Author Topic: Is the Scientific Process, Standards of Proof ignored by NASA Supporters?  (Read 224784 times)

Offline frenat

• Mars
Re: Is the Scientific Process, Standards of Proof ignored by NASA Supporters?
« Reply #525 on: February 16, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
He made the claim on GLP.

Are we sure that he is IDW? Given our quibble is founded upon various bare assertions he makes, is their definitive proof on our part that he is IDW or is it circumstantial? With respect to you and others ought we keep our responses to what he has brought to these boards as Romulus?
He's admitted it on GLP.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #526 on: February 16, 2015, 09:54:50 AM »
He's admitted it on GLP.

Thanks. In that case I am proven to be in error and retract my comments.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #527 on: February 16, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »
...anyone who provides scientific disqualifications that you cannot address

When has that ever happened?  I must have missed it.  Can you provide examples?

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #528 on: February 16, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »
HAVE A NICE NITE....keep in mind, if you find yourself having to censor the words of one man engaging many in a wildly unbalanced contest, you are admitting you are totally inadequate to the task..

If I wanted to prevent people from discussing the hoax theory I wouldn't have been running this forum for the last 10 years. There are many posts expressing the belief that Apollo was faked in this forum and they are all publicly visible. So what does that tell you about my thoughts on censorship?

Let me make it clear to you and anyone else who doubts my fairness. I do not like to ban people or limit their ability to post. When I do it is because they are incapable of having a conversation without repeatedly insulting the other members of the forum. If you really want to prove the moon landings were faked then by all means, go ahead and try. But you DO NOT get to freely insult the other people here. I will bend over backwards to give you a chance, to the point where people are complaining to me that you've offended them and I didn't do anything about it.

If you were at all capable of discussing this subject without insulting people I wouldn't have to restrict your posts. But there were numerous posts by you waiting for moderation this morning and not one of them actually attempts to prove that the moon landings were faked. They are nothing but attacks against the members of this forum.

I gave you a chance, but now I see that you are not worthy of our time. You aren't bringing anything new to the discussion, you're just repeating the same old garbage that has been debunked for at least 15 years. And now it seems like you're not even interested in discussing Apollo at all... you're only interested in attacking people.

But there is one particular post by you waiting in moderation that is the reason why you are now banned. It is so offensive that I will not allow it in the forum. I will quote the first part to give everyone the gist of it:

You are racist, sexist, anti-Semitic and homophobic.

Thank you, I consider that a high compliment.

I pay for this forum. I therefore do not have to tolerate any people that I do not like, and people like you disgust me.

I am more than willing to discuss the hoax theory with anyone. I will never delete a post or ban someone just because they express hoax beliefs. All I ask is that you be relatively polite. I understand the discussion can sometimes get heated and some insults will be used. It's just something we have to put up with if we want to have a discussion. But you, as a proud bigot, are not worthy of membership in this forum.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #529 on: February 16, 2015, 10:43:49 AM »
If I wanted to prevent people from discussing the hoax theory I wouldn't have been running this forum for the last 10 years. There are many posts expressing the belief that Apollo was faked in this forum and they are all publicly visible. So what does that tell you about my thoughts on censorship?

The closest thing to censorship that I've witnessed was the conspiracist who, after experiencing an embarrassing shellacking, went back and deleted his own posts to hide his epic failure.  To Lunar Orbit's credit, he took immediate steps to prevent such a thing from occurring in the future.  Not only does Lunar Orbit not censor, but he has taken positive steps to assure that the words of those with whom he disagrees are preserved and remain accessible.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #530 on: February 16, 2015, 10:52:14 AM »
Very true, but no doubt Romulus will declare himself victorious (smartcooky predicted so, with the pigeon/chess analogy).
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #531 on: February 16, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »
Thus the reference to Beckett and Proust, authors whose characters I have been spending time with lately. 
Could you please summarize Proust for us? (Sorry.)

Remembrance of Things Past is a series of seven books.  In audio form, most of them last between 25 and 30 hours.  The particular feature that is of interest to me and applicable in this context is the richness of descriptions found in them.  Sometimes Proust will invoke three of four similes to describe a minor feature of a room, a distant sound or the emotional effect of a few words spoken by a character.  One that comes to mind; in invoking the mood of a cold winter day with a faint sun, he describes the pale color of the light as the sun peaked into the room to warm itself by the fire.  The richness of the characters, particularity their inner life, is wonderful.  The plot is semi-autobiographical and follows Marcel  through his life from the perspective of his later life while still evoking the characteristics that are appropriate to the age at which the memory comes from.   The plot is slow moving and incidental to the descriptiveness.  That is his childhood is told with and adults perspective but evokes the needs. longings and misinterpretations of a child.  As Marcel ages the characteristics of this childhood evolve but also linger, unresolved.   Just as they do for us, only in more descriptive detail than most people could ever evoke, or even wish to do so. 

I contrast this to Beckett, whose novels are sparse of word and many of the characters are largely and unknowingly disconnected from the world in which they live or are part of some obscure order or hierarchy that directs them.   They either don't know how they got to where they are or follow instructions because the consequences of disobedience are vague but bad.  Or both. 

In Romulus' case, as presented here, he is long on descriptive words  and inner life but short on connecting them any objective version of the world. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:35:17 PM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #532 on: February 16, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »
Very true, but no doubt Romulus will declare himself victorious (smartcooky predicted so, with the pigeon/chess analogy).

Indeed. I think the GLP thread will be "spammed" by him in some minutes/hours. He is well known for this MO.
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #533 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:34 AM »
I'm glad he's gone from here, though.  Thank you, LO.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #534 on: February 16, 2015, 11:06:34 AM »
If I wanted to prevent people from discussing the hoax theory I wouldn't have been running this forum for the last 10 years.

Specifically, we are here to discuss allegations of the hoax of a moon landing.  We encourage CTists to post and explain themselves.  We (collectively) offer the service of allowing them to test their theories against an audience that will take them seriously and address their specific arguments.  Apollohoax is the only place in the universe dedicated to offering this service. And we do if for free, except of course for LO, who graciously pays for the privilege of allowing CTers a forum in which to prove themselves. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #535 on: February 16, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »
"Look on my works ye mighty and despair"
"Ummm..ok..which works?"
"Don't quibble. I have works, and I demand that you look upon them and despair"
"So far I am despairing of seeing them."
"They'll be along shortly, but I strongly advise that you despair anyway."
"Can I wait until I've seen them before despairing?"
"No. They're amazing, and by golly you will despair, trust me."
"Will they be along soon, only I need to get the tea on?"
"Pah! You imbeciles are going to be really sorry you you didn't despair sooner when I get these works to you...wait...come back..how dare you..."

[exit, pursued by a bare assertion]

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #536 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »
"Look on my works ye mighty and despair"
"Ummm..ok..which works?"
"Don't quibble. I have works, and I demand that you look upon them and despair"
"So far I am despairing of seeing them."
"They'll be along shortly, but I strongly advise that you despair anyway."
"Can I wait until I've seen them before despairing?"
"No. They're amazing, and by golly you will despair, trust me."
"Will they be along soon, only I need to get the tea on?"
"Pah! You imbeciles are going to be really sorry you you didn't despair sooner when I get these works to you...wait...come back..how dare you..."

[exit, pursued by a bare assertion]

Great.. and true  ;D

Why do I think actually about Jeff Dunham and Ahmed and his hysterical voice when being upset?

"Pah! You imbeciles are going to be really sorry you you didn't despair sooner when I get these works to you...wait...come back..how dare you... I KILL YOU"

;D
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #537 on: February 16, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »
I'm glad he's gone from here, though.

Yes, he was quite tiresome and offensive at many levels. He was extremely precious about his higher level intellect, but was most unwilling to put it on display. There was certainly a lot of bluster.

I think the poking about his '-isms' and '-phobias' finally broke the camel's back, and thankfully moderation was already in place so none of us had to see his darker side. I don't see what he had to gain knowing that his posts were moderated, what a waste of effort and time from someone that claimed he did not have a lot of time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:16:37 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #538 on: February 16, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
Apollohoax is the only place in the universe dedicated to offering this service.

A bold claim, but in balance... probably true.  :P :P :P

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #539 on: February 16, 2015, 12:12:28 PM »
I'm glad he's gone from here, though.  Thank you, LO.

Indeed, he is not worthy of an intelligent person's attention.  Good thing he has his moral ethics and character to fall back on.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams