Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 341782 times)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2014, 03:52:48 PM »
As a final insult, Burns prints his book on thick, clay-coated paper making it unsuitable even for use in the bathroom.  My best recommendation is for a table whose leg is perhaps a quarter-inch too short.

Oh, the type used in public restrooms, usually referred to as "Clint Eastwood"?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2014, 06:16:43 PM »
No, it's that waxy, high-gloss paper that you use for printing fine detail.
That means it won't burn worth a damn, either.
Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
I wonder what would happen if I said that Neil Armstrong appeared to me and told me he was messing with conspiracists heads because of their damn fool hasseling of him during his later life?
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2014, 08:01:51 PM »
No, it's that waxy, high-gloss paper that you use for printing fine detail.
That means it won't burn worth a damn, either.
Fred
I was about to say the same thing. And pencil and pen tend to not work so well, so you can't even use it as doodle or note taking paper. Seriously, this book has no redeeming qualities whatsoever!

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2014, 12:36:27 AM »
Given the thread title, it's also off topic.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2014, 05:39:00 AM »
To Jockndoris: By chance did Armstrong's ghost tell you to avenge his death and implicate his own brother in the plot?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:54:43 AM by ka9q »

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2014, 08:48:05 AM »
Jockndoris   

Awe never came around to answering this, perhaps you could...

Just to test a personal hypothesis could you tell me the capital of France?

Offline skeptic_UK

• Venus
« Reply #307 on: September 17, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »
wow, this thread kinda exploded!  :o

I have to say I also ordered a copy of Mr Burns' book and have spent the last week slowly reading it. While it's certainly a very fantastical setting, it's impossible to really know if it's true or not. I found it a very good read. I think some people here are just pre-judging the book based on their own views on the author rather than the actual content.  ;)

For example the constant calling of it as a 'pamphlet' is rather rude really. Granted, It's not the longest book, but I still easily found it value for money.

The world map especially was very nicely done, and interesting to see the route he took around the world. Kudos to him for making it. I'm very tempted to order the 'full version' of the book as the chapter headings seem most intriguing.

I can understand why you might not believe it's true. But if it is or isn't doesn't take away from its entertainment value imho.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #308 on: September 17, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
Impossible to know if it was true or not? Are you kidding? Communicating with ghosts, astronauts playing golf when they were supposed to be on the moon? The MOST DOCUMENTED event in human history?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #309 on: September 17, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »
it's impossible to really know if it's true or not

You have difficulty differentiating truth from fiction when it concerns claims of conversing with ghosts? 

This is the point in a personal conversation where I would say something like, "What chance do you think the Texans have this year?"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:56:35 PM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #310 on: September 17, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »

I have to say I also ordered a copy of Mr Burns' book and have spent the last week slowly reading it. While it's certainly a very fantastical setting, it's impossible to really know if it's true or not. I found it a very good read. I think some people here are just pre-judging the book based on their own views on the author rather than the actual content.  ;)

For example the constant calling of it as a 'pamphlet' is rather rude really. Granted, It's not the longest book, but I still easily found it value for money.

The world map especially was very nicely done, and interesting to see the route he took around the world. Kudos to him for making it. I'm very tempted to order the 'full version' of the book as the chapter headings seem most intriguing.

I can understand why you might not believe it's true. But if it is or isn't doesn't take away from its entertainment value imho.

You are having a giraffe now.

You said
"it's impossible to really know if it's true or not"

Come on, I base my view on evidence I can get to grips with not flights of fancy.

Do you need to know the route I took to buy the biscuits that I gave to Mr Armstrong? I can provide just as valid evidence.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #311 on: September 17, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
Hmm. Is anyone else starting to smell a rat here?
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #312 on: September 17, 2014, 12:51:06 PM »

Yup.  One named Socks.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #313 on: September 17, 2014, 12:59:25 PM »

Okay, at this point it's pretty obvious you're another sock puppet of Neil Burns.

Let's throw that on the pile of the massive deception you've perpetrated in your book.  You lie repeatedly and habitually.  You say your word has never been questioned -- well, it's being questioned now, in a big way.  You are a company director of several companies in the U.K.  Do you believe this is acceptable behavior for a professional?

I have to say I also ordered a copy of Mr Burns' book and have spent the last week slowly reading it.

That's very slow indeed.  The book is only a quarter inch thick, folio-sized, 12-point text.  How anyone could take so long to read it is beyond me.

While it's certainly a very fantastical setting, it's impossible to really know if it's true or not.

Nonsense.  It's obviously false.  Its purported science is flatly and ignorantly wrong.  You carefully avoid offering any way to verify your claims -- all the "verification" is simply your further claims of ghostly communion (which themselves are patently false, as we see below).  Your narrative is riddled with blatant inconsistencies, and the characters that you purport to be real people are comically one-dimensional and not at all like the people and institutions we are familiar with.  This is the problem when your ghost character is a recently deceased real person and when you invoke institutions that may seem exotic and faraway to you, but to your readers are mundane, familiar entities.

I think some people here are just pre-judging the book based on their own views on the author rather than the actual content.  ;)

I'm judging it entirely by its content.  Its content is rubbish from beginning to end.

For example the constant calling of it as a 'pamphlet' is rather rude really.

No, it's a pamphlet.  Or it would be, if you were to remove the several chapters that have nothing to do with Armstrong or Apollo and simply drone on about what an exceptional golfer and accountant you are.  The relevant parts of the book comprise the 3 pages of your pseudo-science essay, the 4 pages where you visit Navy Marine Golf Course, and the 3 pages that allege to be Armstrong's monologue.  The rest is just self-indulgent filler.

The world map especially was very nicely done...

Well, I wasn't going to say anything about that because I considered it a cheap shot.  But since you mentioned it -- it's not nicely done at all.  It's so DCT-mangled you can't even make out the labels.  I literally have seen children do better graphics work in Microsoft Paint.

And it's completely irrelevant to Armstrong, Apollo, and your hoax claims.  It's simply part of the tedious irrelevant travelogue, ostensibly to impress the reader with what a world traveler you are.

Asked and answered.  If you had posed it as fiction, its entertainment value would be relevant.  Even as fiction it's abominable, for the reasons given many times in this thread.

But since you pose it as putative fact, its entertainment value is irrelevant.  Allegations of fact have value only in how truthful they are.  Your "ghost of Neil Armstrong" character repeats exactly the same kinds of gross, fundamental mistakes in orbital mechanics that you do in your purportedly degree-winning thesis.  They are characteristic errors, as telltale as fingeprints.  That's how we know it's you putting your words into Armstrong's mouth, and consequently how we know that you're lying -- and that you know you're lying.

You, sir, ought to be ashamed.  Your behavior is puerile and reprehensible, not at all befitting a grown man.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:02:19 PM by JayUtah »
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #314 on: September 17, 2014, 01:11:07 PM »

Yes.  I think it's quite reprehensible for a grown man -- a chartered accountant and company director who says his honor is impeccable -- to pretend to be another person in order to shill his awful book.  I kind of expect that sort of childishness from other hoax claimants, but not from someone who claims to be well educated and prominent.

And thus it becomes even more apparent that he started this thread solely to drum up the appearance of support for his book.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams