Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479021 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #480 on: March 06, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
I'm wondering what he meant by, "...due to dithering the radio receiver on earth to determine the LM's position..."

It makes me think of the tech rider request for, "Two speakers and a four-channel SM58" I heard about today.  That is; a poor attempt at regurgitating technical terms the user doesn't actually understand.

I'm not quite intrigued enough to go back through the various threads and try to figure out where he picked up dithering from, what he thinks it is, and how he thinks it applies (much less, how he thinks it LESSENS the accuracy of a measurement).

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #481 on: March 06, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
Yeah, that was pathetic. A search on that JREF thread for "regurgitat" found these posts where he was called out on it:

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=7859882&postcount=5556
http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=7810950&postcount=5042
I suddenly now have the urge to ask theloniusmonkey to explain the Doppler effect in his own words.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #482 on: March 06, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »
I'm wondering what he meant by, "...due to dithering the radio receiver on earth to determine the LM's position..."

He's implying GPS here, in 1969!

A little knowledge.....?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #483 on: March 07, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »
A very little.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »
I'm not sure what he could have meant by "dithering". Maybe he's talking about varying the pointing angles of the tracking antennas to center the signals in their beamwidths.

That is one of the information sources that can be used, but it is by no means the only one, and it's not nearly as accurate as two-way Doppler and PN ranging from multiple sites.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #485 on: March 09, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
Out in left field...

I read someone once again spouting the old chestnut that the reason no one involved in the hoax has blown the whistle is because of death threats, either from the CIA or some other black bag outfit.

No offense intended to our non-US friends here, but I get the feeling that most of the ones saying this aren't that familiar with life in America.  I just think that all those good ole boys in Houston, Huntsville, etc wouldn't all have responded so meekly to death threats, especially after a few beers on the weekend.

If there HAD been a threat-enforced cover-up, the surprising thing isn't that it worked, but that there weren't any reports of fire-fights involving NASA personnel.

Just a random thought...
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #486 on: March 09, 2013, 03:41:01 PM »
Just keeping the record complete..  Rather hilariously attempting to bait Jay, 'theloniusmonkey' - in a rather damning piece of self-identification as Patrick "I hate Jay" Tekeli - has now posted a plea for less 'harshness' at BAUT.

:D

The thread has been closed (natch..), but not before it got a few bites..

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #487 on: March 09, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »
To enforce the death threats,  the "NASA death squads" would have to be made aware of the fact of the existence of the hoax.

And other death squads would have to be sent to enforce their silence.

It's death squads all the way down.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #488 on: March 09, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »
I almost posted to that.  Taking it in face value, if you walk on webbed feet and quack, you shouldn't be upset if people ask if you are a duck.

What he is doing looks exactly like JAQ'ing.  And is on old familiar refrains that have been sung almost exclusively by hoax believers.  (Sorry...now my ducks are singing.  Perhaps it is Lohengrin?)  And he is doing it in a style and approach which looks just like that of hoax believers.

And innocent or not, this comes down to poor forum etiquette.  If you are going to join a new forum, you are obligated to read some of the history and get a sense of the place.  Do they swear a lot there?  Does any mention of recasting turn rapidly into a flame war?  Are they already COMPLETELY over Matt Smith and want to talk about something new?

Whoever you are, man-that-walks-like-Patrick-and-quacks-like-Patrick, you have only yourself to blame for the equivalent of walking into a pen-turner's forum and asking them if they ever considered turning something more useful, like table legs perhaps.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #489 on: March 10, 2013, 07:00:38 AM »
Often wondered who watches the death squads, who watches the watchmen and all that, it seems to be a stance many a hoax believer takes. So, how do you prove the squads loyalty?

Interviewer. Can you keep a secret?
Applicant. Yes.
Interviewer. Right, your are in. Start Monday.
Applicant. What will my duties be?
Interviewer. Can't tell you, its secret.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #490 on: March 10, 2013, 07:18:37 AM »
Just keeping the record complete..  Rather hilariously attempting to bait Jay, 'theloniusmonkey' - in a rather damning piece of self-identification as Patrick "I hate Jay" Tekeli - has now posted a plea for less 'harshness' at BAUT.
The thread has been closed (natch..), but not before it got a few bites..
P1k has simply progressed from blatant sockery to attempting "clever" sockery, and failed. Yet he still can't seem to help himself revealing his identity with his Jay obsession.

:D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:20:44 AM by Abaddon »

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #491 on: March 10, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »
Am I missing fun ay CQ? I can't access it because there's something wrong with their Tapatalk plugin.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #492 on: March 10, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »
Often wondered who watches the death squads, who watches the watchmen and all that, it seems to be a stance many a hoax believer takes. So, how do you prove the squads loyalty?

Interviewer. Can you keep a secret?
Applicant. Yes.
Interviewer. Right, your are in. Start Monday.
Applicant. What will my duties be?
Interviewer. Can't tell you, its secret.

Doing a bit of Satanic Advocacy, I guess the HB view is that THEY (the overlords) would use the generic death squads they have on call who don't need to be given a reason, just a name.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #493 on: March 10, 2013, 01:53:11 PM »
Am I missing fun ay CQ? I can't access it because there's something wrong with their Tapatalk plugin.

To be honest, I don't even know what thread he's talking about.  I mean, I saw the complaint thread, but nothing is showing up for me in CT.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #494 on: March 10, 2013, 02:09:05 PM »
That's because it's in "Space Exploration", not "Conspiracy Theories". Here's Jay's post that provoked the complaint:
http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?142789-How-Do-The-Cooling-Systems-On-Spacecraft-Radiate-Away-The-Heat-They-Create&p=2113917#post2113917