Author Topic: Faking the moon landings  (Read 139645 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Faking the moon landings
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:52:34 AM »
One of the more priceless bits of information concerning the A11 mission is the Jodrell Bank tracking of the mission as it landed.

One source of many

http://www.jodrellbank.net/20-july-1969-lovell-telescope-tracked-eagle-lander-onto-surface-moon/
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: Faking the moon landings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 04:24:10 AM »
One of the more priceless bits of information concerning the A11 mission is the Jodrell Bank tracking of the mission as it landed.

One source of many

http://www.jodrellbank.net/20-july-1969-lovell-telescope-tracked-eagle-lander-onto-surface-moon/

I notice the audio player doesn't work on that site (well at least it doesn't for me), but no matter.

Here it is for anyone who wants to download it and listen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/chwtsiyzm544w6u/Luna15-Apollo11.mp3?dl=1
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »

On the role of Jodrell bank, it was discussed that Doppler shift is evidence of Apollo's veracity. ka9q explained that it would be theoretically possible to fake the Doppler shift, but not possible to fool the operators at the DSN (??? if I recall). I cannot find his post. Does anyone remember exactly what he said on this point? I may have this completely incorrect.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:02:03 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 01:26:40 PM »

On the role of Jodrell bank, it was discussed that Doppler shift is evidence of Apollo's veracity. ka9q explained that it would be theoretically possible to fake the Doppler shift, but not possible to fool the operators at the DSN (??? if I recall). I cannot find his post. Does anyone remember exactly what he said on this point? I may have this completely incorrect.

That sounds like one of the Blunder's claims, along with as I recall, The Russians could not tune their DSN to Apollo's frequency.  In his mind the Russians could track nor listen in .  But I do remember a video of Leonov discussing how they were listening in on the landing live.   So much for the Grandson's ability to research facts.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »
As you add in more and more, and yet more pieces of evidence to collection of knowledge, it gets to the stage where there would have to have been a vast army of people working on it, and a hidden budget waaay more than the Apollo programme actually cost, to do all of it.  And you'd have to keep it all covered up for a very long time.

As often mentioned, it would be cheaper and easier to actually send people to the Moon...  ;D
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »
And as I've said, it is literally not possible, even with today's technology, to fake the footage.  Tim thinks I believe that because I don't know enough about movies (my fifth column on the movie site I write for debuts today), but I could tell you in exacting detail what's wrong with, for example, the segment in Apollo 13 where Jim Lovell daydreams about walking on the Moon.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 06:12:48 PM »
...but I could tell you in exacting detail what's wrong with, for example, the segment in Apollo 13 where Jim Lovell daydreams about walking on the Moon.

Oooo... please do. I've heard you and others talk about 2001: A Space Odyssey, and how that film provides evidence for the difficulty of filming Apollo on Earth. It would be interesting to hear your detailing of such a small segment from a film, let alone large portions from films such as 2001.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 03:18:22 AM »
Apollo 13 -- and From the Earth to the Moon -- are instructional in how they actually approached filming. It is in almost every detail entirely different from how the hoaxies describe it being done.

(Indirectly; the hoaxies can't be tasked to provide an actual narrative, but you can reconstruct the slapdash affair they appear to be imagining from the various "telling details" they believe they have discovered.)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 04:30:08 AM »
And as I've said, it is literally not possible, even with today's technology, to fake the footage.  Tim thinks I believe that because I don't know enough about movies (my fifth column on the movie site I write for debuts today), but I could tell you in exacting detail what's wrong with, for example, the segment in Apollo 13 where Jim Lovell daydreams about walking on the Moon.

I would love to hear that. I know that the billowing dust clouds are a problem but I'm sure there are others.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »

I would love to hear that. I know that the billowing dust clouds are a problem but I'm sure there are others.

There are issues with how the suits move around.  Mythbusters did a segment where they showed that both overcranking and wire rigs resulted in movement of suit elements (helmet, hoses, camera harness, lanyards, flaps, etc.) that didn't match up with Apollo footage.  The only thing that resulted in matching movement?  Using a Vomit Comet to simulate 1/6 Earth gravity. 

In the "That's All There Is" episode of FTETTM, there's a shot of Dave Foley as Al Bean futzing with the TV camera with the "sun" directly behind him, and you see all kinds of dust floating around.   That's the clearest example, but there are others where you see dust floating in the air.  And, of course, every shot of a LM landing had huge billowing dust clouds. 

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
Give me time to do some research (as in, rewatch From the Earth to the Moon and Apollo 13), and I'll do a column about it for the film site I write for.  But the short version is, yeah, dust and movement.  I suppose you could CGI the dust, though it's awfully expensive and time consuming for something only a handful of people care about.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »

Vaguely rings a bell. Did you search the archive?

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 02:09:31 PM »
Give me time to do some research (as in, rewatch From the Earth to the Moon and Apollo 13), and I'll do a column about it for the film site I write for.  But the short version is, yeah, dust and movement.
Thanks! If you do, it would make interesting reading.

I suppose you could CGI the dust, though it's awfully expensive and time consuming for something only a handful of people care about.
By the time "From the Earth to the Moon" was made, CGI technology was just about capable of effects like that, although as you say, they would be very expensive and time consuming.  There was nothing even vaguely up to the job at the time of Apollo.

I think I mentioned, either here or on CQ, that I spent many years working on graphics system software, and if anything remotely capable of those effects had been available in the 1960's, it wouldn't have stayed a secret for long, since the movie industry would have leapt on it (much as they did in the 1990's).

People who believe that the Apollo films, videos and photographs were faked seem to have done no research into what tools were available at the time, and apparently think Photoshop was developed in the 19th Century, probably running on Babbage's Analytical Engine...  :D
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 03:01:33 PM »

This the one?

http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=998.msg34356#msg34356

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »

This the one?

http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=998.msg34356#msg34356

And in that thread was the video of Leonov discussing listening in on the landing.

Eugene Cernan