Author Topic: Brilliant debunk video of hoax claims - HBs take note (if you can)  (Read 88072 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Brilliant debunk video of hoax claims - HBs take note (if you can)
« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2013, 05:02:17 AM »
I have one question though. I know they replaced the fuel cells with batteries because the cryogenic oxygen and hydrogen would have escaped during such long duration missions, but what did they do then for breathing air on the trip up and and, most importantly, back down?
The problem wasn't that the reactants would escape their tanks, but that they couldn't carry enough to operate the fuel cells at minimum power for the entire Skylab stay, and the Apollo SM fuel cells couldn't be shut down and restarted in flight.

So the logical thing to do was to operate the fuel cells until the hydrogen was depleted (which came in handy during the first visit before the one remaining workshop panel was deployed), then shut them down to preserve the remaining oxygen for breathing during the trip home. The CM also had a "surge tank" to store oxygen between SM jettison and splashdown.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2013, 06:32:34 AM »
The "black box" model of NASA is laughably comical to anyone who actually works in aerospace.  There you realize just how much NASA depends on the aerospace industry (and associated academic institutions) to spoon-feed them technology, innovation, and operational equipment and know-how.
It's a two-way street.  In my career working for a UK aerospace company, we always had access to NASA technical reports, including ones that their contractor companies prepared for them.  There were numerous occasions when I personally made use of this data.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »
Thank you, ka9q, that clarifies things considerably. :)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.