Author Topic: Edgar Mitchell (Apollo 14) died 04-feb-2016  (Read 5435 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Edgar Mitchell (Apollo 14) died 04-feb-2016
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 08:04:04 AM »
Uumm, were any of the other astronauts not as approachable or gentlemanly?

They're all gentlemen, but living in the public eye for so long wears one down when it comes to meeting new people.  Ed was genuinely friendly to everyone he met.  Not to speak ill of Ed's commander, but when I met Al -- let's just say he lived up to his reputation.  Not everyone is cut out to be a people person.  That doesn't mean they're not fascinating and that time spent with them is wasted.
Thanks for the update, I would have liked to meet any of them, and if their was a address around here I would attend.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »
Thanks for the update, I would have liked to meet any of them, and if their was a address around here I would attend.

In Al's defense, he's the one who got me all fired up to study engineering and space professionally.  Whenever I think of taking a shortcut, I honestly do think to myself "What would Alan Shepard do?"  But Al wasn't a people person.  Talking to him, you got the distinct impression he'd rather be anywhere but where he is at the moment.  Stil, you were glad you were there.

Ed was basically the world's grandpa.  Always had time for you and always treated you like you were the most important thing on his mind at the moment.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »

In Al's defense, he's the one who got me all fired up to study engineering and space professionally.  Whenever I think of taking a shortcut, I honestly do think to myself "What would Alan Shepard do?"  But Al wasn't a people person.  Talking to him, you got the distinct impression he'd rather be anywhere but where he is at the moment.  Stil, you were glad you were there.

Ed was basically the world's grandpa.  Always had time for you and always treated you like you were the most important thing on his mind at the moment.
Ok, how many other Apollo astronauts have you contacted personally?  I never had heard that Alan wasn't a people person, but then again I never have chatted with anyone who actually knew/chatted with any of them.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan