Author Topic: First Man  (Read 22071 times)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
First Man
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:08:40 PM »
I forgot they were making this...

Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
Re: First Man
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 02:37:14 AM »
I forgot they were making this...

Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Oooh, I didn't know about this!  It looks pretty good, although I'm not sure about "most dangerous mission in history" tag - a bit of hyperbole there  ;)

Apollo 13 was a good dramatization, and reasonably accurate in the details, so let's hope this one lives up to that standard.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »
Ryan Gosling though. He's got emotion and charisma acting abilities somewhere between Keanu Reeves and a block of mahogany.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 04:58:15 PM »
Ryan Gosling though. He's got emotion and charisma acting abilities somewhere between Keanu Reeves and a block of mahogany.
Hey now! No need to be rude to the block of mahogany!

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 05:58:14 PM »
Hey now! No need to be rude to the block of mahogany!

;D ;D ;D
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »

Perfect choice for Neil Armstrong then.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »

Perfect choice for Neil Armstrong then.

Was gonna say, Neil was a pretty low-key guy.  Gosling seems like the right choice here. 

Offline nweber

• Venus
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
Was gonna say, Neil was a pretty low-key guy.  Gosling seems like the right choice here.

Yuri Gagarin was a natural in front of the camera.  Neil Armstrong was not.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »

I don't think it's fair to say he lacks charisma by pointing to his performance in a movie where he plays a replicant living in a depressing dystopian world. If he had been all smiles and charisma I would have found it unbelievable. ;)

I've actually met Ryan Gosling... and by "met" I mean I was in the same room as him while he interacted with other people. It was around 1999-2000 (during his "Young Hercules" years, I believe) and he came into the store I was working for at the time. Maybe something tragic happened to him since then that crushed his soul, but that kid had charisma. There was no doubt he'd be famous.

He probably wouldn't have been the first person I'd think of if I was casting the role of Neil Armstrong, but I don't think he is a bad choice.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 04:13:11 AM »

I can't see a portrayal of Armstrong brimming with Patrick Stewart style overacting working so this is probably a positive.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 04:29:02 PM »
Yup, my friend plays Elliott See.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »

I don't think it's fair to say he lacks charisma by pointing to his performance in a movie where he plays a replicant living in a depressing dystopian world. If he had been all smiles and charisma I would have found it unbelievable. ;)

I agree. I thought he was spellbinding in in Bladerunner 2049.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 01:36:58 AM »
Just like Keanu Reeves's woodenness worked in his favour in Johnny Mnemonic.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 02:46:35 AM »

I agree. I thought he was spellbinding in in Bladerunner 2049.

Given he was playing a robot, I'd agree.

Offline nickrulercreator

• Venus
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 08:02:16 PM »
I'm really excited for this. I'm glad someone is finally making a depiction on Neil Armstrong's life. I hope we get to see and Apollo 11 film on the big screen as well.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.