Author Topic: Dutch newspaper articles Space Race, Tivoli Observatory  (Read 1662 times)

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
Dutch newspaper articles Space Race, Tivoli Observatory
« on: August 23, 2020, 01:53:13 PM »
Over the years, the Tivoli Observatory has amassed a nice collection of space travel memorabilia.

Everything from hundreds of slides to tape recordings and 16mm films. I've been digitizing all of that for a while, and it's nice to see when something is used in an exhibition or article.

One of the special documents donated to the archive -by several people- is a large number of newspaper clippings / articles pasted by followers of the space race at the time.

-See middle shelf

Tens of maps and books with thousands of clippings of both texts and photos. The collection starts at the very beginning with Sputnik, and stretches out into the Space Shuttle era.

Different eras have been archived; From the first American satellite to the first living being in space, first human on the moon, to space probes that land other worlds and distant planets. Everything is very beautiful and great care has been taken to make these.

Alas, the books and clippings are decaying; the glue dries and the back just breaks up. High time to digitize this beautiful document, which was once put together with great interest and unquestionably pride, for the digital archive.

The observatory sponsored this work by purchasing a book scanner, which should arrive in the coming weeks. In this way the folders with high quality scans can be saved in OCR PDF and OCR WORD. This way they are easily accessible and read / usable. The PDF files are eventually also shared here.

Expect updates as soon as I get to work.

Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: Dutch newspaper articles Space Race, Tivoli Observatory
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 04:32:54 PM »
Best of luck - we're grateful that there are people like you around to help preserve history.