Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

Apollo 11 tapes for sale

(1/2) > >>

Obviousman:
From Colin Mackellar:

--- Quote ---Hi all,

You might see media reports today - like the one below….

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jun/28/apollo-11-tapes-moon-landing-sale-value-nearly-lost

Apollo 11 tapes bought for $218 may sell for millions after nearly being lost
Tapes identified in 2008 as the only surviving original recording of the first moon landing in 1969 are to go up for auction in July

Sat 29 Jun 2019 AEST

When Gary George bought a truckload of videotapes for $218 from a US government surplus auction more than 40 years ago, he planned to sell them to television stations – to record over.

For what it’s worth, I thought I'd mention that the tape search team is familiar with the background to these tapes. We evaluated them, more than 10 years ago, for the EVA TV restoration effort.

They are NTSC 525 line quad tapes recorded at Houston - so not slow scan - and not unique either.

There are quite a few “original recordings” of the converted TV - of variable quality.

While these tapes are quite good, they are certainly not "the only surviving original recording”.

I thought I should mention that, in case you were thinking of starting a fundraising campaign to buy them. ;-)

(I’ve seen reports that Sotheby’s hopes for $2.5 million for them.)

<https://www.sothebys.com/en/articles/one-small-step-one-rare-recording-see-the-moon-landing-like-never-before>

I certainly wish the seller well!

best wishes

Colin
--- End quote ---

bknight:
That was a great investment.

VQ:
I wondered about this, because the reporting on CNN was quite unclear. So these are one station's recordings of the original live TV broadcast of the EVA? From the way the article I saw was written, it sounded like these were unique film recordings that had been physically recorded on the moon's surface, which seemed incredible.

Obviousman:
They are just good quality NTSC video tapes of the mission.

apollo16uvc:

--- Quote from: VQ on July 02, 2019, 08:46:39 PM ---I wondered about this, because the reporting on CNN was quite unclear. So these are one station's recordings of the original live TV broadcast of the EVA? From the way the article I saw was written, it sounded like these were unique film recordings that had been physically recorded on the moon's surface, which seemed incredible.

--- End quote ---

These are tapes recorded At Houston.
Which means they are recordings directly from the tracking station signal and thus much higher quality than those recorded by people from TV, or by broadcasting stations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version