Author Topic: Why was the Apollo 14 radiation dosage so high?  (Read 6889 times)

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
Why was the Apollo 14 radiation dosage so high?
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »
I've been revisiting Bob's outstanding article, Apollo and the Van Allen Belts:

http://www.braeunig.us/apollo/VABraddose.htm

In the dose chart at the very end of the article it's hard to miss how high Apollo 14 was, contrasted to the others -- more than twice as much as each of the last three missions, which lasted longer. Conversely, Apollo 15 was surprisingly low.

Why such unexpected variations? Solar activity?
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Re: Why was the Apollo 14 radiation dosage so high?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:15:23 AM »
I know this is an incomplete answer, but I seem to remember that one of the personal dosimeters failed on 14, so the CDR and LMP took the two functioning ones along on the landing; that probably skewed the figures somewhat.  I believe that 14 also (for some reason, perhaps related to the landing site?) took a more, um, equatorial trajectory at TLI, so the would have picked up more in the VAB.

As you know, Bob, they were still well below anything like dangerous levels.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »

As you know, Bob, they were still well below anything like dangerous levels.

Oh sure, I know that. But it would be interesting to know why it was so comparatively high, and why A15 was so low.
(Brant)

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guruâ„¢
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »

Good question.  Unfortunately I don't know the answer.

I believe that 14 also (for some reason, perhaps related to the landing site?) took a more, um, equatorial trajectory at TLI, so the would have picked up more in the VAB.

Apollo 14's TLI inclination was pretty typical.  It was Apollo 17 that actually had the lowest inclination.

TLI Inclination
Apollo 8 = 30.636o
Apollo 10 = 31.698o
Apollo 11 = 31.383o
Apollo 12 = 30.555o
Apollo 13 = 31.817o
Apollo 14 = 30.834o
Apollo 15 = 29.696o
Apollo 16 = 32.511o
Apollo 17 = 28.466o

I don't know the inclinations of the return trajectories without doing a bunch of math that I don't want to do.  The only one I know for sure is Apollo 11, which was 39.925o.

Also note that these inclinations are with respect to the geographic equator.  When dealing with the VAB, what matters is the inclination with respect to the geomagnetic equator.  Perhaps Apollo 14's geomagnetic inclination was less than the other missions, but it would again take quite a bit of math to figure that out.  Unfortunately that is something I really don't feel like taking the time to figure out (maybe someday but not today).

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 11:23:58 PM »

The only one I know for sure is Apollo 11, which was 39.925o.

<chuckle>...give or take a few inches!

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 09:12:16 PM »

One report says A14 travelled through the center of the inner belt, http://books.google.com/books?id=LGIrAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA60&ots=O67m8RgKOa&dq=apollo%2014%20radiation&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false (page 60).

There was a significant solar flare on January 25, 1971, a week before Apollo 14 launched. Could there have been any additional proton levels in the belts as a result?

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 11:49:23 PM »
Was the higher dose received during the transit of the VAB? It was my understanding the CDR and LMP got higher doses because they landed in a high KREEP area.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 12:51:35 AM »
KREEP's not that radioactive. It's got about 1% K, 10 ppm Th and 4 ppm U.  Less than a typical granite.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »

Good question.  Unfortunately I don't know the answer.

I believe that 14 also (for some reason, perhaps related to the landing site?) took a more, um, equatorial trajectory at TLI, so the would have picked up more in the VAB.

Apollo 14's TLI inclination was pretty typical.  It was Apollo 17 that actually had the lowest inclination.

TLI Inclination
Apollo 8 = 30.636o
Apollo 10 = 31.698o
Apollo 11 = 31.383o
Apollo 12 = 30.555o
Apollo 13 = 31.817o
Apollo 14 = 30.834o
Apollo 15 = 29.696o
Apollo 16 = 32.511o
Apollo 17 = 28.466o

I don't know the inclinations of the return trajectories without doing a bunch of math that I don't want to do.  The only one I know for sure is Apollo 11, which was 39.925o.

Also note that these inclinations are with respect to the geographic equator.  When dealing with the VAB, what matters is the inclination with respect to the geomagnetic equator.  Perhaps Apollo 14's geomagnetic inclination was less than the other missions, but it would again take quite a bit of math to figure that out.  Unfortunately that is something I really don't feel like taking the time to figure out (maybe someday but not today).

This is the only reference I've been able to find... there doesn't seem to be any further analysis anywhere, possibly because the dose was well under dangerous levels.

From the ALSJ, Apollo 14 Mission Report, Biomedical Section:

10.2.5 Radiation

The Lunar Module Pilot's personal radiation dosimeter failed to integrate the dosage properly after the first 24 hours of flight. To ensure that each lunar module crewman had a functional dosimeter while on the lunar surface, the Command Module Pilot transferred his unit to the Lunar Module Pilot on the fourth day of the mission. The final readings from the personal radiation dosimeters yielded net integrated (uncorrected) values of 640 and 630 millirads for the Commander and the Command Module Pilot, respectively. No value can be determined for the Lunar Module Pilot. The total radiation dose for each crewman was approximately 1.15 rads to the skin and 0.6 rad at a 5 centimeter tissue depth. These doses are the largest observed on any Apollo mission; however, they are well below the threshold of detectable medical effects. The magnitudes of the radiation doses were apparently the result of two factors: (1) The translunar injection trajectory lay closer to the plane of the geomagnetic equator than that of previous flights and, therefore, the spacecraft traveled through the heart of the trapped radiation belts. (2) The space radiation background was greater than previously experienced. Whole-body gamma spectroscopy was also performed postflight on the crew and indicated no cosmic ray induced radioactivity.

"Through the heart", I notice. Further evidence that the whole VAB radiation argument is nonsense.

A15's dosage was kind of low compared to the other J-missions, but it's a pretty small data group to draw many conclusions (layman's view, again), wouldn't you think?

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz