Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 341926 times)

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #690 on: September 26, 2014, 06:23:24 PM »
C++ is incredibly baroque.  Try Python instead.

Thanks for the suggestion.  When I find the time to get back into programming, I'll look into Python.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #691 on: September 26, 2014, 06:36:08 PM »
Bwwwhahaha! First thing that popped into my head (after my keyboard got spattered with coffee)  was.....

Well spotted.  And wouldn't Peter O'Toole, ca. 1962 have made a much more dashing astronaut?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #692 on: September 26, 2014, 07:27:39 PM »
It is posts like the latest from Jockndoris that make me wish this forum had a BS flag emoticon like GLP.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #693 on: September 26, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »
If anyone had reported them for any reason they would have been called lunatics as everyone knew they were on the Moon.

I'm just actually going to just leave this sitting here for Mr Burns to ponder.

Nevertheless according to the book a "military fellow" came to the golf course from the "Military Base" and told Armstrong & Co. that they were wanted back at the base so they could be "collected."  (Because that's how American military men talk.)  So not only did they go cavorting about the golf course when they should have been assiduously not almost getting caught again, they left word back at "the Military Base" that they were going golfing.  And no one apparently thought that was a problem.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #694 on: September 26, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »
It is posts like the latest from Jockndoris that make me wish this forum had a BS flag emoticon like GLP.

Here, use mine

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #695 on: September 27, 2014, 03:32:41 AM »
And obviously, no one on golf courses ever has a camera.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #696 on: September 27, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »

Not to help his case but I played a lot of pre-phonecamera golf and the only time I ever saw cameras on golf courses (non-tournament play) was during golf lessons. Cameras were not usually something players included in their golf bags, at least with anyone I knew or played golf with. Granted, I never golfed on a military-only course.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #697 on: September 27, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »
Granted, I never golfed on a military-only course.

Then you and JnD have something in common...

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #698 on: September 27, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »
Granted, I never golfed on a military-only course.

Then you and JnD have something in common...

I hope that's the only thing.  :D
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #699 on: September 27, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »
Funny how I've not been offered a free copy of this pamphlet (no, I don't want one).

I can think of at least two possible reasons.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #700 on: September 27, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
I am waiting for the copy on a roll of "NASA mooned America." I am sure I will find it thoroughly absorbent absorbing. :)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #701 on: September 27, 2014, 06:21:21 PM »
here is my answer to the third part...

After reading that I really only have one question left for you, Jockndoris. What is it you gain out of telling these obvious lies?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #702 on: September 27, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »

Not to help his case but I played a lot of pre-phonecamera golf and the only time I ever saw cameras on golf courses (non-tournament play) was during golf lessons. Cameras were not usually something players included in their golf bags, at least with anyone I knew or played golf with. Granted, I never golfed on a military-only course.

All I'm saying is that it would have been possible.  And if anyone there had a camera, a picture could have been taken and then published, thus destroying the "lie."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #703 on: September 27, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »
Well, it isn't just a golf course. It's on a military base; he had to get in there. And it is in Hawaii, which means he had to get there. Now, he's not flying today, but there are still a lot of observers involved in that chain, and several of them are specifically tasked with making sure they know who is on the plane or coming through the gates.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #704 on: September 27, 2014, 11:52:46 PM »
You have mentioned Clarke in connection with his major patent, which was for placing communication relays in GS orbits.
Clarke famously declined to apply for a patent on the geostationary communications satellite. He said patents were nothing more than licenses to be sued, and he had better things to do than waste time in lawyer's offices.

Having been involved in a few big patent lawsuits, I'm strongly inclined to agree.