even when given by a questionable source.  Sometimes plausible is all history leaves us.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett