Author Topic: 2012 maya calendar  (Read 101062 times)

Offline SolusLupus

• Earth
Re: 2012 maya calendar
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
As XKCD put it, the 2012 mythos is about all that draws people into learning about Mesoamerican culture.  Past 2012, it'll be a surprise if people even talk about these ancient peoples again, much less try to understand them in the slightest.
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.” -- Kahlil Gibran

My blog about life, universe, and everything: http://solusl.blogspot.com/

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »
We can make many misstakes attempting to understand ancient texts and sign posts, the most erroneous is to assume we know more then ancient peoples, another is to believe we understand what they were attempting to communicate.

In Gary Zukav's book "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" he presents compelling evidence showing that physics has just begun to cognize the Universe in depths that can be found in ancient vedic texts. If you understand the impact of this, you realize that mystics understood Existence or Being long before the invention of science.

The second part of this is, that to understand Vedic or mystical texts it is imperative to know that these texts cannot be understood through thinking. They are not presenting constructs, they are intuitive cognitions, projected through mystical experience from within the field of absolute being. To KNOW, one must experience the same. Without the experience, one can only guess at what the experience is, there is no knowing.

So with that said.
It is comforting to assume that 'time' is constant. Yet time is merely a concept of measurement. An interval, a unit depicting the movement or change of form or matter. Passage or flow of thoughts reinforces the illusion that time is real.

I cannot attempt to explain the Mayan calendar, I can offer an interesting view that may lend support to...whatever may be.

Terence McKenna in his work "Time Wave Zero" cognized and provided proofs for an underlying pattern to the evolution of existence.

Reflecting on a vision that form or matter is vibration within the field of undifferentiated, Mckenna's work may be translated in terms that form or matter vibrates within a field of undifferentiated which also vibrates and does so in a recognizable pattern. This underlying vibration ultimately effects all.
Simply put, this patten can be compared to a music scale and it's octaves. As the Universe evolves it moves from one vibration to the next and then to the next octave, each octave allowing for another level of complexity to come into existence.
And similar to a musical scale there maybe a limit to the range of octaves.
Maybe we are reaching the end of the range or just the limit of our capability to cognize the range.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 04:14:48 PM »
Do you care to concede you previous threads before starting out on a new "speculative" venture.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
In truth, there is not anything that remains the same, everything changes.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 06:29:22 PM »

Not true. The scientifcally ignorant will always find "deep" meaning in vacuous statements. As your interpretation of Zukav amply demonstrates.

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »
Not true. The scientifcally ignorant will always find "deep" meaning in vacuous statements. As your interpretation of Zukav amply demonstrates.
What remains the same?

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »
What remains the same?

The willingness to believe in crackpot ideas.  That is the nothing new we shine on, because there is no alternative.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 07:52:11 PM »
Evasion noted.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 08:23:27 PM »
We can make many misstakes attempting to understand ancient texts and sign posts, the most erroneous is to assume we know more then ancient peoples, another is to believe we understand what they were attempting to communicate.

In other words, if we say the Mayians were NOT predicting the end of the world, then obviously we just don't understand what they were trying to communicate. But any nut who claims they were predicting the end of the world understands them perfectly.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »

In other words, if we say the Mayians were NOT predicting the end of the world, then obviously we just don't understand what they were trying to communicate. But any nut who claims they were predicting the end of the world understands them perfectly.
I thought it might be interesting to site another source of knowledge that may support the understanding of the Mayan's calendar to be predicting the end of ? to be in December of 2012.

The insanity is  thinking you know.

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 09:39:51 PM »
Evasion noted.
If anyone wants to discuss JFK in the other thread, I will join when appropriate.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
Evasion noted.
If anyone wants to discuss JFK in the other thread, I will join when appropriate.

You've got some questions just waiting for you. You've made claims that you haven't defended. Now is appropriate.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
The willingness to believe in crackpot ideas.  That is the nothing new we shine on, because there is no alternative.
Are you the arbitor of truth?

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »
You've got some questions just waiting for you. You've made claims that you haven't defended. Now is appropriate.
OK

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
Are you the arbitor of truth?
Yes I am! How did you know?