Author Topic: A Problem We're Going to Have to Overcome  (Read 12779 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
A Problem We're Going to Have to Overcome
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
The thing is, the interesting conversations are still at the old site.  Ideally, anyone wanting to start a new one will start one here, but I think we're going to have to force ourselves to say, "Let's use this thread as an archive and continue the conversation in the new location."  I think it's a little intimidating to see the completely empty sections and be the first person to post in them; I think this will be an even bigger problem in the CT sections.  But come on, people!  Let's really get moving!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
Re: A Problem We're Going to Have to Overcome
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:12:31 PM »
I understand it's difficult to make the choice to end discussion of an active thread on the old forum and move it here, but pretty soon I'm going to lock the threads on the old forum, so people won't have a choice. I think discussion will pick up once everyone knows the location of the new forum and after I've locked the old one. And if for some reason this forum just doesn't catch on I can always reopen the Proboards forum, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

I think the best thing to do will be to post a message at the end of active threads on the old forum pointing to where discussion can continue here. The first post in the new thread can either be a copy of the first post of the original thread thread, or the last post. Or maybe both.

I'm also thinking about making copies of the first post of some key threads like Count Zero's "Smoking Gun". Maybe the original author of those threads would like to do that so their name is attached to the post instead of mine.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 07:14:34 PM »
I somehow doubt any of the threads I started over there are important enough to do that!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guruâ„¢
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, you can lock the old forum immediately.  I don't think you'll ever get everyone to move the conversations over to this form unless you force the issue.  The old forum is fairly quite right now, so I say do it now before some big new thread gets started.  In the short term people can always copy and paste from the old forum if they want to quote somebody or reproduce content.  I think we'll all adjust pretty quickly.

BTW, I miss the spell check.  It that an option here?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:45:09 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, you can lock the old forum immediately.

I'll probably announce the location of the new forum tonight when I'm home from work and then lock the old forum on the weekend. I want to give people the chance to copy posts from there to here, and it's easier to do that if you can open the post editor.

Yep, I just enabled it. Give it a try.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guruâ„¢
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »

Yep, I just enabled it. Give it a try.

It works, thanks.

Offline RedneckR0nin

• Venus
  • RnR
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:22:07 AM »
Only problem I have is repeating the same things for about the thousandth time. One of these days I swear I am going to make good and just Microsoft Word the top ten rebuttals on this topic. Other than that I love the new look and bring on the disbelievers I guess....all the gang from the old site will be here so that is the important part anyway!
We landed..you too can learn this if you research

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »
If you're going to do that, you might as well just link to a website.  It's not really engaging people.  And if they could be convinced by just reading a website, they wouldn't be arguing with us.