Author Topic: Radiation  (Read 615905 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Radiation
« Reply #3075 on: May 03, 2018, 02:15:54 AM »
Oh, yeah, my fifteen-month-old lies pretty well, and she's preverbal.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3076 on: May 03, 2018, 02:41:33 AM »
Oh, yeah, my fifteen-month-old lies pretty well, and she's preverbal.
Same with this kid at the time. Children, innocent? Ha! ;D

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #3077 on: May 03, 2018, 03:36:11 AM »
Same with this kid at the time. Children, innocent? Ha! ;D

She also knows that people think she's cute and exploits it.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #3078 on: May 03, 2018, 03:58:14 AM »
just so everybody knows that wasnt me lol

can i just ask. i read that there were plans to return to the moon in the next 3 years. is this correct.

also do you think if we did return the HB would disappear completely.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #3079 on: May 03, 2018, 04:07:30 AM »
can i just ask. i read that there were plans to return to the moon in the next 3 years. is this correct.

There are always plans to return to the Moon, they just never reach fruition because administrations change and NASA's budget and priorities get shifted. Apollo was an anomaly in that it had a huge political motivation (beating those evil commies to the Moon), began near the start of a new administration, progressed through a second term for the democrats, and by the time the republicans got into power they were able to ride the coat-tails of a more or less complete project where all the groundwork had been done and only the business of actually scoring the final touchdown remained. Once that was done the project was dismantled. There has never been such a concerted effort with such massive national support in any space project since.

Now, my own view on the return to the Moon subject is that Trump wants to do it because the Chinese said they were going to and he wants to be the next 'winner' of a space race (which also puts a 3 year deadline into the context of getting it done before his first term is over or, if he doesn't get a second, so close to his departure he can claim the credit anyway).

Not a chance in hell. HBs are still vocal in the face of every other bit of evidence. You could land the next mission right next to the Apollo 11 descent stage and broadcast live HD TV from the surface and someone would still call it fake.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3080 on: May 03, 2018, 04:34:49 AM »

Maybe some of the fencesitters, but those have mostly vanished by now anyway. The hardcore crowd will just say these are fake too. You could boot them out the hatch sans suit, and their last words would be . . ..

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #3081 on: May 03, 2018, 04:43:03 AM »

There are always plans to return to the Moon, they just never reach fruition because administrations change and NASA's budget and priorities get shifted. Apollo was an anomaly in that it had a huge political motivation (beating those evil commies to the Moon), began near the start of a new administration, progressed through a second term for the democrats, and by the time the republicans got into power they were able to ride the coat-tails of a more or less complete project where all the groundwork had been done and only the business of actually scoring the final touchdown remained. Once that was done the project was dismantled. There has never been such a concerted effort with such massive national support in any space project since.

Now, my own view on the return to the Moon subject is that Trump wants to do it because the Chinese said they were going to and he wants to be the next 'winner' of a space race (which also puts a 3 year deadline into the context of getting it done before his first term is over or, if he doesn't get a second, so close to his departure he can claim the credit anyway).

Not a chance in hell. HBs are still vocal in the face of every other bit of evidence. You could land the next mission right next to the Apollo 11 descent stage and broadcast live HD TV from the surface and someone would still call it fake.

True. some of people i've seen in the FB groups are unbelievable.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #3082 on: May 03, 2018, 05:13:16 AM »
I agree. Many said "show us photos" and when probes did that, they claimed they were faked. It didn't matter whether they were US, Indian or Chinese probes... if it refuted their claims then "... they had to be faked...".

Once more I refer to Jack White: If there is evidence that the Moon landings are genuine then I would be more than happy to study it.... but since the landings were faked, any evidence must also be faked therefore it is a waste of my time to examine such evidence.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:16:24 AM by Obviousman »

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #3083 on: May 03, 2018, 06:03:33 AM »

If you mean a manned landing, then that would be 2023 at the earliest on Orion EM2 and that depends on:
A: All goes to plan
and
B: The funding does not get cut.

A: requires a successful Orion AA2 and EM2 launch and B: US gov commitment to keep spending, neither of which are certainties.

Outside of that, you have the Chinese (2036), Japan (2030) Russia (2028) and a few private ventures. It is uncertain how solid those dates are. Or if they are even funded yet.

If you mean unmanned missions, there are several every year anyway. This year, for example, we have Chang'e-4 and Chandrayaan-2, both of which are due to land robotic rovers. Chang'e-5 is due for next year and is a sample return mission.

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #3084 on: May 03, 2018, 07:10:54 AM »

If you mean a manned landing, then that would be 2023 at the earliest on Orion EM2 and that depends on:
and

A: requires a successful Orion AA2 and EM2 launch and B: US gov commitment to keep spending, neither of which are certainties.

Outside of that, you have the Chinese (2036), Japan (2030) Russia (2028) and a few private ventures. It is uncertain how solid those dates are. Or if they are even funded yet.

If you mean unmanned missions, there are several every year anyway. This year, for example, we have Chang'e-4 and Chandrayaan-2, both of which are due to land robotic rovers. Chang'e-5 is due for next year and is a sample return mission.

ah ok thanks Abaddon

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #3085 on: May 03, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »

There's always talk of sending people back to the Moon, but there's no actual program to do so. SLS Block I won't be flying before 2021, the Block II upper stage needed to boost both the Orion spacecraft and a lander to the moon won't be ready until a year or so after that, and, crucially, there's no lander.  The absolute best you could do by 2021 is an Apollo 8 style mission, and that's if NASA and all the contractors involved (mainly Boeing and LockMart) seriously hump it between now and then.  Having worked with Boeing on another contract in the past, let me say the likelihood of that is low

In the private sector, SpaceX had a plan to send a couple of people around the moon using the Falcon Heavy and Crew Dragon spacecraft a la Apollo 8, but those plans have been shelved since the announcement of their BFR/BFS system.  Elon wants to go straight to Mars, anyway.  But, per SpaceX, the BFS spacecraft would have enough delta-V to land on the Moon and return to Earth without refueling.  But again, that's not going to be flying by 2021. 

No, because most HBs are not rational, and won't believe their lying eyes. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:05:06 AM by jfb »

Offline Ranb

• Mars
« Reply #3086 on: May 03, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »
A small segment of the Apollo program deniers believe rockets don't work in a vacuum.  Therefore any future landings will also be faked in their minds.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #3087 on: May 03, 2018, 06:05:23 PM »

and

ah ok thanks Abaddon
Don't thank me. It is in the nature of such missions that delays may occur. Chang'e-4 is due to launch in June. Will it? I have no idea. The Chinese program is a bit opaque.

However, bear in mind that when the Chinese put a man in orbit, the HB wingnuts immediately claimed it was faked as soon as HD video was released. They claimed it was faked in a large water tank. Shenzou 5 I believe.

In any event, it was a LEO mission and the HBs found themselves denying that while at the same time claiming that Apollo stayed in that very same orbit in the 60s/70s, Apollo/Salyut, Mir, Spacelab, ISS and so forth are held as evidence that only LEO is possible. Shenzou 7 had the first Chinese space walk IN LEO which is exactly what the HB claims is entirely possible since the 60s. Suddenly, when the Chinese do it, it is faked. In a water tank, no less. That's right, the HB loons think that LEO is faked. You should read Ryan Mackey's theory of the Expansion of Conspiracy Theories. In short, it states that the more conspiracies one claims, the more extreme the next conspiracy claim must be until...one ends with that which cannot be supported.

Were I a betting man, the Chinese will return to the moon before the US. Why? Well, I believed that years ago simply because they are more committed to the idea. Now that the US has seen fit to put a moron at the helm, well, space research is such an easy target for budget cuts, isn't it?

Shenzou 7 space walk

Good luck proving that isn't a tank of water on earth.

ETA: Fixed spelling.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:14:26 PM by Abaddon »

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #3088 on: May 06, 2018, 03:21:38 AM »
Yes they are, but tim still doesn't get it nor the 3-D view insisting the trajectory is over the north pole!,  Bah look at the first image.

He cannot compile the three images and work out the trajectory. The 3rd image does indeed look as though it does go over the north pole, but it's just the perspective of the 2D rendering. The perspective from the first two images tells you that Apollo did not go over the north pole.
I took my kids to see Isle of Dogs this evening, and the 3D-rendered-in-2D thing was a joke and a plot device! As an airplane shown in full 2D profile approaches a cablecar tower, also in full profile, one of the dogs says "He'll lose a wing for sure!" and yup, when tower and airplane coincide, off comes the wing and down goes the plane. This in a movie aimed at kids and the general public.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #3089 on: May 06, 2018, 07:19:53 AM »
Guess who has shown up at the Straight Dope Message Board?

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=854290
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov