Author Topic: Prof Brian Cox says what he really thinks...  (Read 22638 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Prof Brian Cox says what he really thinks...
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 04:46:34 AM »
Yes, but it puts it in the arena they can play in.
Anyone can insult. Only the truth has facts.
Besides, this isn't even a really good zinger.
It's a cut and paste 'If you believe x, you are stupid'.
Indy may have brought down the scimitar wielding goon with a single shot, but Doctor Cox is shooting blanks, in my opinion.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 04:49:22 AM »
He was chucking similar comments on astrology on one of the TV programs. Seems to have upset a few people. One the offended is an MP (Member for Parliament, an elected official).

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 06:16:56 AM »
I was debating with a HB in the Prof. Cox fb page until it seems he blocked me or deleted the thread. We were discussing why the lunar surface reflects light (really?) and why mountains appear to be near when they are very far. I presented him the evidence for each of his claims and he kept asking me the same question again and again until he was, I think, overwhelmed. At least some readers could see it to be informed. I went to his profile and I saw a lot anti-science stuff, ugh.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 06:59:42 AM »
Yes, but it puts it in the arena they can play in.

I'll take it in context given his position. I have no problem with what he said. It comes across as 'I've got better things to do than argue with people about Apollo.' Good for him, he says what he thinks without singling out any individuals. I really belive he has the earned the right to say it given all he has done to popularise science. It's a throw away line of a very busy and passionate scientist, and I'll take it at face value. If the hoaxies want to go and play in that arena then it shows that they are quick to run away from facts. They choose their areans to suit anyway, and often it's a little walled garden where they can't get hurt by facts.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 07:37:50 AM »
He was chucking similar comments on astrology on one of the TV programs. Seems to have upset a few people. One the offended is an MP (Member for Parliament, an elected official).

Probably this guy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28464009

Having someone like that work in the departments he does genuinely frightens me.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 07:42:11 AM »
there's a bit of choice language in this one, for those of a sensitive disposition to profanity

I like this one:

https://twitter.com/profbriancox/status/469856951871225857

It's a phrase he's used more than once on his twitter feed to describe hoaxnuts. I also think it works better without the 'k'.

And this link to a comic skit concerning a hoax, good stuff.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 07:46:56 AM »

Having someone like that work in the departments he does genuinely frightens me.
Scary, isn't it? A bit like Jeremy Hunt, the current Health secretary supporting mumbo-jumbo such as homoeopathy.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/08/jeremy-hunt-homeopathy-studies-chief-medical-officer

<shakes head and walks away>
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 08:30:50 AM »

Almost as good as the UKIP MEP (Stuart Agnew) who argued that reducing carbon emissions across Europe will mean there is no carbon dioxide for plants to grow, so what will happen to our crops?

The look on the faces of others in the chamber, an utter delight.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »

That's the fella. On the face of it I wonder how he is still an MP, but then he is in good company.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 08:46:04 AM »
Almost as good as the UKIP MEP (Stuart Agnew) who argued that reducing carbon emissions across Europe will mean there is no carbon dioxide for plants to grow, so what will happen to our crops?

Bwwwwwhahaha!!!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 12:20:50 PM »
Al Murray has entered the fray on his Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/almurray/status/623402407851098112

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
It comes across as 'I've got better things to do than argue with people about Apollo.'

Saying that is one thing, though I think the "conspiratorially minded" will see it as proof that he's in on the hoax.  However, I'm tired of the attitude that insulting people is being "plain-spoken" and "saying things as they are."  It's being rude and unhelpful.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 01:25:11 PM »
Saying that is one thing, though I think the "conspiratorially minded" will see it as proof that he's in on the hoax.

Which is how I interpret Prof Cox's comment. He can't be bothered, so either belive Apollo or join the ranks of the "conspiratorially minded." Except he chooses to call the "conspiratorially minded" something else.

However, I'm tired of the attitude that insulting people is being "plain-spoken" and "saying things as they are."  It's being rude and unhelpful.

I wouldn't advocate adopting the line as a primary/sole strategy. Maybe he's just tired of having his inbox filled and wants to have a bit of a vent. I think it's mildly amusing coming from a Professor of Physics, and one that's in the public eye makes it that bit more amusing. Despite posting several times in this thread, I'm not taking it seriously at all. It's nothing more than a bit of click bait, and a midly amusing one at that.

In fact, the down side of him speaking out is that he's probably brought the moon hoax into the public arena once more.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »
It comes across as 'I've got better things to do than argue with people about Apollo.'

Saying that is one thing, though I think the "conspiratorially minded" will see it as proof that he's in on the hoax.  However, I'm tired of the attitude that insulting people is being "plain-spoken" and "saying things as they are."  It's being rude and unhelpful.

Be honest now. Wouldn't the "conspiratorially minded" already be 100% certain in their own warped and feeble minds that Brian Cox was in on the hoax anyway. After all, he is a scientist, and these nut-jobs believe that all scientists the whole world over, regardless of disciplines or political borders, are in on this giant, global conspiracy to fool the public into thinking the Apollo landings were real.

I for one, find it refreshing that a person of Brian Cox's public profile doesn't mince his words, and says exactly what he thinks of these idiots, instead of towing the politically correct party line of pubic broadcasting. More power to him for doing so, and I would encourage him to continue treating these "conspiratorially minded" stupids with the utter contempt they deserve.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 07:52:40 PM »
What about intelligent people who just happened to learn enough about a conspiracy theory to believe it but not enough to know how wrong it is?  I know quite a few of those, and calling them stupid will just make them dig in their heels.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates