Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 461273 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #1410 on: February 12, 2016, 08:39:41 AM »
the ISS is an inflatable?
I don't remember who made this claim and in what context. Was it somebody claiming that rockets don't work in vacuum so it's impossible to put anything into orbit outside the atmosphere?

If so, it would be amusing to estimate the ballistic coefficient of an "inflatable ISS", and how many milliseconds such an object moving at the observed velocity within the atmosphere would take to completely vaporize.

(The ballistic coefficient of an object is the ratio of its mass to its cross sectional area times its drag coefficient. I.e., a balloon would have a low mass and a high cross sectional area, so it would have an extremely low ballistic coefficient. It would therefore decelerate very quickly in an atmosphere.)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:44:03 AM by ka9q »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1411 on: February 12, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »
the ISS is an inflatable?
I don't remember who made this claim and in what context. Was it somebody claiming that rockets don't work in vacuum so it's impossible to put anything into orbit outside the atmosphere?

If so, it would be amusing to estimate the ballistic coefficient of an "inflatable ISS", and how many milliseconds such an object moving at the observed velocity within the atmosphere would take to completely vaporize.

(The ballistic coefficient of an object is the ratio of its mass to its cross sectional area times its drag coefficient. I.e., a balloon would have a low mass and a high cross sectional area, so it would have an extremely low ballistic coefficient. It would therefore decelerate very quickly in an atmosphere.)
IIRC it was Neil commenting on the ISS being a balloon, not a metallic satellite.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1412 on: February 12, 2016, 09:02:09 AM »
IIRC it was Neil commenting on the ISS being a balloon, not a metallic satellite.
I forget -- did Neil believe rockets couldn't work in space, or was that somebody else?

There are so many whackjobs out there with so many off-the-wall beliefs that it's getting hard to tell them apart without a scorecard. It used to be (so it seemed) that all we ran into were people who thought Apollo was faked, but that space flight was otherwise real.

But all of a sudden there seems to be a big influx of people who insist rocket engines can't work in space where there's no air to push on, and of the even-farther-gone flat earthers.

So many of these "independent critical thinkers" repeat so many of the same talking points that either there are a lot of sock puppets out there, or (more likely, I think) some nutjob's book or website suddenly got a lot of attention from a lot of like-minded people who are now merely repeating the same claims.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1413 on: February 12, 2016, 09:10:55 AM »
I forget -- did Neil believe rockets couldn't work in space, or was that somebody else?

There are so many whackjobs out there with so many off-the-wall beliefs that it's getting hard to tell them apart without a scorecard. It used to be (so it seemed) that all we ran into were people who thought Apollo was faked, but that space flight was otherwise real.

But all of a sudden there seems to be a big influx of people who insist rocket engines can't work in space where there's no air to push on, and of the even-farther-gone flat earthers.

So many of these "independent critical thinkers" repeat so many of the same talking points that either there are a lot of sock puppets out there, or (more likely, I think) some nutjob's book or website suddenly got a lot of attention from a lot of like-minded people who are now merely repeating the same claims.
Not going back into the thread, I don't believe he thought rockets wouldn't work, just that manned work outside a vehicle, thereby construction the ISS.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dr_Orpheus

• Venus
« Reply #1414 on: February 12, 2016, 09:35:42 AM »

Then you've got Heiwa you believes unmanned spaceflight is possible, but not manned because safe atmospheric reentry is impossible.  I think he got banned from some ultra-nutty forum for promoting the mainstream lie that rockets work in a vacuum.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #1415 on: February 12, 2016, 10:48:06 AM »

Then you've got Heiwa you believes unmanned spaceflight is possible, but not manned because safe atmospheric reentry is impossible.  I think he got banned from some ultra-nutty forum for promoting the mainstream lie that rockets work in a vacuum.

Wasn't that Cluesforum? You know you are in the company of complete nutters when Bjorkmann appears to be the most sensible of them all!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1416 on: February 12, 2016, 11:51:55 AM »

Wasn't that Cluesforum? You know you are in the company of complete nutters when Bjorkmann appears to be the most sensible of them all!
LOL ;D  That is a refuge for the clueless.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dr_Orpheus

• Venus
« Reply #1417 on: February 12, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »

I think it was Clueless forum.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1418 on: February 12, 2016, 07:07:31 PM »

You should try Godlike Productions... just make sure your coffee is nowhere near your monitor or keyboard. The level of stupid there can be breathtaking at times.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Philthy

• Venus
« Reply #1419 on: February 12, 2016, 07:41:26 PM »
This place makes GLP seem like it's populated by geniuses.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?board=20.0

Phil
The capacity of conspiracy theorists to deny science and hand-wave away evidence is infinite, as is their level of stupid. -- Smartcooky

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #1420 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:31 PM »

Phil

True, but I think the troll content is higher than GLP there.  Most of the flat earthers there don't really believe it and are just trolling.  Even a few of the moderators fall into that category.  While there are trolls at GLP, there are far more that truly believe the crap they post.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1421 on: February 12, 2016, 08:21:26 PM »

Phil

True, but I think the troll content is higher than GLP there.  Most of the flat earthers there don't really believe it and are just trolling.  Even a few of the moderators fall into that category.  While there are trolls at GLP, there are far more that truly believe the crap they post.
Why do you believe that "Most of the flat earthers there don't really believe it and are just trolling"?  I find it hard to decipher whether they are or aren't.
Eugene Cernan

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #1422 on: February 12, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »

Phil

Why do you believe that "Most of the flat earthers there don't really believe it and are just trolling"?  I find it hard to decipher whether they are or aren't.
Hang around long enough and you'll see many are not consistent.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #1423 on: February 12, 2016, 08:35:20 PM »

Phil

Hang around long enough and you'll see many are not consistent.
That hardly proves they're trolls though. ;)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1424 on: February 12, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »

Phil

You do realise that the site is actually a Poe?

The people who started it were on the wind up; they created a one-stop-shop where flat earthers could make public fools of themselves, while the site owners cashed in on sales of coffee cups, T-Shirts and other accessories to the delusional  disciples.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.