Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479171 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #780 on: October 19, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »
Yes, exactly the problem.  Each month brought a new sock-puppet nickname with a new fabricated backstory.  The latter is what kills me.  I will give anyone credit for the knowledge he has and the experiences he's had, as long as he or she is honest about it.  But if you feel that you need to invent a "character" to make your point, then I don't really have much respect for you.  It trivializes the whole experience.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #781 on: October 20, 2014, 09:43:26 AM »
Sort of weird - someone showed up recently on the JREF claiming to be Tekeli's brother, and defending him very aggressively. Whoever the poster was, it sounded just like one of Dr. Socks' puppets. Could grandiose thinking be a family trait?

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #782 on: October 20, 2014, 11:06:16 AM »
Self-employed conspiracy lover with time on his hands posts all over the internet using his brother's identity to cover his ass, but his hobby gets disrupted when his brother inconveniently dies....

Probably has no basis in truth at all, but it's as good a conspiracy as any other...

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #783 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »
Michael T certainly has the Fatty Dash attitude.  A familial trait? A return from a faked death and a long stay in a place with no internet?  A resurrection?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Alas, the familial trait theory is most likely and also the least intriguing, and Michael is indeed who he claims to be.  Michael is doing no good at repairing the Faddy Dash reputation.  If he had only given us a rational explanation for such irrational behavior instead of modeling it.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #784 on: October 20, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
Self-employed conspiracy lover with time on his hands posts all over the internet using his brother's identity to cover his ass, but his hobby gets disrupted when his brother inconveniently dies....

Probably has no basis in truth at all, but it's as good a conspiracy as any other...

You know, that's quite an intriguing one!

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #785 on: October 20, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the theory I heard about a while back, based on the belief that Dr Socks didn't come across as the sort of person that would have the accomplishments and qualifications that he was claiming but was obviously on fairly intimate terms with the person who did.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #786 on: October 20, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »
Considering the time of year this is, it's probably appropriate that we are dealing with a Zombie Sockpuppet.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #787 on: October 20, 2014, 03:02:34 PM »
Considering the time of year this is, it's probably appropriate that we are dealing with a Zombie Sockpuppet.

I wonder if he visits Jockndoris?

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #788 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:41 PM »

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the theory I heard about a while back, based on the belief that Dr Socks didn't come across as the sort of person that would have the accomplishments and qualifications that he was claiming but was obviously on fairly intimate terms with the person who did.

Many people have friends or relatives that start off living quirky but accomplished lives only to have the quirks overrule the accomplishments as time passes.  Such seems to be the case for Dr.T.  The bits of his personal life that I found on the Internet led me to the view of a man that did many things with a idiosyncratic passion and told self promoting stories about them without letting mere facts get in the way.  At least that is what he did one home brew forum.  Which is OK, even endearing to some, when discussing beer making or bicycles.  But it ceases to be a endearing quirk when discussing patient's health.  He certainly approached Apollo with a pretty much with a "this is my story and the facts be damned" narrative.

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #789 on: October 20, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
In his mind, he should never be banned even when his first post on a forum makes him look like a troll because of the 50+ youtube links. 

(Re. Cosmored)
Okay, yeah, that's the guy I was thinking of. I've never seen anyone else quite like him. He will make a gratuitous on-topic one-liner or a frequently spammed copy-n-paste paragraph followed by 50 to 100 lines of links to other threads where he has commented. Often, when you go to one of those threads, you will find the same thing: dozens of links to still other threads.

Here are the two videos about Cosmored's behavior that I was referring to earlier, by Betamax101:

Pay particular attention to time stamp 2:23 - 2:37, in the second video.
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #790 on: October 20, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »
In his mind, he should never be banned even when his first post on a forum makes him look like a troll because of the 50+ youtube links. 

(Re. Cosmored)
Okay, yeah, that's the guy I was thinking of. I've never seen anyone else quite like him. He will make a gratuitous on-topic one-liner or a frequently spammed copy-n-paste paragraph followed by 50 to 100 lines of links to other threads where he has commented. Often, when you go to one of those threads, you will find the same thing: dozens of links to still other threads.

Here are the two videos about Cosmored's behavior that I was referring to earlier, by Betamax101:

Not only do you find links to other threads, often if you keep following them they'll lead you back in a full circle.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #791 on: October 20, 2014, 10:28:31 PM »
Yes, he links to himself as an authority.  He'll post links upon links to document "what's being said" on some topic.  But when you unravel his myriad nicknames you discover he's just referring to all the other places where he himself has spammed the same claims.

JREF won't allow him to post links anymore.  So he basically avoids the forum now, trying to draw everyone to Spurstalk where he is the resident village idiot.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #792 on: October 21, 2014, 09:34:11 AM »

(Re. Cosmored)

Some days ago I thought Cosmored is another sockpuppet of Tegeli. Now I know, it's not. So to get the facts straight I have to ask: Cosmored = CosmicDave?
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #793 on: October 21, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »

(Re. Cosmored)

Some days ago I thought Cosmored is another sockpuppet of Tegeli. Now I know, it's not. So to get the facts straight I have to ask: Cosmored = CosmicDave?
No.  Cosmo is far more out there and irrational.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #794 on: October 21, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »
It is very hard to tell the players without a program.