Author Topic: "Apollo 11" Documentary  (Read 19596 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: "Apollo 11" Documentary
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »
The TLI burn from the ground would be great.  Does anyone know where a link to any of the TLI's might be?  The only one that I have seen is http://pages.astronomy.ua.edu/keel/space/apollo.html  and there are only a couple of the TLI itself.  I know they were over the Pacific normally and not too many people have telescopes on the water.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »
I didn't see any of the Apollo TLIs, but we did see the TMI (Trans Mars Injection?) burn of the Falcon 9 Heavy last year. That was fun. I'm sure the Saturn V TLIs were even more impressive.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 12:51:21 PM »
I didn't see any of the Apollo TLIs, but we did see the TMI (Trans Mars Injection?) burn of the Falcon 9 Heavy last year. That was fun. I'm sure the Saturn V TLIs were even more impressive.

The footage in the A11 documentary is only a few seconds long, but it does show the SIVB light up.  Looked like they had trouble tracking right after that. 

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 07:11:28 PM »

The footage in the A11 documentary is only a few seconds long, but it does show the SIVB light up.  Looked like they had trouble tracking right after that.

Well they had to get it somewhere.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »

Well they had to get it somewhere.

Ah, now I understand what you're asking.  I'm guessing this is from the same source as the wide-angle launch view (the 69mm film that was never used until now). 

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »
Scott Manley just posted a video that explains the footage of the S-IVB relight.  It may not be what you expect!

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 02:47:04 PM »
Nothing new to me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 03:53:40 AM »
At the office, we're fans.  I want to have him narrate all my presentations.
Scott Manley the manly Scot. Hot damn does he have a sexy voice! :o
And, yes, very fascinating and informative to boot!

OMG, I can't believe the number of otherwise perfectly sane women who go ga-ga over a male Scot's accent!!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 03:04:24 AM »

OMG, I can't believe the number of otherwise perfectly sane women who go ga-ga over a male Scot's accent!!
Maybe there's hope for me yet...  ;D
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 03:03:25 AM »

And the not-so-sane ones! I blame Sean Connery.  ;D

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
I'm already a kilt-wearing Scot.  My mother's father is true-blue Clan Bell -- from the borderlands.  My mother's mother is McInnes, with influences from MacFarlane and MacLaren.  But I'll never be a Scott Manley manly Scot no matter how much Lagavulin I have in the cabinet.  Plus, if you've seen the Bell tartan...
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline jr Knowing

• Earth
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2019, 11:31:00 PM »
The doc showed a clip of the CSM orbiting the moon in the movie right after they finished up on the moon's surface. I didn't catch if that was a simulation or real footage. And if it was real, was it DAC footage or TV footage? And does anyone have a link? Thanks.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 12:42:38 AM »
The doc showed a clip of the CSM orbiting the moon in the movie right after they finished up on the moon's surface. I didn't catch if that was a simulation or real footage. And if it was real, was it DAC footage or TV footage? And does anyone have a link? Thanks.

Real, not simulated.  16mm film.  Link to what?  The source footage?

Offline jr Knowing

• Earth
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »
Hi Jay,

Thanks, I thought it was DAC footage. Does anyone have a link to it? I can't seem to find it in any of the Journals. It is probably right in front of my eyes but I can't seem to locate it.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 12:30:29 PM »
There's no guarantee it will be available digitized for download.  The producers obtained the source footage as the original dupe masters -- i.e., film.  You may have to contact NASA's photo archive contractor to obtain similar footage.