Author Topic: Apollo 15 backgrounds... again  (Read 9882 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Apollo 15 backgrounds... again
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 11:56:17 AM »
Right next to Sulu, how appropriate. :)

Indeed, George and his husband are wonderful and very cordial people.  Fans of Futurama will recognize to whom the autograph is inscribed.

Also, double points if you can identify the significance of the teapot.

No idea what meaning it has. :(
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 12:16:42 PM »
As modelled, that tea pot originally had no base, yes?

Indeed it did not.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Drewid

• Venus
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »

Indeed, George and his husband are wonderful and very cordial people.  Fans of Futurama will recognize to whom the autograph is inscribed.

The Utah Teapot.  The 3D modelled version was scaled in the vertical during a demo so it's now shorter than the real one.
3DS Max (and a number of other 3D creation tools) have the Utah teapot as one of it's primitive shapes.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:14:21 PM by Drewid »

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »

The Utah Teapot.  The 3D modelled version was scaled in the vertical during a demo so it's now shorter than the real one.
3DS Max (and a number of other 3D creation tools) have the Utah teapot as one of it's primitive shapes.
Also known as "the sixth Platonic solid"  :D

Returning to the original subject, even a cursory glance shows that the two backgrounds are not identical, so it's more a case of shooting the hoax in the foot than proving it.  Yet another not very well thought through claim...
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »
I'm sure this one has come up before, but I have a HB complaining about the 'similar' backgrounds in AS15-82-11082 and AS15-82-11057.

What is the HB's problem with the backgrounds, exactly? "Similar"? They are the same hills! If he/she thinks they are a painted backdrop, then why aren't they identical, rather than just similar? If they are not, in fact, real, distant, three-dimensional hills, then why does a comparison of the two images show changes in perspective, with the ridge lines hiding portions of the hill behind? (Look particularly at the "notch" at the lowest point of the "skyline".)

(Note, brightness and contrast adjusted to show detail better)

Surely photos like these, showing the same backgrounds from different vantage points, are some of the best proof that they were taken in a real, vast, three-dimensional landscape?
Gorgeous animation. Seeing parallax illustrated like that makes the landscape feel so real. It might even have been.

You're too busy to be Melvar. Busy with things like stealing Melvar's stuff.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »
When you've been to as many Star Trek conventions as he has, you will know that Melllvar is spelled with three Ls.  ;)
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 02:03:53 AM »
I just discovered George Takei's hilarious Amazon product reviews a few days ago. He wrote a bunch of them during the summer of 2013, but alas no more since that I could find. Most of them begin with Brad getting him said product for his birthday.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 07:51:51 PM »
Gorgeous animation. Seeing parallax illustrated like that makes the landscape feel so real. It might even have been.
I have a pair of red cyan 3D glasses, and I love to look at the Apollo anaglyphs with them. They really help you appreciate just how rough the terrain was, and, yes, help it feel that much more real.