Apollo Discussions > The Reality of Apollo

"Apollo 11" Documentary

(1/13) > >>

Donnie B.:
Hi again to you all!  It's been quite a while... and I'm both glad to see a lot of familiar nyms around here (Hi gillianren!), and deeply discouraged that there's still a need for you to be manning the barricades. 

I dropped in to see if anyone had yet mentioned this new documentary: https://www.imax.com/movies/apollo-11-2019 . I couldn't find an existing topic about it; hope I'm not duplicating one. 

Anyhow, I just got back from seeing it at an IMAX theater.  Had to drive an hour each way since the closest theaters decided not to carry it (boo!  hiss!) but let me tell you, it was worth the trip!  This thing is FREAKING AWESOME!

It was made from high resolution movie film shot at the time but never screened, along with the movie and TV footage from the mission itself.  It's a very straightforward doco, no narration or framing footage, and no jumping back and forth in time.  But man, is it ever impressive on the IMAX screen!  I've never felt the liftoff so viscerally, and never had a clearer feel for the landing drama.  You can really see the boulder field as Neil scoots over it.

Unfortunately it's only in IMAX theaters for the next couple days, so get your hustle on if you have the opportunity.  It should have a wider release starting this Friday in regular theaters.  Highly, highly recommended!

For a more thorough review, check out Scott Manley's on YouTube (no link here in case that triggers moderation, but it should pop up in a search).

LunarOrbit:
I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I was going to see it last weekend but the weather didn't cooperate. I should be able to see it this weekend, but I'm disappointed it won't be shown in IMAX.

LunarOrbit:

--- Quote from: Donnie B. on March 05, 2019, 07:15:57 PM ---For a more thorough review, check out Scott Manley's on YouTube (no link here in case that triggers moderation, but it should pop up in a search).

--- End quote ---

There's no problem with posting videos here, especially Scott Manley's.

JayUtah:

--- Quote from: Donnie B. on March 05, 2019, 07:15:57 PM ---Anyhow, I just got back from seeing it at an IMAX theater.  Had to drive an hour each way since the closest theaters decided not to carry it (boo!  hiss!) but let me tell you, it was worth the trip!  This thing is FREAKING AWESOME!
--- End quote ---

I can't think of a better description.  The screening at Sundance was pretty dramatic, but the IMAX version is hell-and-gone better.  The Saturn V liftoff sequence was the closest I've ever experienced to an actual rocket launch without being at, you know, an actual rocket launch.  And at least 90 percent of the film was footage even I've never seen before.  Or if I have, certainly not that dramatically framed.

--- Quote ---For a more thorough review, check out Scott Manley's on YouTube...
--- End quote ---

At the office, we're fans.  I want to have him narrate all my presentations.

Donnie B.:

--- Quote from: LunarOrbit on March 05, 2019, 09:00:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: Donnie B. on March 05, 2019, 07:15:57 PM ---For a more thorough review, check out Scott Manley's on YouTube (no link here in case that triggers moderation, but it should pop up in a search).

--- End quote ---

There's no problem with posting videos here, especially Scott Manley's.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, LO.  Some fora automatically send new posts to moderation if they contain more than one link.  I wasn't sure about that here so I limited myself to the one.

A couple other observations on the movie:

- It was good to hear Walter Kronkite's voice again.  So much more gravitas than what passes for news anchors these days.

- The lunar ascent was dizzying on the big screen.  You get a real feel for the way the guidance system controlled the RCS, seemingly oscillating around the desired track.  Then, as the LM approached the rendezvous with the CSM, I found myself thinking: "This is the very thing that was the big objection to the LOR mission mode".

- I noticed a handful of very minor errors in the simple animations used to illustrate the mission phases.  You'd have to be pretty fussy to complain about those, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version