Author Topic: Movie Gravity  (Read 30049 times)

Offline qt

• Venus
Re: Movie Gravity
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
Of course I expect a film to switch things around a bit for dramatic effect, but as for this,

but also the yelling match that never happened.

I wouldn't have minded it, if the eventual kiss-and-make-up weren't such a horrible Hollywood cliché.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
Look how long it took to publish the in-flight intercom tape dumps. They certainly weren't classified for any reason other than to hide the fact that these guys made mistakes, swore, joked, got emotional, and otherwise acted like perfectly normal human beings doing a very unusual job. Nothing they said in private could take away the fact that they did their jobs quite well.

Remember how much flak Cernan caught when he yelled "SONOFABITCH!" just because the LM computer suddenly decided it belonged on a carnival ride? The Right Reverend Larry "Dickhead" Poland raised such a stink that Cernan, under orders, made  a public apology at a press conference. 

Of course, Cernan later referred to the uproar as "goddamn hogwash".
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 01:13:34 AM »
I bet there'd be a lot less of a reaction today.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »
Another question on Apollo 13 (the movie):

When they prepare to dock with the LM, Tom Hanks asks "How is the alignment", and Bacon answers "GDC aligned" and presses a button. Had he forgotten part of the procedure, and what what did that button do? Align the probe with the LM?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »
I cry when they come out of radio silence!

I do, too, probably because I remember being a small child and sitting through that, hoping so desperately to hear something. Sometimes real life can conceive of more dramatic situations that the most lurid screenwriters.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
I cry when they come out of radio silence!

I do, too, probably because I remember being a small child and sitting through that, hoping so desperately to hear something. Sometimes real life can conceive of more dramatic situations that the most lurid screenwriters.
And, as a side note, a tribute to the skill of Opie Ron Howard - to manage that level of suspense in telling a story of which we already know the outcome.  (As opposed to - IMHO - Argo, for example.)
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 01:59:35 AM »
Look how long it took to publish the in-flight intercom tape dumps. They certainly weren't classified for any reason other than to hide the fact that these guys made mistakes, swore, joked, got emotional, and otherwise acted like perfectly normal human beings doing a very unusual job. Nothing they said in private could take away the fact that they did their jobs quite well.

Remember how much flak Cernan caught when he yelled "SONOFABITCH!" just because the LM computer suddenly decided it belonged on a carnival ride? The Right Reverend Larry "Dickhead" Poland raised such a stink that Cernan, under orders, made  a public apology at a press conference. 

Cernan's statement was technically accurate. The LM was Snoopy, Snoopy was a dog, dogs are by definitions sons of bitches.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 12:25:39 PM »

Cernan's statement was technically accurate. The LM was Snoopy, Snoopy was a dog, dogs are by definitions sons of bitches.

The funny thing, I thought, was that the Commander, Tom Stafford, was also cursing a blue streak. Stafford, whose nickname was "Mumbles", was known to get just a bit less than articulate when excited (some of the other astronauts said that he was so smart he couldn't talk as fast as he was thinking) and his profanity didn't come across the comm link.

According to Cernan, what saved their collective butts was Stafford taking manual control of the LM and getting  them into the correct attitude in time to make the ascent burn.  As Gene said, "Old Mumbles sure do know how to fly."

Offline gtvc

• Venus
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 01:16:44 PM »
Are the Nasa helmets like that?

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »

I seem to recall Cernan saying the anomaly was due to a crew screw up; ie. Tom and Gene both changed the same switch's position, one not knowing the other had thrown it.
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 02:15:14 AM »

I seem to recall Cernan saying the anomaly was due to a crew screw up; ie. Tom and Gene both changed the same switch's position, one not knowing the other had thrown it.
Yep, and on Apollo 17 he apparently made it very clear to Jack Schmitt where the line was - don't touch any switches on my side of the line.

Offline gtvc

• Venus
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 10:06:53 AM »
Hello? somebody please check the last trailer the one I posted above and tell are the helmets really with HUD display or is science fiction? :P ::)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 04:23:33 PM »

Just so. And then when the ascent stage "went nuts", Stafford - thinking the problem was in the Abort Guidance System - flipped the switch again, which of course left the system "totally confused and helpless".

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
I saw "Gravity" today. It was pretty good... but it definitely takes some liberties with reality.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2013, 01:53:20 AM »
I saw Gravity tonight and enjoyed it.  While there was a short list of things I was able to recognize as inaccurate, I didn't mind the absence of the cooling garment and MAG when Bullock did her Barbarella un-suiting.

Ranb