Author Topic: I think I saw a moon rock today  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
I think I saw a moon rock today
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:00:17 PM »
At the Tycho Brahe planetarium in Copenhagen. It is supposedly a 200 gram rock collected by Apollo 17.

That's a big rock to be outside USA.

Is it genuine?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: I think I saw a moon rock today
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »
At the Tycho Brahe planetarium in Copenhagen. It is supposedly a 200 gram rock collected by Apollo 17.

That's a big rock to be outside USA.

Is it genuine?
Checks out, I'd say. See page 4 of 5 of this PDF and this website listing various Lunar Sample Displays and this PDF (see page 12). Both the sample ID number and location match up.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:15:34 AM »
Kewl. It's probably worth more than the building itself.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 03:22:49 AM »
Kewl. It's probably worth more than the building itself.
Until we send people up with the tools to study in-situ about as well as what we do on Earth, priceless, I'd say. At least it's not another piece of petrified wood!  ;D

Offline ajv

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:21:39 AM »
Note, these Lunar Sample Displays should not be confused with the Goodwill samples (70017) -  that were distributed to nations around the world.

collectspace have an article about it with a request to try to track down more of the current locations of the presentation items.

Te Papa in Wellington NZ have a piece of the Goodwill sample along with a flown NZ flag:
https://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/object/64372

BTW: when you read 260mm (width), 365mm (height), 60mm (depth) that's the commemorative piece of wood - not the sample.

I recall this being on display at the old Dominion Museum in Wellington. These days the item is in storage.