Author Topic: Thinking about the film...  (Read 13140 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: Thinking about the film...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »
So you see, it wasn't his fault for getting it wrong, it was the professor's.

His modus operandi in a nutshell. I got it wrong, but I'll blame someone/something else.

Who can ever forget the 1.5 x 1 error, the polar orbit and his complete misunderstanding of masses falling at the same rate? All the fault of someone/something else. Even Sony Vegas didn't escape the blame. I know, I'll blame it on the software.

It is really time he fessed  and just admitted he's as useless at physics and maths as Ralph Rene was. It is tiresome that he keeps getting caught on the hop with these errors and wooly thinking, yet seems to think he can continue to slander the name of good men and women who achieved so much more than he ever has, and for that matter, ever will.

In his recent offering he talks about VAB electrons at 50+ MeV emitting bremsstrahlung x-rays with energies of 27 MeV.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »
I wonder how his Astrophysics degree is going?

Obviously still wallowing in the math prereqs.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »
...his excuse is that he employed a method he had used [previously].

The 'professor' who marked it did not point out his error, so he believed he had done the maths correctly.

Oh heavens, that's the least credible "dog ate my homework" excuse I have yet heard from him.  If he plans to pit his knowledge and skill against the entire world's aerospace community, one never gets to put off responsibility like that.  Regardless of what "professor" or other party failed to note his error in some other context, he should have known whether to multiply or divide.  That's how things work in the real world.  You either know the right way, or you don't -- and in engineering if you don't know, the lawyers beat down your door.  "I made a mistake, but it's someone else's fault for not catching it," is still tantamount to, "I don't know how to do it the right way."

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 03:48:58 PM »
His modus operandi in a nutshell. I got it wrong, but I'll blame someone/something else.

Who can ever forget the [many conceptual errors]...?

It is really time he fessed  and just admitted he's as useless at physics and maths as Ralph Rene was.

Agreed.  The many errors he's made over the years are not just minor slip-ups or arithmetic errors.  He lacks a conceptual understanding of most things pertaining to space flight and space engineering.  And his laughably inept and dishonest attempts to excuse himself simply tell me he knows full well just how incompetent he really is and how much of this is really just a show for his meager posse of fans.

Let's not forget how he was offered the opportunity to present his claims to real astrophysics experts in his town, in connection with his mishandling of solar event data at IMDb, and how he completely ignored the invitation.  All he had to do was show up -- the rest had all been arranged.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 05:36:59 PM »
If he really is in university, I can only say I'd hate to be his instructors. Or adviser. I feel for them.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »
If he really is in university, I can only say I'd hate to be his instructors. Or adviser. I feel for them.

Yeah, I've taught college before.  We all fear that one student in every class who shows up thinking he's smarter than the instructor.  He wastes the whole class's time trying to prove that proposition, asking questions designed not to elicit information or reasoning but to try to trap the instructor in some meaningless error or inconsequential debate.  Those students invariably do poorly on the assignments and exams, only to spend additional endless time arguing that they should have been adjudicated differently.

We only hope, for the sake of the rest of the students, that they burn out early and drop your class.  Happily, I actually had one student like that who was a prime example, and the best moment came when -- in the midst of some pointless tirade I hoped to defuse -- another student yelled at him, "Dude, shut the f--- up!" whereupon the rest of the class applauded.  That guy never returned to class.  Would it happened like that all the time.