Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 616532 times)

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
Re: Radiation
« Reply #3030 on: April 28, 2018, 03:17:52 AM »
Yeah, I asked him why they didn't just fake it to something believable.  The answer was something something magic trick, something something Guantanamo.
Yeah, I was wondering what direction he was going there.  Definitely moving from smartcooky's Dunning-Kruger, through cognitive dissonance and into tinfoil hat territory   ::)

I believe he's mentioned, either here or on CQ, that he'll keep "exposing the truth" until the Men in Black knock on his door  ;D
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #3031 on: April 28, 2018, 03:57:00 AM »
Yeah, I asked him why they didn't just fake it to something believable.  The answer was something something magic trick, something something Guantanamo.
I am sure it made sense somewhere in his head. Besides, apparently you are just a woman and ergo don't count in the timverseTM

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #3032 on: April 28, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »
I wonder where he went now.

See, that's something that really annoys me about that particular species. They learn.

No, they don't learn their ideas or wrong, or that they lack a grasp of the subjects. They learn some of the obvious mistakes and they learn a few more buzzwords and just enough about concepts entirely above their heads to successfully fake it for an opening post.

It's like the final evolution of the dance other conspiracy believers do; argument to counter argument to counter-counter argument, except Tim's evolution skips the difficult and onerous step of formulating a new argument. He just takes his opponents work to give his original grossly flawed argument a more glittery look.

So Tim can be presumed to have taken his game to another unwitting group. A group where he can flash in fresh with graphs of AP8 minimum and TL1 plots and thus wow over as much of the peanut gallery as he can in his first posts.

And then proceed to drag whatever new conversation he's in out over endless pages until it is finally obvious to all he doesn't know anything and has no intention of ever learning anything.

What a colossal farting waste of time.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #3033 on: April 28, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »
They learn some of the obvious mistakes and they learn a few more buzzwords and just enough about concepts entirely above their heads to successfully fake it for an opening post.

I agree, the flounces are all part of Tim reading through the threads, going away, finding out some more information and then coming back with the 'how about this then, this fits?' It is a common tactic, and he used to maximum advantage. The other tactic he tried was simply ignoring posters.

The problem with this for Tim, there is always someone here at the board who can dissect his inconsistencies, such as quoting averages taken from the Apollo mission to give ranges for GCR dose, and by ignoring posters he eventually trips himself up for someone else to pounce on his misunderstandings.

What a colossal farting waste of time.

In the main for those that have required knowledge, yes. Not entirely for me, I've learned some new concepts and ideas as I went away and read new, materiel and read posts from others. It has clarified my understanding of the TLI orbit. I've thought about better ways of challenging the poster and the argument that way I question. There are some old hands here, and it is great to learn.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #3034 on: April 28, 2018, 11:52:37 AM »
One question that came up last night at CQ was the 7 degree increase in inclination at TLI. A poster argued that we really needed an expert in orbital mechanics as the increase in speed was only 50%, so it would not give a 7 deg increase in the TLI orbital plane. The poster suggested closer to 3.5 deg.

I would be inclined (pun intended) to agree with this estimate. Any thoughts?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3035 on: April 28, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »
One question that came up last night at CQ was the 7 degree increase in inclination at TLI. A poster argued that we really needed an expert in orbital mechanics as the increase in speed was only 50%, so it would not give a 7 deg increase in the TLI orbital plane. The poster suggested closer to 3.5 deg.

I would be inclined (pun intended) to agree with this estimate. Any thoughts?

The 7 degree number is what Bob and I worked with in my simulator, as it was first I wanted to make sure everything worked before pressing on.  It doesn't sound like much but over 6-7 minute burn those degrees begin to add up.
I did like the way you handed him his hat when discussing:
What is the bremsstrahlung mechanism?
 What is the bremsstrahlung spectrum produced by electrons in aluminum?
 What contribution did other CM materials make to absorption of bremsstrahlung?

He indeed knows buzz words, but not in what relation they have to the subject matter.  I learned a bit from your discussion.  And  I assume that Bob is correct, seems reasonable that Aluminum at 8 g/cm^2  would attenuate electrons < 7 MeV.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #3036 on: April 28, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »
I am sure it made sense somewhere in his head. Besides, apparently you are just a woman and ergo don't count in the timverseTM

As I've said repeatedly, I really don't think that was the issue.  When it comes to things like orbits and radiation and so forth, he can bluster and bloviate, but when it comes to "but what if you're wrong," there's not much impressive that he can say.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #3037 on: April 28, 2018, 02:08:20 PM »
He never gives in, he's now hijacking another CQ thread with the same discussion.

Apollo Orion graphics that might be useful.

These are some quite nice graphics from Grant though.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3038 on: April 28, 2018, 02:15:37 PM »
Yes they are, but tim still doesn't get it nor the 3-D view insisting the trajectory is over the north pole!,  Bah look at the first image.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #3039 on: April 28, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »
Yes they are, but tim still doesn't get it nor the 3-D view insisting the trajectory is over the north pole!,  Bah look at the first image.

He cannot compile the three images and work out the trajectory. The 3rd image does indeed look as though it does go over the north pole, but it's just the perspective of the 2D rendering. The perspective from the first two images tells you that Apollo did not go over the north pole.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3040 on: April 28, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »
And he still has spatial recognition issues with 3-D.
Eugene Cernan

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #3041 on: April 28, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »
And he's still trying to moderate his own thread. We'll see how long that lasts.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #3042 on: April 28, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »
And he's still trying to moderate his own thread. We'll see how long that lasts.

I endorse people having a platform to speak freely, and I understand he's not promulgating hateful words, I just find his presence annoying now. He's had his chance, and just needs to ride off into the sunset. I'm sure someone can say conjure a spitting-coffee-over-the-monitor comment regarding his spatial understanding of sunsets.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3043 on: April 28, 2018, 04:31:42 PM »
It just reminded me of this

especially the closing line...

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #3044 on: April 28, 2018, 05:58:33 PM »
Weird new gambit he's got going on now.

Wonder where Ben is? He might be able to help with this.