Author Topic: Astrowives  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Astrowives
« on: July 27, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/saturdayextra/forgotten-story-of-the-astrowives/4845648

The link is to an interesting article about the book "The Astronaut Wives Club" by Lily Koppel.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Re: Astrowives
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »
I've got the book but haven't gotten around to reading it as yet. There's The X-15 Rocket Plane and Forever Young, as well. I need more time to read....

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 09:53:58 PM »
I finished it; very good read and is recommended. It has a few minor inaccuracies (e.g. Gus hanging a lemon on the spacecraft, not the simulator) but is otherwise well written and interesting. I am still quite amazed how many of the astronauts were having extra-marital affairs and how this was unofficially sanctioned by the astronaut office.

Something I found curious was in the acknowledgements: many people being thanked for their help including Betty Grissom and Mark Grissom.... but no Scott. He chose not to participate?

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »
I've seen that error before in Lost Moon. It is especially interesting as Jim Lovell was one of the authors. *puts on conspiracy theorist hat* Ermagerd! It must be a code! After all, lemon is an anagram for No LEM, proof that the moon landings were faked! :o

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »
I've seen that error before in Lost Moon. It is especially interesting as Jim Lovell was one of the authors. *puts on conspiracy theorist hat* Ermagerd! It must be a code! After all, lemon is an anagram for No LEM, proof that the moon landings were faked! :o
*round of applause for Raven's CT performance* ;D

Of course Raven, the damned shame is the kind of "logic" you used would be considered iron clad proof of a hoax by a true HB.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »
*round of applause for Raven's CT performance* ;D

Of course Raven, the damned shame is the kind of "logic" you used would be considered iron clad proof of a hoax by a true HB.
I know. :-[ I am far, far too good at that. :P