Author Topic: NASA's 30 Billion Dollar Scam  (Read 124730 times)

Offline Tedward

• Mars
Re: NASA's 30 Billion Dollar Scam
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »
"board tape"

Used the usual stuff for decorating the wall then it tore off the ceiling paint. Oh well, then found out there was a decorators version that is less tacky and no crinkly edges for the paint to get under. Oops, go back to check my lines and not only has the other tape lifted the ceiling paint, the edge is crinkly.

Use the latter on model making holding the parts together. Nothing left on the plastic after.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
And even further off the subject, when you don't have anything but tape and you are securing a roll of cable, start the winding inside-out, then reverse it after one full turn.  That way you get a band of tape securing the cable but none of the adhesive is in contact.
That just get's the nomination for awesome, I am so going to actually do that.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
And even further off the subject, when you don't have anything but tape and you are securing a roll of cable, start the winding inside-out, then reverse it after one full turn.  That way you get a band of tape securing the cable but none of the adhesive is in contact.
That just get's the nomination for awesome, I am so going to actually do that.

It is perhaps the single most directly useful thing anyone has ever said on the many generations of this board.  8) I second the nomination for awesome. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50:37 PM »
I learned that one from a Sgt. when I was stationed in Germany many years ago. It's also a good mickey mouse solution for neatly tying cable bundles together when you're out of zip ties (loose cables and grunts don't mix well! ;) ).
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »
Speaking of cables, I learned a long time ago how to wind them in a figure-8 fashion to keep them from snarling when you unwind them. You don't have to twist the cable to keep it from curling, and you can just toss the wound cable on the floor and pull one end out without it getting tangled.

I actually learned it first as a way to wind paper tape from a teletype machine, but I don't handle that stuff much anymore...

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2013, 03:39:51 AM »
To Eternidad, if you should return..  Could you do me (us) a HUGE favour?

I went to your website, and within a very short time began to lose the will to live...  Now, it's your website, so you can please yourself, I guess, but HERE... would you PLEASE just post your ABSOLUTE, BEST, MOST CONVINCING TOPIC.

Just ONE.  The one you think is most worthy..  Then, we can concentrate on that, and do a step by step analysis on it before moving on to anything else.  Gee, maybe it's just me, but I find plagiarism, lack of citing, and very brief postings that lack any sign of a true analysis rather less than convincing...

Surely it would be in your best interest (and the interest of truth) to concentrate on one topic at a time in FULL DETAIL.  Then, your 'proof' (once it has withstood proper analysis) and your expertise will both be immediately obvious to all.

If you would rather not do that, instead preferring to run the usual Gish Gallop of Apollo deniers, then I'm afraid the conclusion will be quite clear..

BTW, I note with amusement your first post said "I'm not going away" and then .. you went away.

To Glom..  there are commercial rubber glues that might work, and I've used a neoprene repair glue to repair my wetsuit - that glue is awesome and is now outlasting the wetsuit - try a dive/scuba shop..  Trouble is you might need to experiment to find out what type of rubber..

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
I actually learned it first as a way to wind paper tape from a teletype machine, but I don't handle that stuff much anymore...
Yuck. I'm glad the only place I had to deal with TT paper tape was during commo school training. I can't imagine working with that stuff in the field, in the back of a darkish M577, like the RATT rig operators sometimes had to.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #247 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
Faceman won the December Stundie award! Congratulations!

The official announcement won't be out for another week but you can see the vote count here: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=250995

Once again, congratulations.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #248 on: February 01, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
Oh, do not read all the nominations in one go.  I feel a bit dizzy.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #249 on: February 01, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »
While the Wright Brothers quote was indeed awesome, it is not so much of a logic bender as the one where the poster said that, in order to cut time on travelling to a star or planet, you should just launch your vessel closer to it.

I can see someone trying that in the real world.

"Oh dear, we need to get to the airport in an hour, but it's a two hour drive. We'll never get there in time."

"No problem, just start your trip at the turnoff from the highway. That'll only be a 10 minute drive to the terminal!"

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »
To be absolutely fair, that's basically what we do for probes to other planets.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »
Faceman won the December Stundie award! Congratulations!

The official announcement won't be out for another week but you can see the vote count here: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=250995

Once again, congratulations.
Yes, congrats and thanks to Faceman! Your marvelous seagull one-and-done post was my first Stundie nomination finalist. I knew you were a contender!