Author Topic: When Afghanistan beats Scotland...  (Read 20282 times)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
Re: When Afghanistan beats Scotland...
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:56 PM »
<troll mode on>

Cricket and baseball?

You want to try a real mans game like hurling

[<troll mode off>
  ;)    ;D ;D
<troll> Oh yeah? I have two words for ya'. Ice. Hockey. Sharpened metal skates. Hard rubber disks flying around at 100 mph.

Okay, so maybe that's actually 11 words, a number, and an abbreviation, close enough  :P ;D </troll>
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 05:09:20 AM »
For attention spans less than 8 hours you can try American Football.

For starters, the name "football" is something of a misnomer, because kicking the ball is not part of the general flow of the game and it played primarily with the hands not the feet. A full game lasts about 3¼ hours, although the game clock only runs for an 60 minutes, and on average the ball is only in play for about 10 minutes!

Yeah, I watch it occasionally.

It's particularly amusing to watch it when a team attempts multiple lateral passes - the crowd and the commentators go bonkers. Yeah, they do that all the time in rugby league and rugby union. It's called catching a ball - something you don't actually need a baseball mitt for.

Back in the early 1990s the Australian ABC started a late night show of highlights from the previous weekend's games, with the show hosted by American ex-pat entertainer Don Lane. Lane did a good job of explaining the game and its rules and tactics without talking down to the audience, and (in those pre-Internet days) answering letters from viewers.

That, when they were perennial cellar-dwellers and seemed to have the ability to lose a game from any position, was when I started supporting the NE Patriots.

However, I don't let that stop me from enjoying it, because I understand what American Football really is; not a ball game between two teams. but a game of chess between two coaches.

Personally I prefer it as a card game: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/71889/third-and-long-football-card-game
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »
the name "football" is something of a misnomer, because kicking the ball is not part of the general flow of the game and it played primarily with the hands not the feet.

Theoretically, it is possible to have an entire game with the ball only touching a foot twice.

Technically, the same is true of Rugby Union, but it might be a little more difficult to achieve...
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 01:55:31 PM »
Technically, the same is true of Rugby Union, but it might be a little more difficult to achieve...

It might make for a great game if both sides agreed never to kick the ball apart from restarts and conversions, they could take tap penalties instead of kicking. Maybe it could be agreed to in a Barbarians game.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luther

• Venus
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
I also enjoy hand-egg American football, even if it has been described as "combining the worst two aspects of American life: bouts of mindless violence, interspersed by committee meetings".

Now that is funny.  I'm going to have to use that on the American fellow at work.  Probably during one of his committee meetings.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 05:26:47 AM »
I also enjoy hand-egg American football, even if it has been described as "combining the worst two aspects of American life: bouts of mindless violence, interspersed by committee meetings".

Now that is funny.  I'm going to have to use that on the American fellow at work.  Probably during one of his committee meetings.

Just make sure your comment doesn't lead to the other of the "worst two aspects"...
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Luther

• Venus
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »

Just make sure your comment doesn't lead to the other of the "worst two aspects"...

He's on the small side, but he is pretty athletic.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »
It would appear that Afghanistan are about to be tonked by New Zealand.

This is how cricket looks to most people from non-cricket playing countries.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:43:51 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 08:27:23 PM »
This from the BBC live text feed (Afg v NZ):

It seems no matter what country you support, England are the number one team to beat. As Afghanistan moved past 123 - the score England were bowled out for by New Zealand in Wellington just over a couple of weeks ago - one Afghani fan turns to his friend and remarks 'at least we're better than England, I'm happy with that.'

I look forward to Eng v Afg even more now.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 08:52:01 PM »
Shame, Afghanistan 186 a/o off 47.4 overs. I was hoping that they'd bat out their 50 overs for 200+. Not bad when they were 59/6 off 19.5 overs.

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 10:41:57 AM »
It would appear that Afghanistan are about to be tonked by New Zealand.

This is how cricket looks to most people from non-cricket playing countries.

For those to whom it doesn't look like this:

"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »
For those to whom it doesn't look like this:

That's funny. 139 not out, but dreadfully hurt.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »
Oh whoopsie!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-09/england-dumped-from-world-cup-as-bangladesh-wins-by-xx-runs/6292356

England has crashed out of the World Cup after falling to a 15-run loss against Bangladesh in a thrilling match at Adelaide Oval.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »
Oh whoopsie!

Indeed, and as an English supporter I can't say that I am too bothered. They were not playing well enough to progress beyond the QFs. There is no way on Earth they could get past SA and India before facing Australia or NZ in the final (I think that is how the draw works).

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 05:33:14 PM »
Oh whoopsie!

I've just looked at the fixture list and we've got Afghanistan next.  :-\