Author Topic: LRO photos show ascent stage still on the ground?  (Read 121945 times)

Offline inconceivable

• Venus
LRO photos show ascent stage still on the ground?
« on: August 23, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »
I have been looking at the photo of the Apollo 11 landing site from the LRO.  Did anyone notice the shadow of the LEM looks like the shadow of the LEM with the ascent stage still attached.  How can that be?  Also, it looks like you can see the docking tunnel, the s- band steerable antenna, maybe even the RCS thruster assembly or VHF antenna. 

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Re: LRO photos show ascent stage still on the ground?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
I have no great hopes of you actually responding to this, based on previous experience, but would you care to actually specify which image you are talking about and point out the things you think you are seeing in it? That would, after all, make actual discussion a heck of a lot simpler....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »
So NASA was smart enough to get equipment there to fake the mission, but so stupid as to leave evidence of that fakery?

Pffft! Just silly.

And as already noted: pointless for discussion without a decent rerefence to the actual picture in question.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »
LRO is good but not that good. Methinks you be making stuff up.

Offline inconceivable

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
As I don't want to infringe on anyones copyrights,  the photos can be found at  www.space.com/12796-photos-apollo-moon-landing-sites-lro.html  The LEM shadow looks rounded with a longer protrusion resembling an antenna, possibly. Looks like the full LEM.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:17:36 PM by inconceivable »

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »
Broken link.  Try again.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »
LRO photos are not copyrighted.

The protrusions are the RCS plume deflectors. This was discussed on the old board and someone used a computer model of the LM to simulate the shadows: http://apollohoax.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=gotopost&board=apollo&thread=2458&post=71262

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
inconceivable, are you really arguing that NASA would have, when faking the photos, neglected to consider that only the lower portion was supposed to remain on the surface?

If so, can you explain how a group of such incompetents could pull off a hoax of this nature for over 40 years?

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 11:20:44 PM »
I have been looking at the photo of the Apollo 11 landing site from the LRO.  Did anyone notice the shadow of the LEM looks like the shadow of the LEM with the ascent stage still attached.  How can that be?  Also, it looks like you can see the docking tunnel, the s- band steerable antenna, maybe even the RCS thruster assembly or VHF antenna. 

Ascent stage still there? No; you're wrong.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 11:34:40 PM »
LEM?

Where's my Bingo card?

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »
Futurama had a nice take on this: http://theinfosphere.org/Lunar_landing_site

http://theinfosphere.org/File:Luna_lander_sticker.png

(I laughed and laughed when I saw the note the first time I saw that episode, because up to then I'd been fuming "that shouldn't be there!"...)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:10:15 AM by pzkpfw »

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 02:29:41 AM »
Yes, Futurama has a way of playing "gotcha", doesn't it?

But they still have a problem with the notion of "returning" the lander to the site. The Apollo 11 ascent stage was abandoned in lunar orbit, and perturbations would most definitely have caused it to hit the surface within a few years or less. So there was no ascent stage to return; the Historical Sticklers would have had to build a replica, obtain one of the unlaunched LMs, or retrieved Apollo 10's ascent stage from solar orbit.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »
They did a similar mistake on Transformers 3 except unlike Futurama, Michael Bay doesn't care about anything so just left it.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 04:42:25 AM »
Or maybe they never left due to failure at lift off and the ones we saw come back are doubles that were in orbit just in case and  paid to make it look like it was a success?

Oh go on, has that one been thought of yet?

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »
Inconceivable, I find it inconceivable that you don't realise that even if the images were copyright, FAIR USE would apply.

Second, now that you have been given that information, if you were serious you would show us the image in question with arrows pointing at "the docking tunnel, the s- band steerable antenna, maybe even the RCS thruster assembly or VHF antenna".

Then you can show us an overhead image of the LM (even a drawing would be fine) that shows how those things match your diagram.

I suggest it would do you good if you discover that the actual LM descent stage would look exactly like it is depicted in the LRO images that you return and elaborate.  Consider it a challenge to do that rather than vanish..

Also, can you explain for me how you came upon this 'idea'?  Just came to you, did it?