Author Topic: I don’t know if man went to the moon in the sixties  (Read 105930 times)

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
I don’t know if man went to the moon in the sixties
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2013, 06:44:49 AM »
Ok, lots of one-liners all over the site, building from somewhat reasonable positions to they didn't go. 

So, how're things in San Francisco?  Just looked at the METAR and TAF for KSFO.  Looks like a nice day for a bike ride, although the temperature and dew point are close.  Watch the traffic if it gets foggy.

Offline chrisbobson

• Venus
  • BANNED
Re: I don’t know if man went to the moon in the sixties
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »
What are your sources for these claims?

The LM was made of tin foil.  Shouldn't we lighten up on the "source" stuff when obvious?

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #197 on: January 09, 2013, 06:49:32 AM »
No, because what is 'obvious' to people is often wrong. The LM was not made of tin foil. It was neither tin nor foil.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline chrisbobson

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2013, 06:53:50 AM »
8.   The  Lem [sic] was made of Tin foil, Mylar and tape the abort procedure was to bail out in space.

You're only referring to the skin of the LM. Do you really think the entire craft was made out of foil? How much research have you done on the LM?

But even Kelly said it was easy to kick a boot through the foil of the LM side, so it's foil enough to make the thing fragile.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2013, 06:56:04 AM »
But even Kelly said it was easy to kick a boot through the foil of the LM side, so it's foil enough to make the thing fragile.

Having something that can be punctured by a deliberate effort is a world away from having something that won't stand up to its intended use.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2013, 06:57:05 AM »
8.   The  Lem [sic] was made of Tin foil, Mylar and tape the abort procedure was to bail out in space.

You're only referring to the skin of the LM. Do you really think the entire craft was made out of foil? How much research have you done on the LM?

It is the exterior heat and micro meteor shielding and nothing to do with the structure. I don't expect anyone was inclined to put a boot through it.

Offline chrisbobson

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2013, 06:57:58 AM »
I don't know if man went to the moon in the sixties or not, but the record of the Apollo missions seems to be completely false

Here are some of the reasons I believe this
1.   The Command Module being only 210 cubic feet would not fit (3) men all the food, water, air, spacesuits, boots, helmets, cameras film and equipment needed for up to 10-11 days in space. The usual reply is that these items were in the Lem or the service module, but that would be very unsafe (not to mention bringing back hundreds of pounds of moon rocks)
2.   Back in the Apollo days we (the public) were told that the Moon was an Extremely Hot, Dry, and geologically dead place with no atmosphere. Now according to the NASA Lunar Science Institute the moon is an extremely Cold, Wet geologically active place with an atmosphere that extends all the way to earth. Just the opposite of what we were told.
3.   The trajectory of the Apollo missions is nothing like spacecraft go to the moon today. Today spacecraft going to the moon make several increasingly large earth orbits not a crazy “8” trajectory.
4.   Regardless of popular belief computer and communication technology were not sufficient in the sixties (slide rules were  the norm in the sixties)
5.   Several of the Apollo mission especially AP17 supposedly went to the moon when the moon was nearly full. If the moon puts out enough light that I can easily see the settings on my telescope and camera in Florida, over 200 thousand miles away don't you think that the light would blind the astronauts if they were actually on the moon
6.   Several people note that the lighting wasn't right in the lunar pictures and that they did not bring any lights with them Why not? It would take at least 3 additional cameramen to take all the lunar footage not Ed Fendell from Houston with a remote control
7.   Since the spacesuits were supposedly cooled by water the astronaut's would have instantly frozen on Eva's and on the surface of the moon in the shade
8.   The  Lem was made of Tin foil, Mylar and tape the abort procedure was to bail out in space
9.   Any glass in the command module would melt upon reentry killing anyone inside
10.   There is no way the record of the Apollo missions is accurate.
Your post is full of inaccuracies. If you are truly interested in learning, please start by doing some reading here http://www.clavius.org/ . That site is owned, written, and edited by an actual aerospace engineer named Jay Windley, who posts here as JayUtah. There are other engineers who post here as well (I'm personally just an interested amateur). I recommend you read through Jay's site, then if you have any questions I'm sure people here will be more than happy to answer them.

The Apollo landings are historical fact, as hopefully you'll soon realize  :)

That's hardly fair having him read Clavius.  He should be reading the NASA primary baloney.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
I don’t know if man went to the moon in the sixties
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2013, 07:02:40 AM »

And I can put a screwdriver through the side of a Cessna 172, if I wanted to.  Doesn't mean that it won't take load stress when used as intended.

Offline VincentMcConnell

• Earth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2013, 05:07:31 AM »
The LM was made of tin foil.  Shouldn't we lighten up on the "source" stuff when obvious?

Um. No. The LM had an extremely thin skin and thermal shielding, but its actual hull was quite durable. There are a vast number of photographs showing the Lunar Module in construction that really give you an idea of how sturdy it was. The thermal protection of the LM was mostly mylar between outer layers of kapton. They really laid the stuff on in the key locations near propulsion systems and thrusters. That tired old hoax claim about the "tin foil" LM is just getting boring. Just look at a picture of the LM. And anyway -- can you prove the LM could not withstand the maneuvers and levels of radiation NASA says it did? Or will you just resort to saying something like, "Van Allen Belts = Dead"
"It looks better now, Al. What change did you make?"
"I just hit it on the top with my hammer."

-Mission Control and Alan Bean on Apollo 12 after the TV camera failed.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2013, 06:14:35 AM »
Vincent, I know you have been away a while but please re-acquaint yourself with what has gone on here in your absence before you start necroposting and addressing people who were banned several weeks ago.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.