Apollo Discussions > The Hoax Theory

Descent Engine Dust Clouds

(1/4) > >>

BDL:
Hi all. I was watching some lunar touchdown footage and noticed that the dust that the descent engine flew up had fallen down and created a small dust cloud for a little bit. Am I correct in thinking that the dust is suspended in mid-vacuum for a little bit because of the gas that ejected from the descent Engine? I’m curious as to how this works. An example would be the Apollo 15 Touchdown, where it seems (at around 14:30 in the video) a small cloud of dust is formed for little bit.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=AxqKlDsgMzc

I guess I was under the impression that the gas from the descent engine would immediately disperse into the vacuum leaving no time for dust to be collected in a small cloud. I’m guessing now that this is wrong?

VQ:
I don't think there is enough resolution on the film to differentiate between a "cloud" (dust suspended more or less statically in a gas) versus ejected dust from the engine. Remember the engine doesn't stop emitting exhaust gas the second it is shut off, so it still could be entraining some dust around the LM.

BDL:

--- Quote from: VQ on October 24, 2018, 06:54:14 PM ---I don't think there is enough resolution on the film to differentiate between a "cloud" (dust suspended more or less statically in a gas) versus ejected dust from the engine. Remember the engine doesn't stop emitting exhaust gas the second it is shut off, so it still could be entraining some dust around the LM.

--- End quote ---

Makes sense. I was unaware that gas was still emitted when they landed.

bknight:

--- Quote from: BDL on October 24, 2018, 07:40:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: VQ on October 24, 2018, 06:54:14 PM ---I don't think there is enough resolution on the film to differentiate between a "cloud" (dust suspended more or less statically in a gas) versus ejected dust from the engine. Remember the engine doesn't stop emitting exhaust gas the second it is shut off, so it still could be entraining some dust around the LM.

--- End quote ---

Makes sense. I was unaware that gas was still emitted when they landed.

--- End quote ---

The engines don't stop emitting gasses instantly when they shut own.

raven:
Not sure how much dust it would kick up, but shortly after touch down on  Apollo 11, Buzz Aldrin calls out

--- Quote from: 04 06 47 03 LMP (TRANQ) ---Okay. It looks like we're venting the oxidizer now.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version