Author Topic: TOO MUCH EDUCATION  (Read 88473 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: TOO MUCH EDUCATION
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »
The more you know the less qualified you are to make a judgement on what you know.

Hmm. Is this a new one?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:32:46 PM by Glom »

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 04:31:20 PM »
DAKDAK, I would consider myself a Christian. I was raised in a Christian home and I believe in what I feel to be the core tenants of Christianity, based on the parable of the Good Samaritan.
While I am not the fondest of its ornate pomp and circumstance, I would consider a genuine Catholic, one who believes rather than simply carrying a cultural legacy, to be a Christian.
The same can be said of any denomination.
But that isn't what I wish to discuss.
What I would like to say is that I believe God gave us a most exquisite gift, curiosity. 
See, I think God wants us to explore Creation, wants us to work to understand this great work we call the Universe.
Science is one way of understanding the Universe, especially the physical portion.
Often, such investigations lead to results that don't fit our intuitive understanding of the world, our 'common sense'.
The world of the very small  and the world of the very fast can be very different from our normal experiences.
But all that means to me is that God's work is complex, that it has depth, that there is always more to discover, like an artist hiding details in a painting, waiting for a curious eye to spot them.
I find that sublime.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »

5.   YOU HAVE NEVER MEASURED THE SPEED OF LIGHT OR RETESTED ANY OF EINSTEINS “LAWS OF PHYSIC’S”OR NEWTONS “LAWS OF GRAVITY”

First of all, the speed of light is now a DEFINED value: 299,792,458 meters/sec. Any error in measuring either the second or the speed of light will result in a change to the length of the meter. This change was made in the early 1980s; that's how accurately we can now measure the speed of light.

I have personally measured the speed of light many times, and in several different ways.

I'm a radio ham. The size of a radio antenna depends directly on two things: the operating frequency and the speed of light. When I operate an antenna on a certain frequency, I am proving that the speed of light is what it's supposed to be.

Whenever I use GPS, I am also relying on the speed of light being 299,792,458 meters/sec. It wouldn't work otherwise.

I have sent radio signals through communications satellites and measured the round trip delay. Knowing the distance, which I calculated myself, I can once again verify the speed of light.

Just because YOU don't know any of this stuff doesn't mean no one else does. That's a very common belief among Apollo deniers, and it's really quite sad that you remain so willfully ignorant.

Offline DataCable

• Earth
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »
5.   YOU HAVE NEVER MEASURED THE SPEED OF LIGHT OR RETESTED ANY OF EINSTEINS “LAWS OF PHYSIC’S”OR NEWTONS “LAWS OF GRAVITY”
Einstein's "laws of physics" or Newton's "laws of gravity."  I'm fairly certain they taught the difference between possessives and plurals long before the 9th grade.

Let's face it you only know or think you know what you were taught in college, prep school, books you have read or Internet sites you have looked at and believed.
I'll come back to this in a moment.

...the whole Apollo Story was completely made up to rob the American public of tax dollars...
Which were given right back to the American Public.  Just who do you think designed and built all that hardware you claim wouldn't work?  That's a pretty poor job of robbery.

I do believe God created the Heavens and the Earth and the MOON!
So, you actually observed this?  Or were you taught this in some sort of school, or by a book you read and believed?
Bearer of the highly coveted "I Found Venus In 9 Apollo Photos" sweatsocks.

"you data is still open for interpretation, after all a NASA employee might of wipe a booger or dropped a hair on it" - showtime

DataCable2015 A+

Offline peter eldergill

• Venus
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 08:22:33 PM »
This is one of the biggest crashes and burns I've seen in a while (only thing missing is profanity!). I saw the post really early on but didn't bother responding.

I doubt we'll hear from DakDak again and I don't think there's much else to say in this thread that hasn't already been said

Pete

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »
Come to Asia, life is better here!
Do you have cookies?

Not only do we have cookies, we even have multi-region DVD players!
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »
Just who do you think designed and built all that hardware you claim wouldn't work?  That's a pretty poor job of robbery.
Expenditures for Apollo are a matter of public record, and almost all the funds went to publicly-held companies.  We can affirm that Apollo expenditures never constituted more than a single-digit percentage of the overall U.S. federal budget during its development and operation.

Contrast this with public education, which routinely spends an order of magnitude more per year.  This is exactly the same education that DAKDAK dismisses as mere indoctrination, and from which he resigned in disgust as a tender-aged adolescent.  Where may we find his argument to de-fund all public education as wasteful and abhorrent?  Why the focus on Apollo?

Or were you taught this in some sort of school, or by a book you read and believed?

There you go.  The authors of my textbooks describe the research upon which they base their findings, and those in turn describe the methods employed to test the validity of the research.  And subsequently the claims in my textbooks have been vindicated by my reliance upon them in a professional setting, where results count.  Thermodynamics, for example, works.  It's not just the product of some athetistic plot concocted to rob the faithful of their place in heaven.

On the other hand I'm reasonably sure that the authors of the Bible conducted no experiments to test the propositions contained therein, nor have the generations of theologists thereafter employed any empirical or other validation to their claims.  In fact, a major tenet of those theses is the essential, fundamental unknowability of the true nature of the subject matter.  The Fundamentalist's deity is by definition unable to be comprehended by us mere mortals.  Hence I see no reason to consider it so much more common-sensical than that which I can observe and test myself.  Explicitly the opposite, in fact.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 09:01:01 PM »
Expenditures for Apollo are a matter of public record, and almost all the funds went to publicly-held companies.  We can affirm that Apollo expenditures never constituted more than a single-digit percentage of the overall U.S. federal budget during its development and operation.

Peaked around 4% of the budget during Apollo.

Contrast this with public education, which routinely spends an order of magnitude more per year.

This expenditure is substantially more than the NASA budget, even if you only count the federal portion!  And most education spending in your country comes from state/local governments.  Estimates for total education spending are about $1.15 trillion a year, compared to $17 billion for NASA, a difference of > 60 times.

This is exactly the same education that DAKDAK dismisses as mere indoctrination, and from which he resigned in disgust as a tender-aged adolescent.  Where may we find his argument to de-fund all public education as wasteful and abhorrent?  Why the focus on Apollo?

Especially since Apollo has been over some decades, so the expenditures are zero :)  (Or close to zero - they might still have an historian or librarian somewhere.)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
Has any one on this seemingly highly educated site ever thought that just maybe you have been educated so well that you might have forgotten about Common Sense.

Whenever someone claims to know something because "it's common sense" it almost always turns out that person is horribly wrong.

I am truly not trying to offend anybody

I guess it just comes naturally to you then because you do it so well without even trying.

1.   YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THE MOON!

I've never been to Australia either, but I don't automatically assume anyone who claims to have been there is lying. Why do you assume NASA is lying?

2.   YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT THE SURFACE OF THE MOON LOOKS LIKE.

I've seen it through a telescope. I've also seen photographs of the lunar surface from multiple independent sources, some of whom would love to embarrass the others by exposing them as liars. The United States and Russia were hostile towards each other for decades, and yet they agree with each other about all aspects of the moon and the authenticity of Apollo. So why should I doubt them?

3.   YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT THE TEMPATURE OF THE MOON IS,OR IF THE MOON REFLECTS OR EMMITS LIGHT

As others have mentioned, you can estimate the surface temperature of the moon based on how rocks on Earth absorb and radiate heat. It's not magic.

And the whole idea that the moon emits light is just stupid. Incredibly stupid.

4.   YOU HAVE NEVER MEASURED THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE EARTH AND THE MOON.
5.   YOU HAVE NEVER MEASURED THE SPEED OF LIGHT OR RETESTED ANY OF EINSTEINS “LAWS OF PHYSIC’S”OR NEWTONS “LAWS OF GRAVITY”

I've never done it personally, no. But why should that be necessary? Why do you assume the people who have are lying? Because they're contradicting your beliefs?

6.   YOU DON’T KNOW HOW MUCH YOU WOULD WEIGH ON THE MOON
7.   YOU HAVE NEVER FIGURED OUT THE PROPER TRAJECTORY FOR A MANNED MISSION TO THE MOON.
8.   YOU DON’T KNOW FOR SURE IF THE COMMAND MODULE WAS BIG ENOUGH OR IF THE ROCKETS, LIFE SUPPORT COMPUTER   SYSYTEM COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY SPACESUITS AND OTHER TOOLS NEEDED FOR A MANNED MISSION TO THE MOON WAS SUFFICIENT IN THE 1960’S ANY MORE THAN I DO!!
Let's face it you only know or think you know what you were taught in college, prep school, books you have read or Internet sites you have looked at and believed.

Blah, blah, blah. We get it. We've heard it before. You think we shouldn't believe Apollo landed on the moon because we didn't do it ourselves. We reject that because it is faulty logic. If we only believed what we witnessed ourselves then I would be forced to doubt the existence of Australia. I would have to believe that whales are fairy tale creates because I have never seen one with my own eyes. But unlike you, I don't assume people are lying to me just because I didn't share their experiences personally.

What NASA has told us (aided by the use of film and photographs) about Apollo just makes sense. They have explained in great detail what they did and how they did it. No one on the hoax theory side has ever come close to providing an alternative story that makes as much sense.

I on the other hand dropped out of school in the 9Th grade and don't believe much of anything that  they teach in public school about space,books I have read about space or internet sites I have looked at about space.

I have never met someone as proud of being ignorant as you are. Education is not something to be ashamed of. It's enlightening. It's freeing. You just don't like it because you might learn something that contradicts what you already believe.

I am simply going by observations I have made with my own eyes or through a telescope on my roof and Common Sense.

If you believe that the moon emits light then I doubt you have really looked at it through a telescope. And thankfully that belief isn't common.

Go take a really good look at the moon. Do you see those shadows cast by mountains and craters? How does something that emits light have shadows on it's surface? Have you ever seen shadows on the surface of a lit lightbulb?

Common Sense tells me that the whole Apollo Story was completely made up to rob the American public of tax dollars and give us (the general public) a false sense of reality) sold to us by fancy TV lies and then reinforced by experts in the subject

First of all, stop using the words "common sense" because you completely lack it. You've lost the right to claim to have common sense at this point. Your ideas are based on ignorance, and when ignorant people try to explain something that they don't understand we get things like gremlins, ghosts, UFOs, and magic. Science tries to understand the universe. Religion, on the other hand, just says "God did it. Stop asking questions!"

Secondly, politicians don't need to invent a hoax about going to the moon in order to steal our tax dollars.

and I hope and pray that I can convince just one other person on this earth that I am right!
You probably noticed that I said PRAY. That's right I don't believe for one second in EVOLUTION I do believe God created the Heavens and the Earth and the MOON!

"Hooray for ignorance! Woohoo!"

I hope someday that you come to realize that knowledge isn't a bad thing. I'm sure your God, if he or she exists, would prefer to see you reach your full potential rather than waste it.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 10:16:40 PM »
DAKDAK, do you actually believe any of this stuff you're posting, or are you just trolling?  Your posts are so over-the-top and full of spectacular wrongness that I suspect you're just pulling our legs now.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 10:52:36 PM »
To make some allowances for DAKDAK, if he dropped out in 9th grade (and probably wasn't too interested before that), he is quite likely unaware of just how we have measured things like gravity or the distance between the Earth and the Moon. The fact that people were able to judge celestial distances quite early on, using things like parallax, was probably not something he was taught. If you don't know the history of how things were discovered or measured, it is quite easy to believe that it is a completely arbitrary system of beliefs, and that one is entitled to pick and choose views of nature in a cafeteria-style world view.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 11:36:54 PM »
I've never been to Australia either, but I don't automatically assume anyone who claims to have been there is lying.

Good, because I've been to Australia.  It's real.  Not like Canada.

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 11:45:15 PM »
I've never been to Australia either, but I don't automatically assume anyone who claims to have been there is lying.

Good, because I've been to Australia.  It's real.  Not like Canada.

As a Canadian, I object. Ontario is real. And Quebec and the Maritime provinces. I've never been to Western Canada though. That region is totally made up.
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 11:56:28 PM »
Really, vast amounts of the world are made up so far as my personal experience can prove.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: TOO MUCH EDUCATION
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 02:07:04 AM »
This is one of the biggest crashes and burns I've seen in a while (only thing missing is profanity!). I saw the post really early on but didn't bother responding.

I doubt we'll hear from DakDak again and I don't think there's much else to say in this thread that hasn't already been said

Pete

It was certainly spectacular. I was almost speechless. What do you say to that?

To quote another spawn of Satan, "are you sure its not time for another colourful metaphor?"