Author Topic: What went wrong by mission  (Read 11940 times)

Offline Mag40

• Mars
What went wrong by mission
« on: August 29, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
HBs always go on about how NASA managed to send 6 faultless missions to the Moon. But obviously this ignores all the numerous things that went wrong. I thought a good idea to put all the problems encountered, into one thread(unless you guys have done this before ;D).

So to get the ball rolling -

Apollo 11, the two alarms 1201 and 1202 caused by the radar overloading(?), the switch breaking off needing an improvised pen.

Apollo 12 lightning strike - SCE to aux.

Apollo 13 well documented.

Apollo 14 Docking Probe Capture Latch Engagement problem.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: What went wrong by mission
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:58:04 AM »
I seem to recall a battery overheating problems with the Lunar rover on Apollo 16?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Miss Vocalcord

• Venus
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:35:56 AM »

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »
It's worth including Mercury and Gemini as well - most HBs seem unaware of those programs.

Gemini 8 - Agena's attitude control problem, which led to the mission being aborted and could have killed the astronauts.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Miss Vocalcord

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
And I guess Apollo 1 shouldn't be left out either.
Is there a way to put this all in the opening post?

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »
Apollo 12  Failure of color TV camera.

Apollo 14  LM computer wrongly receiving abort signal, failure of LM landing radar to initially lock on.

Apollo 16  Failure in an SPS engine backup system that delayed lunar landing.

Apollo 17  Damaged LRV fender.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »
Apollo 16:
https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a16/a16.landing.html

3 separate problems - 6hr delay to landing.
"Ken Mattingly felt his spacecraft begin to shake when he checked the backup servo-mechanical system associated with the yaw axis."

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:08:43 AM »
If we include crew health issues,

Apollo 7  Head colds by all crewmembers.

Apollo 8  Frank Borman's nausea and diarrhea.

Apollo 9  Rusty Schweickart's nausea, which nearly curtailed the mission.

Apollo 15  Jim Irwin's dangerously elevated heart rate

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »
Apollo 13's second stage premature center engine cut off.  :)

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
Didn't John Young disable a science experiment by accidently tearing a cable with his foot?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
Apollo 13's second stage premature center engine cut off.  :)

I'm entering into the conspiracy mindset, a journey into the Twilight Zone

'Yeah, but they had to tell story so it did not look perfect, and this is an obvious anomaly in their story because if the centre engine cut off they would not have managed to make LEO.

Leaving the twilight zone now. In some of the examples it might be worth posting a rebuttal too. Some of them are obviously not worth a rebuttal, such as breaking experiments and TV cameras not working (IMHO), but some might be worth explaining as we might inadvertently offer further fuel to stoke the fire.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »
Didn't John Young disable a science experiment by accidently tearing a cable with his foot?

Yes, he did. I remember having this discussion with someone and thinking how must the poor Cdr Young felt. He broke a cable to a heat flow sensor and ruined a lunar experiment. I feel sorry for the scientist involved, as reported here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A481277).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:21:32 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »

I'm entering into the conspiracy mindset, a journey into the Twilight Zone

'Yeah, but they had to tell story so it did not look perfect, and this is an obvious anomaly in their story because if the centre engine cut off they would not have managed to make LEO.

Even that they get incorrect. One engine cutting off early is no issue...you just burn the other engines for longer.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »

Yes, he did. I remember having this discussion with someone and thinking how must the poor Cdr Young felt. He broke a cable to a heat flow sensor and ruined a lunar experiment. I feel sorry for the scientist involved, as reported here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A481277).
You can hear in the audio he's pretty contrite.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »
You can hear in the audio he's pretty contrite.

That was painful listening, I felt really sorry for Young and the guys back on Earth. No one really knew what to say.