Author Topic: Saturn V model making  (Read 8286 times)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Saturn V model making
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I've been working on a model Saturn V for some time. I've been keeping a blog of my (slow!) progress, so thought I'd share it with you guys.

http://jasont1979.livejournal.com/

Enjoy!
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: Saturn V model making
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:25:13 AM »
Very impressive!

I have an Airfix Saturn V kit in the den at the moment, about 90% complete. It's years since I worked on it, but I have many other calls on my time, even in the den (one of my other hobbies is wargaming and I paint the armies I use).

I only have to paint the Saturn, but I don't have an airbrush, nor the inclination to get one. So it's going to be a very slow job of brush painting.

And since I started painting the kit I've changed over from using enamel to acrylic paint. So I think I might have to spray it all over with a primer and start again...

Offline Philthy

• Venus
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:39:49 AM »
Before you go mixing different types of paint, do a test job.
It's not fun when differnt paint types react to each other. It's bad enough on cars, I'd imagine it would destroy plastic.

Phil
The capacity of conspiracy theorists to deny science and hand-wave away evidence is infinite, as is their level of stupid. -- Smartcooky

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:38:20 AM »
That is cool.  I did a bit of a clear out yesterday so now I have an empty corner of my living room that could use something.  A Saturn V model might fit in there nicely.  Might be getting a bit gaudy though what with the Apollo spacecraft model next to the TV, the plaque of Apollo pins hanging on the wall and the photos I took of Redstone, Atlas and Titan rockets in the KSC Rocket Garden.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 04:59:25 AM »
I'll have to get some tips from you; your work makes mine look like it was done by a 6 year old with the DTs! I've got the Revell kit in the cupboard, along with a second LM kit, another CSM and when I have got the required skill not to stuff it up, the Atomic City 1/12 Mercury capsule.

I think I'd like to get a Saturn IB and perhaps a Gemini, too.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »
Glad everyone is enjoying it. I hope that some people do take something from my own trials and tribulations!
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 02:19:37 AM »
Something along these lines on my list. I did wonder where the teleport came in as a sped read the article though.... looking good.

Modelling went on hold this summer. Just started again after quite a few years break.

Offline gtvc

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 05:51:37 PM »
Very nice  ;D I had a Revell lunar module when I was a kid, later I got a monogram lunar module and later I got a saturn V in a toy box but yours its better  :D