Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 341795 times)

Offline frenat

• Mars
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2014, 12:46:13 PM »
If you seriously think ANY of that indicated he enjoyed reading it, that he learned anything new from your dreck, or that he was wrong about Apollo then you are completely delusional.

Did you really miss the part where your facts are wrong, your science is wrong, you lack substantiation of anything and it reads worse that Twilight fan fiction?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:55:56 PM by frenat »
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »
If JnD deduces that Jay enjoyed the book on the basis of that review, then I think we can be pretty certain about the accuracy of his historical recollections.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
I am delighted you have received the book and clearly have enjoyed reading it from cover to cover.

Are you reading the same review I am?  Your book is excruciating.  It's pompous, poorly-written, and clearly a fabrication.  The fact that you're selling it for money borders on outright fraud.

You are telling your pro Apollo colleagues how interesting the book must be.

No, I'm telling them to avoid it at all costs.  And I will be doing the same thing very shortly on Amazon.com.

I was not evaluating it for "interest."  I was evaluating it for accuracy -- of which there is none.  However, if I were evaluating it for interest I would give it even lower marks.  It's a tedious recitation of your irrelevant biographical details, fatally burdened by lengthy egotistical excursions into your accountancy career.  You don't even posit a credible or complete hoax theory.

In your case of course you have the added bonus of having learned something new-  furthering your education about Space flight which seemed to be sadly lacking.

Utter nonsense.  You demonstrate practically no correct understanding of space flight, and your claims to have acquired it are so fraught with obvious inconsistencies as to be comical.  And I dare you to stick around here and attempt to prove how expert you really are.  Understand that here your knowledge about space engineering and the history of space exploration will be challenged vigorously by a number of career professional engineers including myself.  My guess is that you will not accept that challenge.

All your facts seem to be based on computer simulations handed out to you by NASA.

No.  My facts are based on practicing aerospace engineering professionally for 25 years and being a recognized expert in the history of Apollo.  You are welcome to test your knowledge against mine any time you wish.  However, you may not simply declare your critics to be uninformed.

I hope you have now had the courage to ring David Chin and get confirmation from him...

You haven't told me what exactly you expected Chin to confirm.  You apparently didn't tell him anything about your claims of playing there in 1969, or about your visits from ghosts.  I will certainly call him once you tell me what you expect him to say.  But so far all you insinuate is that you met him and had your picture taken with him.  There's no point to confirming such an irrelevant detail.

...and then realise that you have been wrong about Apollo for all these years.   Jockndoris

No, I'm certain I am not wrong.  You haven't even done rudimentary research into Apollo, or space engineering in general.  Your story can't even stay consistent between two consecutive pages.  The details in your book are so comically non-NASA they don't even qualify as credible fiction.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #288 on: September 16, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
If JnD deduces that Jay enjoyed the book on the basis of that review, then I think we can be pretty certain about the accuracy of his historical recollections.

I think at this point "delusional" is an appropriate label.  If any part of that review, or my subsequent comments, came across to him as any form of approval, he simply doesn't have a toehold in reality.  I understand his desire to sell his little ghost stories, but there's a line to be drawn at flatly misrepresenting a review.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #289 on: September 16, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »
As Adam Savage famously quoted, "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #290 on: September 16, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »
Problem is no he has a name he can add to the delusion and spin it. But I say he is wrong and Neil was at my house and my version has a better chance as it has less things I need to lie about. Apart from the biscuits.

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #291 on: September 16, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
He also gets Armstrong's age wrong.

Perhaps Armstrong's "ghost" lied about his age?

Seriously, though...it takes a real special type of willful ignorance to get such a trivial fact, wrong.

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »
It appears that JnD's reading and writing skills are at least consistent
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »
I am delighted you have received the book and clearly have enjoyed reading it from cover to cover.

Somewhat the same way a person "enjoys" having a root canal?   

The whole purpose of writing is for someone else to read and enjoy what you have written.

Then you have failed...no one "enjoys" reading stupid lies.

You are telling your pro Apollo colleagues how interesting the book must be.

Interesting?...no, more like seriously sad.

Possibly they will all want to buy or request a copy now!

Not on dare...not if you paid me...just NO.

In your case of course you have the added bonus of having learned something new-  furthering your education about Space flight which seemed to be sadly lacking.

How insulting. Apparently you STILL fail to understand that Jay is a RECOGNIZED AUTHORITY on this subject, while YOU can't even get Armstrong's age right.

As an "instructor", you can't teach us a damn thing re. Apollo.

All your facts seem to be based on computer simulations handed out to you by NASA.

What a silly lie. Do you really believe that scientists of the world base their opinion on "spoon fed" NASA "simulations"?

Guess you don't have a very high opinion of scientists or the work they do...well, right back atch ya.

I hope you have now had the courage to ring David Chin and get confirmation from him and then realise that you have been wrong about Apollo for all these years.

The Apollo missions occurred "as advertised". If your ignorance prevents you from realizing that, well, we really can't fix stupid.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2014, 02:29:12 PM »
Jockndoris - I can only add to what the others are saying:  Jay didn't just review your book, it was one of the best filleting jobs I've ever seen outside of Nick's Fish Market in Chicago.  Even if I believed that Apollo was a hoax, Jay's review would have ensured I wouldn't waste time with your prose.

Jay - thank you for squelching any morbid curiosity I had about the book. I get tempted to buy such books for entertainment, but this is beyond the pale. 

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »
It appears that JnD's reading and writing and thinking skills are at least consistent

FTFY
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
As a final insult, Burns prints his book on thick, clay-coated paper making it unsuitable even for use in the bathroom.  My best recommendation is for a table whose leg is perhaps a quarter-inch too short.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2014, 03:18:36 PM »
The whole purpose of writing is for someone else to read and enjoy what you have written.

Then you have failed...no one "enjoys" reading stupid lies.

Naturally I too disagree that the purpose of writing is necessarily for the reader's enjoyment.   And so does he, because -- as we've all noted -- he purports also to educate.

His essay on space travel is about as ignorant as you would expect from his posts here.  So any reader who came away from his book thinking that he has been educated in the principles of space science and engineering would be sorely mistaken.  If you write with the purpose of educating your reader, and you take a lackadaisical or deceptive approach to it, you can expect your critics fairly to crucify you.

But even if you disregard his claim that Haunted by Neil Armstrong is factual and treat it as fiction, it's far below the enjoyment threshold.  Earlier I alluded to the Pythonesque chartered accountant Arthur Pewty in jest, but here I resurrect the allusion with full intent.  Andrew Neil Burns is not one of those exciting chartered accountants.  He comes across in the book as the stereotypical accountant, bereft of charisma and interest.  The book bogs down in tedious autobiographical detail, pompously describing a life that simply fails to interest.  And for a book only a few millimeters thick, to say it "bogs down" really means something.  Literally, Mrs. Pumphrey's groundskeeper in the James Herriot books provides a more engaging premise for a character than Burns.

Not on dare...not if you paid me...just NO.

Indeed, just no.  I guarantee you'll want back the hour or so it takes to read this book.

What a silly lie. Do you really believe that scientists of the world base their opinion on "spoon fed" NASA "simulations"?

I think he does, because the phrase recurs a couple times in the book.  He doesn't really go into much detail about what he means by it.  "Practically all our training was by simulations on the computer," is what he has Ghost Armstrong say.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »
As a final insult, Burns prints his book on thick, clay-coated paper making it unsuitable even for use in the bathroom.

I'd have thought that would have made it quite absorbent.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #299 on: September 16, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
I'd have thought that would have made it quite absorbent.

No, it's that waxy, high-gloss paper that you use for printing fine detail.