Author Topic: VLTI and Imaging Apollo  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Trebor

• Earth
VLTI and Imaging Apollo
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:59:51 AM »
I am seeing some babble from some hoaxers that the The Very Large Telescope Interferometer could used to image Apollo landing sites. And that they have not is somehow evidence of something.
While I am under the impression that Interferometry by this telescope array can not be used for visible light only longer IR wavelengths and can only be used on high contrast objects...

Is this correct?
What is the actual ability of the VLTI ?

Offline Ranb

• Mars
Re: VLTI and Imaging Apollo
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »
You could refer them to this; http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/V/VLT.html
This gives the VLT a maximum angular resolution of about 0.001 arc-second at 1 micron wavelength (in the near-infrared), which is equivalent to about 2 meters at the distance of the Moon. (The Moon has an angular diameter of 0.5° and a linear diameter of 3476 km; 0.5°/0.001" = 1,800,000; 3476 km/1,800,000 ~ 2 m). Used in interferometric as distint from individual-instrument mode, however, the VLT is only sensitive to objects with a high surface brightness, such as stars and the nuclei of active galaxies. This makes it unsuitable for observing most objects in the Solar System apart from the Sun.
The Wikipedia article also has some info.  Not sure how you are going to convince them that any photos of the LEM descent stage in the future are a hoax as the hardware was placed (they will claim) there decades later.  :)

Ranb

Offline Trebor

• Earth
Re: VLTI and Imaging Apollo
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »
The Wikipedia article also has some info.  Not sure how you are going to convince them that any photos of the LEM descent stage in the future are a hoax as the hardware was placed (they will claim) there decades later.  :)

Ranb

It's mostly for my information rather than theirs. I know my limits :)