Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 341977 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
Actually, he was around my house having a cup of tea and a biscuit, Jaffa Cake I think, the tea was Darjeeling with a slice of lemon, we were watching the landing on TV. Just not got around to writing a book about it.

Liar, liar, he was with me playing bridge and I was on the surface of Mars at the time. The UK had a covert space programme and we landed there first, about 10 minutes before the Eagle. We had a nice cup of tea on the Martian surface. I helped him and Buzz fix the switch that was broken in the LM. I used a piece of bubble gum, a rusty nail and an old paper clip. I took the elastic from my space underpants too.

Where do these people surface from? Really, if there was the slightest credibility in the story, the press would be all over it like a rash. Watergate anyone?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2014, 12:20:14 PM »
You should probably mention that you are its publishers. Anyway, I've read the synopsis and it's the ramblings of a fantasist.

When the publisher's synopsis contains the sentences, "However, when Neil Armstrong died in 2012, lots of memories started flooding back [to the author]," and "Read how the author met Neil Armstrong's ghost several times and how he recalled with complete freedom the secrets behind the greatest military hoax of all times," you know you're about to be swindled.

Yes, since you're not apparently making your book generally available, Jockndoris, please fill us in on whether the it's intended to be factual.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
It would be a little silly, to put it mildly. Why even let them out of whatever facility they would have been doing the filming in and risk being spotted? As astronauts (and they were astronauts, each Apollo 11 astronaut was a LEO veteran from Gemini), it's not like they weren't used to being confined.  Besides, if they were on the ground, how did they film the scenes of extended weightlessness in the film and video? No, even as a hoax claim, the whole idea fails under the mildest scrutiny.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2014, 12:27:39 PM »
That's the $64,000 question.

Since it appears his evidence is the author's conversations with the ghost of Neil Armstrong, I'm keeping my money.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2014, 12:30:51 PM »
How do you verify the identity of a ghost? It could be some other ghost impersonating imghostonating the ghost of Armstrong.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »
How do you verify the identity of a ghost? It could be some other ghost impersonating imghostonating the ghost of Armstrong.
Objection! A ghost is still a person, just deceased. ;)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »

I would like you to point me to an article in a reputable scientific publication which can substantiate that -  :P
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »

I would like you to point me to an article in a reputable scientific publication which can substantiate that -  :P

Will a YouTube link do?  ;)
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2014, 01:06:41 PM »
reputable scientific publication

I think that's a "no".

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »
Since it appears his evidence is the author's conversations with the ghost of Neil Armstrong...

Does Neil Armstrong's ghost get a cut of the book sales? We all know how careful he was about people using his fame for profit.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2014, 02:10:16 PM »

It's an ethical question, not a scientific one. Assuming ghosts exist that is, a rather large assumption, I admit.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »

You ask it. You say "whoooooooooooo are you......"

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2014, 03:21:36 PM »
Man oh man, the quality of hoaxers has seriously taken a dive. If they were flying a plane they'd have the instruments calling out "LANDING GEAR" and "DON'T SINK" as they would so dangerously close to the ground!
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »
Liar, liar, he was with me playing bridge and I was on the surface of Mars at the time. The UK had a covert space programme and we landed there first, about 10 minutes before the Eagle. We had a nice cup of tea on the Martian surface. I helped him and Buzz fix the switch that was broken in the LM. I used a piece of bubble gum, a rusty nail and an old paper clip. I took the elastic from my space underpants too.

Luke, have you ever seen "Alternative Three"

I have met conspiritards who think this was for real; they don't realise this is a mocumentary.

Oh, the stupid!!!

(NOTE: Last edit to correct wrong link)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:54:48 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
Oh, the stupid!!!

I'm not sure there is much to debate any more. I believe the moon hoax has exhaled it's last breath and is no more. It is not what it was, that is for sure. It has a fringe following and it's certainly not the 'movement' that the Blunder refers to. I don't see angry crowds demanding to know where billions of dollars were squandered.

Most people are eeking out a living in these austere times, and they are certainly not worried about the hoax theory. The politic in the UK focuses on our stance on Europe and immigration, the Scotland debate, and the state of our NHS and education system. People are deciding whether to vote for UKIP or ditch Liberal for Labour. These are the real issues that matter to people. I don't see people in coffee shops or bars discussing Apollo. Even to be on the side of Apollo is deemed a bit odd at times. I've  discussed the moon hoax with people, and the subject is usually met with 'does it really matter? Apollo really landed man on the Moon, why are you even bother talking about a lunatic fringe element.'

I've even discussed Apollo with no conspiratorial context. People aren't interested as a rule. If the HBs can't see this, then they must be deluded or financialy/emotionally invested in the theory.

Being on community radio, making a YT video or making a nuisance of yourself in public readily demonstrates the mentality of those that are still heavily invested in the theory. It's just an absurd oddity in life.

I'm sure we'll have others such as awe arrive here, but they're so rare now. When they come they are worth challenging so we can point to their lack of arguments.

Almost every major world event is surrounded by conspiracy because the snake oil salesmen can make a dirty buck or two. With the information age, conspiracy has become more accessible, it's become an industry, and where there is industry there is a competitive market for the product. Those that package their conspiracy well take the lion's share of the exposure - they ultimately profit.

I made a note of TV coverage during the 50th anniversary of JFK's assassination. There was barely a mention of the event, let alone the conspiracy theories. Maybe the TV schedulers avoided the theories out of respect for JFK. Given the popular nature of the JFK conspiracy, I thought more would have been made of it. Conspiracies come and go, and the moon hoax has gone.

9/11 put the last nail in the HBs product. Kaysing and Rene are gone, Fox made their special. It had some gravitas for a while, some people talked about it, and some people seized upon it for a profit making venture. It's now a faded product, all that's left is an absurd freak show that is wheeled out once in a while so we can mock it and poke it with a stick. The arguments have been debunked, it is no more.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:28:07 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch