Author Topic: Regarding certain audio oddities in Apollo  (Read 3355 times)

Offline BDL

• Venus
Regarding certain audio oddities in Apollo
« on: July 29, 2018, 06:34:54 AM »
Hello. This is actually my first post so I’m just starting to learn.
Anyways, this is in regards to audio oddities that are heard in some Apollo recordings.

In this video, there are a couple bits where some unexplained noises are heard when there apparently should be none. For example, when opening the lid, and dropping the lunar rock inside the bag. It doesn’t seem like the astronauts were really connected to, or in contact with that so I’m unsure why the noise was picked up by the microphone. When I first watched this video I had thought that the videomaker would merely parrot the same hoaxer nonsense as they usually do but to my surprise I was incorrect. This is the first time I’ve been genuinely stumped.

I’m sorry if this explanation should be obvious or has been answered somewhere before but as a layman I don’t really know as much as I’d like to. I’m an amateur computer programmer but that’s all I have going for me at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:41:46 AM by BDL »
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Re: Regarding certain audio oddities in Apollo
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 12:12:54 PM »
Hello and welcome.

My first reaction, and I am happy to be corrected, is that the astronauts are always in contact with something that will transmit vibrations - even if it's only the ground. I'd also think it's significant that they will be the only things making any kind of noise for miles around!

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »
Also, why would there be microphones on a set that is supposed to represent an AIRLESS surface?
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »
First, keep in mind that if, hypothetically, the scene was filmed on a movie set, there would be no need to have a live exterior microphone on the set.  In other words, no mike outside of the suit to pick up the sounds.

Second, why is the sound offset by 11 frames?  Is it to make spurious sounds in these selected segments kinda-sorta match the action?

Third, at 0:30 on the video, we clearly hear the name "Michael" spoken that is not part of the original audio.  What other audio artifacts have been either inadvertently or deliberately added?

"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
My first take on this is to suggest that you go to the original video in Apollo Lunar Surface Journal:  https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/frame.html

Then select the mission, then search for videos.  There may be a lot of videos and if you don't know any time stamps it might be a long list, but you will ultimately find the correct video then compare with the one you linked.  That way you will be able to hear/see artifacts put into the video by whomever if the producer.
Have fun and welcome to the board.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline BDL

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »
Yeah, it never really made sense to me what the hoaxers believed.
Somehow, apparently, they think that NASA’s stupid enough to use microphones on set (and forget to dub it)  - but somehow also genius enough to be able to fool the entire world for 50 years.
Their thinking is very irrational.
“One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” - Neil Armstrong, 1969

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »
Yeah, it never really made sense to me what the hoaxers believed.
Somehow, apparently, they think that NASA’s stupid enough to use microphones on set (and forget to dub it)  - but somehow also genius enough to be able to fool the entire world for 50 years.
Their thinking is very irrational.
Not to mention, they would need to do a dub over if they 'slowed down' the footage as so often claimed, so, once again, our conspiracy theory buddies contradict their own story.

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 12:04:19 AM »
Not to mention, they would need to do a dub over if they 'slowed down' the footage as so often claimed, so, once again, our conspiracy theory buddies contradict their own story.

That is a logical, rational and succinct demolition of the hoax promoter's claim.  So, of course they will NEVER accept it.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin