Author Topic: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?  (Read 832706 times)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1245 on: February 13, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »
And let's not forget that neither a pot of boiling water nor a hot oven is remotely analogous to the thermal conditions on the Moon.

The stupid, it (almost) burns!
Another case of "not even wrong". Putting a feather into a 200o oven has nothing to do with lunar surface conditions. But he's even wrong about what will happen to the feather in the oven!  So not only is his experiment totally meaningless, he assumed the wrong result.

It makes you wonder how some people ever learn to put their socks on before their shoes...

"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: So, who wants to win 1 million Euro?
« Reply #1246 on: February 13, 2013, 11:22:01 PM »
That too. Seriously, the whole thing was flabbergastingly insane.

You have to remember that they didn't start with such egregious misunderstanding of physics. They invented it when they thought it might help their conspiracy theory.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1247 on: February 13, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »
I especially like it when they end one of those baffingly insane, not-even-wrong claims with:

"It's physics!"

Cartoon physics, perhaps.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1248 on: February 14, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »
Another case of "not even wrong". Putting a feather into a 200o oven has nothing to do with lunar surface conditions. But he's even wrong about what will happen to the feather in the oven!  So not only is his experiment totally meaningless, he assumed the wrong result.

That's what makes it a Stundie.  In order to be a Stundie nominee, it's not enough merely to be wrong.  You have to be spectacularly wrong.

On a more serious note, I never know what to do with those arguments that are wrong in multiple ways.  In law you attack all the ways in which an argument is wrong, because you never know which one(s) the trier of fact will deem valid, so you present the entire case.  But often in informal debate it's better to stick to one line of rebuttal and follow it to the end.  The argument is clearer that way and avoids the impression that you're "all over the place."
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #1249 on: February 14, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
I especially like it when they end one of those baffingly insane, not-even-wrong claims with:

"It's physics!"

Indeed.  When I hear arguments along the lines of, "The official story violates the laws of physics," what I hear in my head is, "I'm giving you my socially- and politically-motivated emotional response to a load of intuition someone else spoon-fed me, but in order to make it sound less like made-up nonsense I'm going to make vague allusion to a required class I barely squeaked through in high school and haven't used in the intervening 15 years."
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #1250 on: February 14, 2013, 02:05:56 PM »
On GLP there are currently a bunch of folk who refuse to understand that the mass of an asteroid (specifically 2012 DA14) is irrelevant to its orbit.
Even after having it explained to them twenty times over.

It's annoying to say the least.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1251 on: February 14, 2013, 03:46:45 PM »
I just had a look at some of the DA14 threads on GLP.  I am stunned not only at the wilful ignorance but at the appalling abuse.  I feel a bit sick :(
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:48:35 PM by Andromeda »
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1252 on: February 14, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
I just had a look at some of the DA14 threads on GLP.  I am stunned not only at the wilful ignorance but at the appalling abuse.  I feel a bit sick :(
Aww, now you made me go look at the stupid.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1253 on: February 14, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »
On GLP there are currently a bunch of folk who refuse to understand that the mass of an asteroid (specifically 2012 DA14) is irrelevant to its orbit.

[devil's advocate]So if the moon was much more massive than it is in reality, say, it was the same physical size that it is now, but had the mass of Jupiter, it would trundle along happily in it's current orbit around the Earth; 29.53 days at at distance of 384,000 km? Really?[/devil's advocate]

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #1254 on: February 14, 2013, 06:04:44 PM »

Linky? Please don't make me search GLP for it.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #1255 on: February 14, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »

"It's physics!"

Indeed.  When I hear arguments along the lines of, "The official story violates the laws of physics," what I hear in my head is, "I'm giving you my socially- and politically-motivated emotional response to a load of intuition someone else spoon-fed me, but in order to make it sound less like made-up nonsense I'm going to make vague allusion to a required class I barely squeaked through in high school and haven't used in the intervening 15 years."
I would say that most of them never even had the one class.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #1256 on: February 14, 2013, 08:44:32 PM »
There are two pages of DA14 threads over there. Have one at random. NASA dunnit http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2139821/pg1

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1257 on: February 14, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
I would say that most of them never even had the one class.

Probably not.  It wasn't required in my high school.  You had to take one year of "physical science" (and a year of "life science") to graduate, but you could choose among several options--in my school, you had chemistry, physics, and a class just called "physical science," aimed at . . . shall we say, those who weren't college-bound?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #1258 on: February 14, 2013, 09:17:50 PM »
There are two pages of DA14 threads over there. Have one at random. NASA dunnit http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2139821/pg1

Thanks.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #1259 on: February 15, 2013, 02:08:58 AM »

[devil's advocate]So if the moon was much more massive than it is in reality, say, it was the same physical size that it is now, but had the mass of Jupiter, it would trundle along happily in it's current orbit around the Earth; 29.53 days at at distance of 384,000 km? Really?[/devil's advocate]

He did say "asteroid" which means M>>>>m.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.