Author Topic: Why I believe in the moon hoax theory  (Read 23257 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Why I believe in the moon hoax theory
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2016, 03:24:39 AM »
I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the development of suits.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spacesuits-Smithsonian-National-Collection-2009-05-05/dp/B01FGJMQDS/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

It's contents are beautifully photographed and the section on the preservation of the Moon suits is very interesting.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2016, 08:18:51 AM »
I'm still rather astounded at the concept of "I use information from the NASA site that I printed out in 1969."

It sounds like miker probably is too young to remember 1969, because in those days no one "printed off" information from a website. You might be able to photocopy things from books, but finding a copier could be tricky.

In my job I often have to go through personnel files to do service audits (changes from full-time to part-time, periods of leave without pay, stuff like that). Sometimes the files include old CVs or old duty statements. From reading what some people did early in their careers it's apparent that at least as late as the 1970s it was common for Australian Public Service departments to have a photocopying room: if you needed a book or document photocopied you took it to the photocopy room where the photocopy ladies (always women, never men) would do the photocopying for you (and possibly even keep a record of what they'd copied. So while I suppose it was possible to "do" some photocopying in 1969, it was more likely given to someone else to "do" (and they'd make a note of what you'd had copied).

In the 1960s I recall schoolteachers providing mimeographed exams with their weird chemical smell, not copied ones.

Yep. I remember those at school in the 1970s too. Everyone always inhaled deeply...

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »
Those are undoubtedly the laces to which Conrad refers.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2016, 11:20:02 AM »

I'm curious, and you probably don't know the reason, why didn't Pete realize the length was too short during the initial suit up?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 12:16:12 PM »

I'm curious, and you probably don't know the reason, why didn't Pete realize the length was too short during the initial suit up?

Reduced gravity gave him longer legs.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »

The initial suit up would have been in Lunar orbit, correct?

Reduced gravity gave him longer legs.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ajv

• Venus
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2016, 01:22:21 PM »
why didn't Pete realize the length was too short during the initial suit up?

Conrad explains it in the technical debrief and in discussion in the ALSJ.

Conrad (Technical Debrief): I made a technical error before I left when the suits were sent back to ILC and the boots were put on. We knew that we had to refit the suits, and I let myself get conned into refitting my suit in long underwear and not with the LCG  because the flight LCG was PIAed. ( PIA = Preinstallation Acceptance. ) That was a mistake. I wound up with the legs being too tight. I realized this prior to lift-off while staying in the suit for a long time. I had spent only about an hour or so before in it fitting it in my long underwear, but it became unbearable that night. It spoiled my rest period. I did not want to take the suit off so I stayed that way all night. I slept only about 4 hours, and it was mainly because of suit discomfort on my shoulders. The next morning, Al did an outstanding job on letting my legs out for me, which took him about an hour.

Bean - ALSJ: You think it was because the suit was adjusted wrong or because you grew in space? Or both?

Conrad - ALSJ: No. You don't remember what happened to my prime suit when they went to check it out prior to the flight. This was like three days before the flight. They did a suit check. And that suit, which had hardly been worn, had a leak in one of the boots. I don't remember which one, now. I think it was probably the left side. And I remember they told me 'your prime suit has a leak.' And they flew it by Lear Jet all the way up to ILC in Dover (Delaware), and the little old ladies put a new boot on the suit. And then they sent it back. Now, the normal way we fit the suit was to wear our LCG but, by the time they got the suit back that had already been packed in the spacecraft. And they wouldn't let me in the suit unless it was flight underwear (that is, either the flight LCG or flight longjohns). So I fitted again with my cotton (long underwear) for the Command Module. And I didn't guess right on the left boot. So it wasn't until we put on the LCGs in flight (that I realized) it was too short. And there's no way you can shorten your body. No matter what you do, the distance from your feet to your shoulders is the same. That's the way it was. So, there was a cable and we had laces (at the ankle) you could adjust (to lengthen or shorten the leg)... The laces went all the way around...

Bean - ALSJ: There were two sets, because everything was redundant. And they knotted the shit out of those things.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2016, 01:47:22 PM »
OK, a misjudgment due to the absent LCG; coupled with the drive to get the mission on the way.   
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2016, 03:28:46 PM »

Conrad (Technical Debrief):No matter what you do, the distance from your feet to your shoulders is the same.

Well he got that bit wrong.  http://www.space.com/19116-astronauts-taller-space-spines.html

I wonder if the effects of microgravity also played a part? These effects were possibly unknown during Apollo?

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2016, 03:37:58 PM »

Conrad (Technical Debrief):No matter what you do, the distance from your feet to your shoulders is the same.

Well he got that bit wrong.  http://www.space.com/19116-astronauts-taller-space-spines.html

I wonder if the effects of microgravity also played a part? These effects were possibly unknown during Apollo?
This effect is noted with long duration mission on the ISS.  I doubt that there would have been much difference in bone/spine lengthening during an Apollo mission.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2016, 04:37:32 PM »

This effect is noted with long duration mission on the ISS.  I doubt that there would have been much difference in bone/spine lengthening during an Apollo mission.

There has been some studies done using a head-down position in a tilted bed (HDT). Traction was also used to simulate the effects of microgravity. The report found that "Heights increased 2.1 ± 0.5 cm by Day 3 of HDT and remained at that level until the end of the HDT period."* So it looks like the majority of the increase in height occurred within the first few days exposure. The mechanism for this was a decrease in spinal curvature and the disc decompressing in the spine.

*Source:  Back pain during 6° head-down tilt approximates that during actual microgravity. Hutchinson, Karen J.; Watenpaugh, Donald E.; Murthy, Gita; Convertino, Victor A.; Hargens, A. R. Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine, Vol 66(3), Mar 1995, 256-259.

Offline ajv

• Venus
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2016, 10:41:32 PM »
Here's an interesting photo of Cernan during a final flight suit fit check at ILC showing a lot of hanging laces.

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2016, 01:32:09 PM »
I'm still rather astounded at the concept of "I use information from the NASA site that I printed out in 1969."

It sounds like miker probably is too young to remember 1969, because in those days no one "printed off" information from a website.
I wondered if it was a typo for "1996".

1969 was the early days of ARPANET, and from a brief bit of research it doesn't look like NASA were involved in any way at that time.  You didn't have "sites" then anyway.  As far as I can tell, NASA probably hooked into the network in the mid 70's.

I do have fond memories (well, maybe "fond" isn't the word) of acoustic couplers, 300 baud connections, BBS's, FTP etc.  It seemed amazing back then to be downloading file from half way round the world.  :D
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb