Author Topic: Useful reference links  (Read 18069 times)

Offline sts60

• Mars
Useful reference links
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »
I propose to collect handy references to specific topics here.  Also, I suppose, we could use links to some famous threads (e.g., the MoonMan megathreads here and on BAUT).   This thread could serve as a sort of index to detailed explanations, which are sometimes not easy to find with searches.

Although I don't make the rules, as the OP I'd like to humbly request that discussion of any issues mentioned herein be split out to their own threads.

So, my first link, and what got me thinking about this, is the Fun with Parallax thread from the old board. 

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
Re: Useful reference links
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:21:32 PM »
Here is a post where I talk about the temperature on the moon and how engineers control the temperature in equipment, spacesuits and spacecraft.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 10:27:26 PM »
Here is a thread about obscured cross-hairs in photographs and their relationship to camera exposure.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »
Just a reminder that if any of you want to copy the first post of a thread you started you're more than welcome to. You should still be able to log into the old forum and copy your posts by clicking the "Modify" button. All of the same bulletin board code from Proboards should work here, so your image tags etc. should still work.

I can copy individual posts myself, but since my name will be assigned to them it's better for the original author to do the copying.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »
There's a lot of useful links here, mostly aimed at debunking various hoax claims:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/apollo-hoax/links
At least one link there is out of date.  Here's the new link for Bob Andrepont's "apollopdf" collection:
http://www.scribd.com/users/bandrepont/document_collections
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:40:18 AM by gwiz »
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
Here are the threads in the old forum dealing with the claims of Eastern European CTs:

There are some other passing mentions, but the majority of information is in these ones.

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »
Speaking of useful reference links, does this software allow a list of "Recommended Websites" like we had at the bottom of the old forum?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »
Yep, it does and I keep meaning to add them but I've been busy with work. Are there any you think I should include in addition to the ones that were on the old forum?
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »
Yep, it does and I keep meaning to add them but I've been busy with work.

I don't mean to pressure you; take all the time you need.

Are there any you think I should include in addition to the ones that were on the old forum?

How about Phantom Wolf's web site?  I also think Bob Andrepont's document site  and Apollo by the Numbers would be an excellent additions. There's also my Apollo Pages site (though if I add a link to this from my other site, a separate listing would probably not be necessary).  If I think of any others I'll let you know.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 01:39:41 PM »
Yep, it does and I keep meaning to add them but I've been busy with work. Are there any you think I should include in addition to the ones that were on the old forum?

Tons!

Apollo Flight Journal
NASA's and LPI's Lunar Sample Catalogs
Apollo Image Atlas

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »
Apollo Image Atlas
Is there now a single, comprehensive, high quality web collection of all Apollo photography?

The Apollo Lunar Surface Journal seems complete for the lunar surface, but it excludes much of the photography taken during flight. Other sites do have some or most of this photography, but it's often of much poorer quality.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 01:12:55 PM »
Apollo Image Atlas
Is there now a single, comprehensive, high quality web collection of all Apollo photography?

There are three sites that I use for Apollo images:

Apollo Lunar Surface Journal
Apollo Image Atlas
Apollo Image Gallery

For pre-Apollo images, this one is the best I've seen:

March to the Moon

And this one has some good Soviet images:

Soviet Space Image Catalog

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:36 PM »
Apollo Image Atlas

The Apollo Lunar Surface Journal seems complete for the lunar surface, but it excludes much of the photography taken during flight. Other sites do have some or most of this photography, but it's often of much poorer quality.

The Apollo Image Atlas has a metric butt-ton but I don't know if it has them all: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/apollo/

Hmmm. The browse links aren't working. i will inform the webmaster.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 03:26:20 AM »
Heh.  Remember when rocky/DavidC claimed on the old board that all the "lurkers and viewers" supported him?  I started a thread for them to come out and support him.   Nineteen folks delurked, and every one said (to put it politely) that they did not agree with him.

Well, he tried it again on JREF, saying in the Apollo "hoax" thread that
Quote from: FatFreddy88/rocky
...I don't think many of the viewers are fooled.

I obligingly provided "the viewers" an opportunity to support him.  In a poll posted late last night (Eastern U.S. time).

Wow, JREF gets a lot of traffic.  It's been around five hours, and five dozen people have already chimed in.

Every one of them says he's wrong.

This is a good reference for rocky's next incarnation anywhere he might claim that the "viewers" actually support him on a forum where everyone is pointing out his wrongness.  Even though I am sure he'll get at least two votes this time (his own and Anders the troll).