Author Topic: Ohoh! Looks like the hoaxheads mean business this time. New petition......  (Read 14632 times)

Offline ineluki

• Earth
Re: Ohoh! Looks like the hoaxheads mean business this time. New petition......
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/provide-full-disclosure-nasa-and-apollo-moon-landings

Just to put the THREE votes into perspective

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/secure-resources-and-funding-and-begin-construction-death-star-2016
> 34K Votes

A study to build the Enterprise
http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/bte-petition-expires-and-the-empire-strikes-back
> 7K Votes

P.S.
I guess that shows the real popularity (as opposed to the alleged polls Moonhoaxers love to claim, but can't show) of the subject
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:20:40 AM by ineluki »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
Well said, Brother Maynard. Perhaps the hoaxheads are hoping for a lobbing of the grenade to defeat the legions of NASA shills?

"Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

*** The number of the counting still be three!!

;D ;D ;D

I'm tempted to go on and give them a vote, just to get it off 3. The poor lambs!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 11:14:30 AM »
Well said, Brother Maynard. Perhaps the hoaxheads are hoping for a lobbing of the grenade to defeat the legions of NASA shills?

"Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

;D ;D ;D

I'm tempted to go on and give them a vote, just to get it off 3. The poor lambs!

Just say, NO, don't do it. :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
They must realize that they finally have a President that is irrational enough to take them seriously.

Trump has shown himself to be a conspiracy theorist (Obama birth certificate, JFK assassination, climate change denial, anti-vaccinations), so this petition was likely created because they think he'd be open to the idea that the moon landings were faked.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who is the Prez. Facts are facts are facts.

Worst case scenario, though, is that someone convinces Trump he'll go down in history as the person who Exposed the Truth (as he wanted to do with Obama's birth). He'll drag in the NASA heads, and demand that they reveal all the evidence that proves it was a hoax. When they tell him, truthfully, it doesn't exist, he'll explode and decide that, as his science head tells him, we don't really need publicly funded research. After all, they wouldn't play ball with him, and Trump doesn't lose gracefully.

Fortunately, Trump is big on American exceptionalism, and I suspect he'd not be big on taking away one of the U.S.'s biggest scientific bragging points. Because he's all about the bragging points.

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Four shalt thou not count, nor shall thou count two, save that ye proceed immediately to three.

Five is right out.
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 04:47:51 AM »

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/provide-full-disclosure-nasa-and-apollo-moon-landings

Just to put the THREE votes into perspective

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/secure-resources-and-funding-and-begin-construction-death-star-2016
> 34K Votes

A study to build the Enterprise
http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/bte-petition-expires-and-the-empire-strikes-back
> 7K Votes

P.S.
I guess that shows the real popularity (as opposed to the alleged polls Moonhoaxers love to claim, but can't show) of the subject
Build a Death Star? The ability to destroy a planet is not a hypermatter to be taken so light side.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 11:19:01 AM »
That was part of the official White House response, too.  Clearly whoever wrote it is a fan, anyway.

Which is actually the same as the link above.  But read it; the response is there.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »
That was part of the official White House response, too.  Clearly whoever wrote it is a fan, anyway.

Which is actually the same as the link above.  But read it; the response is there.

That is a clever piece of writing.

(the number of the counting remains 3)
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
They must realize that they finally have a President that is irrational enough to take them seriously.

Trump has shown himself to be a conspiracy theorist (Obama birth certificate, JFK assassination, climate change denial, anti-vaccinations), so this petition was likely created because they think he'd be open to the idea that the moon landings were faked.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who is the Prez. Facts are facts are facts.

Worst case scenario, though, is that someone convinces Trump he'll go down in history as the person who Exposed the Truth (as he wanted to do with Obama's birth). He'll drag in the NASA heads, and demand that they reveal all the evidence that proves it was a hoax. When they tell him, truthfully, it doesn't exist, he'll explode and decide that, as his science head tells him, we don't really need publicly funded research. After all, they wouldn't play ball with him, and Trump doesn't lose gracefully.

Fortunately, Trump is big on American exceptionalism, and I suspect he'd not be big on taking away one of the U.S.'s biggest scientific bragging points. Because he's all about the bragging points.

I'd be a lot less worried about this if Alex "Infowars" Jones weren't part of Trump's inner circle. 

Somehow, we've managed to put genuinely mentally ill people in power. 

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »
The dangerous kind of mentally ill people, too, not those like the majority of us who live quiet lives not causing too much harm to anyone.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 03:11:20 AM »

I'd be a lot less worried about this if Alex "Infowars" Jones weren't part of Trump's inner circle. 

Somehow, we've managed to put genuinely mentally ill people in power. 

Really? Alex Jones, the world's no 1 nutbar conspiracy theorist, has the ear of POTUS?

Unbelievable. You couldn't make this stuff up!

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 07:38:06 AM »
That is a clever piece of writing.

I have not checked many of them, but it seems they really have some fun answering.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/declare-major-league-baseball-opening-day-national-holiday

"While we are sympathetic to your pitch to make Opening Day a national holiday, it's a little outside our strike zone: creating permanent federal holidays is traditionally the purview of Congress. So, it's up to the men and women on Capitol Hill to decide whether to swing at this pitch."

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 11:22:58 AM »
Really? Alex Jones, the world's no 1 nutbar conspiracy theorist, has the ear of POTUS?

Really.  It's why I don't believe you should have to be of any particular political affiliation to be deeply worried about the potential for harm of a Trump administration.  Between the conspiracists and the "alt-Right"--read, Nazis--there's a lot of worry to go around.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »

Really.  It's why I don't believe you should have to be of any particular political affiliation to be deeply worried about the potential for harm of a Trump administration.  Between the conspiracists and the "alt-Right"--read, Nazis--there's a lot of worry to go around.

I'm rooting for an excess of infighting and turf wars, such that the administration will be effectively non-functional.  It won't stop them (or Congress) from doing real harm, but it will hopefully slow them down. 

And you have to admit, knife fights between Bannon and Jones would be entertaining.  Horrifying, but entertaining. 

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 03:45:47 PM »
Verily, thine number shall remain at 3.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov