Author Topic: I edited Sibrel's MoonMovie video  (Read 12401 times)

Offline Ranb

• Mars
I edited Sibrel's MoonMovie video
« on: March 07, 2020, 01:16:11 AM »
While I was recovering from a hernia repair, I downloaded Bart Sibrel's "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon" from YouTube.  Several years ago I had responded to a person who thought it was an awesome video with a long list of errors it contained.

I decided that captions in the video that contained my comments whenever the narrator said something stupid would be more appropriate.  I sped up the two montages by 8x and the credits by 16x. This makes the video six minutes shorter. 

After the credits I put in some information of my own referring people to this forum, the Apollo Journal, SG Collins' videos on why it was easier to go to the moon than fake it, the Sibrel Rationalwiki entry and his YouTube video showing Aldrin's right hook.

Using 40 minutes of Sibrel's property for a video I edited is beyond "fair use", so I'll probably never post it online, but it was fun to make.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Re: I edited Sibrel's MoonMovie video
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 11:35:47 AM »
I thought about doing that once too. I remember discussing "A Funny Thing Happened..." with Sibrel on the forum that Fox used to have back when they aired their moon hoax conspiracy program in 2001. His arguments were so easy to debunk that I can't believe other conspiracy theorists even take him seriously.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline HyperOreo

• Mercury
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 08:23:55 PM »
I don't mean to stray too far from the Apollo subject, but I need to get this out: Bart Sibrel is a very interesting psychological subject. He claims to be a very devout Christian, but considering his very willful crimes against humanity, he clearly does not fear god's judgment...

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:38:42 AM »
When I read the thread title I thought you were here in a whistleblower role.   ;D

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 01:47:07 AM »
It is striking, how often the 9th commandment doesn't apply to them.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline NthBrick

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 08:25:57 PM »
I don't mean to stray too far from the Apollo subject, but I need to get this out: Bart Sibrel is a very interesting psychological subject. He claims to be a very devout Christian, but considering his very willful crimes against humanity, he clearly does not fear god's judgment...
Eh, I think the hypocrisy is certainly worth bringing up. The audiences of people like Sibrel, in my experience, tend to view them as some sort of righteous soldiers for the truth, or something along those lines. That said, despite their (often) professions of Christianity, they routinely lie, insult, employ foul language, and censor those who dispute what they're saying.

There's actually a term that's been coined for this, "The Truther Paradox": https://mctoon.net/truther-paradox/

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 12:24:04 PM »
Bart's harassment of Apollo astronauts seems to have bounced back on him in 2009:--
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/14/science/space/14hoax.html

Mr. Sibrel, who sells his films online, has hounded Apollo astronauts with a Bible, insisting that they swear on camera they had walked on the Moon. He so annoyed Buzz Aldrin in 2002 -- ambushing him with his Bible and calling him “a coward, and a liar, and a thief” -- that Mr. Aldrin punched Mr. Sibrel in the face. Law enforcement officials refused to file charges against Mr. Aldrin, the second man on the Moon.

In an interview, Mr. Sibrel said that his efforts to prove that men never walked on the Moon has cost him dearly. “I have suffered only persecution and financial loss,” he said. “I’ve lost visitation with my son. I’ve been expelled from churches. All because I believe the Moon landings are fraudulent.”
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 03:36:35 PM »
The correct quote is "A coward, a liar and a thwooof".
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 04:40:38 PM »
From the link;
All because I believe the Moon landings are fraudulent.”
I think what he really means is "All because I stalk astronauts, libel them and trespass on their property."  Playing the victim is one more Sibrel performance that is completely unconvincing.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 07:48:53 PM »
Bart's harassment of Apollo astronauts seems to have bounced back on him in 2009:--
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/14/science/space/14hoax.html

Mr. Sibrel, who sells his films online, has hounded Apollo astronauts with a Bible, insisting that they swear on camera they had walked on the Moon. He so annoyed Buzz Aldrin in 2002 -- ambushing him with his Bible and calling him “a coward, and a liar, and a thief” -- that Mr. Aldrin punched Mr. Sibrel in the face. Law enforcement officials refused to file charges against Mr. Aldrin, the second man on the Moon.

In an interview, Mr. Sibrel said that his efforts to prove that men never walked on the Moon has cost him dearly. “I have suffered only persecution and financial loss,” he said. “I’ve lost visitation with my son. I’ve been expelled from churches. All because I believe the Moon landings are fraudulent.”

Ooooh goody, goody, goody. Another opportunity to post my favorite gif....

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 01:39:34 AM »
From the link;
All because I believe the Moon landings are fraudulent.”
I think what he really means is "All because I stalk astronauts, libel them and trespass on their property."  Playing the victim is one more Sibrel performance that is completely unconvincing.
Yep.  Just another case of telling a truth, but not the WHOLE truth.  I purposely substituted "a truth" for "the truth" here, so no one can misinterpret the sentence by thinking I mean telling "the truth" is an appropriate description of his character.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 10:12:12 AM »
The financial loss claim is hooey.  Since he ran his video-peddling as a business, he had to make public filings that showed six-figure revenues.  Plus, the people I talked to who knew him personally specifically said he was doing it to keep himself in a lifestyle he could not otherwise afford.  And i know how much he charges for appearance fees.  As to the other things, I suspect they have more do to with his brushes with the law than with his Moon hoax claims.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 04:49:23 AM »
The financial loss claim is hooey.  Since he ran his video-peddling as a business, he had to make public filings that showed six-figure revenues.

But don't forget... the production costs for Brother Bart were well over half a million dollars.  The shipping & handling on those "never before seen" NASA reels is outrageous. 

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 05:19:07 AM »
It's something that really ticks me off when people says 'x y z bad stuff has happened to me all because I believe a b c.' No, no, no, and NO! You can believe what you like. Belief is internal. It's how you act on that belief that dictates how people respond to you and what consequences you encounter.

Besides which, I don't for one moment think, given what I have seen of his actions and from my own interaction with him some years ago, that he actually believes or cares if Apollo was faked, he just uses it to try and make a name for himself.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 11:15:08 PM »
I don't for one moment think, given what I have seen of his actions and from my own interaction with him some years ago, that he actually believes or cares if Apollo was faked, he just uses it to try and make a name for himself.

Lately poor Bart has been begging the public for donations.  Youtube demonetized his videos based on their lack of scientific validity.