Author Topic: Radiation damage  (Read 21058 times)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Radiation damage
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 04:35:26 AM »
I think the film should be essentially ruined. The sun gives off a wide ray of EM radiation - when the camera shutter opens, the film should be bombarded with this radiation - ruining the film.

Rubbish. Solar radiation is light, which is precisely what a film is designed to be sensitive to.

Photographic film is also sensitive to heat, but it takes a lot of heat over a short period of time, or a moderate amount of heat over a long period; this is why films have a "develop before" date, because storage for years at a moderate temperature such as 20°C will eventually fog (or heat-damage) the film emulsion. You can extend the life of film beyond the "develop by" date by keeping your them in a fridge
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 06:06:55 AM »
As well, I don't think they had enough fuel to get to the moon, land, lift off and get back.

The lunar landing strategy used by Apollo, called Lunar orbit rendezvous, was first worked out in 1916. The amount of fuel needed for the various velocity changes is governed by Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation.

Further, the TLI does not appear to be a valid way to get into lunar orbit.

The Hohmann transfer orbit was worked out long before the first launch into space. It is used to put satellites into higher or lower orbits, including geosynchronous orbits, and to send probes to other planets. Do you believe there are satellites in geosynchronous orbit around the Earth?

IIRC they used a One-Tangent Burn rather than a Hohmann transfer......due to the length of time it would take.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 06:17:09 AM »
I think I see the problem.  It was in the very first sentence typed:
I've been studying the Apollo hoax
Yep, there's your problem.  You hung out at conspiracy sites to do your 'research', and now you're "not convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that we went..".  Well, who'da thort that would happen...

Thing is, that first sentence also speaks loudly of your 'research' approach.  The fact that you were taken in by them speaks loudly about your expertise (or lack..).

I'm late to the party as usual (dang time differences), and all the salient points have already been addressed - Sarcasticus, when will you be addressing the responses?  You have received a number of quite comprehensive explanations - wouldn't it be polite to properly respond to them, point by point?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 06:29:59 AM »
For starters, the mathematical likelihood of the LM working on the moon with no malfunctions seems very low - let alone six times.

Please show the calculations that you used to come up with this statement.

I don't think they had enough fuel to get to the moon, land, lift off and get back.

Again, please show your calculations. And some idea of your qualifications or experience in the field of orbital mechanics and spacecraft.

You are absolutely correct. TLI doesn't get you into Lunar orbit. It puts you on a trajectory towards the Moon, and in the case of the (earlier) Apollo Lunar flights, it put the CSM stack on a free-return trajectory. Lunar Orbital Insertion is the manoeuvre required to put you in Lunar orbit. But of course, as you have done your research, you would know that, wouldn't you?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 08:01:56 AM »
I don't know the exact amount of specific radiation it takes to ruin film, but I know X-rays affect film.
I don't know the exact amount of radiation the Sun puts out, but I know it puts out a lot of X-rays. (See: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/science/know_l2/sun.html)

So you don't know any of the quantitative stuff needed for your conclusion. What have you based it on?

Many people do know the type, intensity and flux density of solar radiation across the spectrum, and the characteristics of the film used on Apollo. They also know how different types of radiation penetrate things like the glass lenses of the camera. The film is not simply exposed openly to all incoming radiation.

These people find nothing wrong with the idea that the camera could work on the Moon. Equally, those who don't know all the data point to the use of the same type of camera in Earth orbit, where it is just as much exposed to the Sun's EM radiation output as on the Moon.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »
As well, I don't think they had enough fuel to get to the moon, land, lift off and get back.

The lunar landing strategy used by Apollo, called Lunar orbit rendezvous, was first worked out in 1916. The amount of fuel needed for the various velocity changes is governed by Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation.

The Hohmann transfer orbit was worked out long before the first launch into space. It is used to put satellites into higher or lower orbits, including geosynchronous orbits, and to send probes to other planets. Do you believe there are satellites in geosynchronous orbit around the Earth?

IIRC they used a One-Tangent Burn rather than a Hohmann transfer......due to the length of time it would take.

That's correct.