Author Topic: Newly released Apollo 11 comms  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Newly released Apollo 11 comms
« on: November 12, 2018, 01:24:01 PM »
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-university-of-texas-at-dallas-reveal-apollo-11-behind-the-scenes-audio

"When Neil Armstrong took his legendary first steps on the Moon on July 20, 1969, it defined a generation. As NASA prepares to mark the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing next year, it has released newly unearthed backchannel conversations from the mission to the public, giving us an unprecedented peek at what was happening behind the scenes.

The main air-to-ground recordings and on-board recordings from the historic mission have been publicly available online for decades. But that was just a fraction of the recorded communications for the mission. Thousands of hours of supplementary conversations ("backroom loops") between flight controllers and other support teams languished in storage at the National Archives and Records Administration building in Maryland—until now."

From: https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/11/now-you-can-listen-to-behind-the-scenes-audio-from-the-apollo-11-mission/
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Newly released Apollo 11 comms
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:42:30 PM »
I attempted to listen to the first audio, 11-03301, But find it is in "slow motion".  It is playing one the web, so I'm not sure how to speed it up to normal.  Any suggestions?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 05:14:52 PM »
I attempted to listen to the first audio, 11-03301, But find it is in "slow motion".  It is playing one the web, so I'm not sure how to speed it up to normal.  Any suggestions?

I got the same, though the other recordings seem to play OK. Must be a glitch in the Matrix.

https://archive.org/details/Apollo11Audio
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 05:22:44 PM »
Maybe appropriate for the old coder's saying "it works on my machine"  ;D  (Yes, I'm an old coder!)

But as a serious answer, if you scroll down the page (move your mouse out of the recordings area) there are various download options.  WAV are very big, but probably the original quality.  Compressed FLAC if you want lossless, but still pretty big files.  For smaller sizes, mp3 if you don't care about quality, and ogg if you do  ;)
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline molesworth

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »
Oh, and thanks to Zakalwe for linking to these.  They're a nice find.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:46:45 AM »
Maybe appropriate for the old coder's saying "it works on my machine"  ;D  (Yes, I'm an old coder!)

But as a serious answer, if you scroll down the page (move your mouse out of the recordings area) there are various download options.  WAV are very big, but probably the original quality.  Compressed FLAC if you want lossless, but still pretty big files.  For smaller sizes, mp3 if you don't care about quality, and ogg if you do  ;)

Thanks for the info old coder  However, I attempted the default(whatever that format is), mp3, ogg(Had to install new player) wave and all displayed the same slowness.

So what hardware/software did your get the file to play properly?  Dell Latitude E5530 with 8M ram here
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline molesworth

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 04:24:20 PM »

Thanks for the info old coder  However, I attempted the default(whatever that format is), mp3, ogg(Had to install new player) wave and all displayed the same slowness.

So what hardware/software did your get the file to play properly?  Dell Latitude E5530 with 8M ram here
Mine is a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop, Core i5 with 8Gb of RAM (I think you meant Gb too) so a very similar specification.  I've downloaded the mp3, ogg and wav versions of 11-03301, and tried playing them in Windows Media Player (not ogg) and VLC Player, without any problems.

It looks like something is a bit odd in your machine's handling of media files, but I'd be hard put to say what it is.  My google-fu is failing to get any hint of a similar question anywhere either.

If you have access to another PC anywhere, it might be worth trying your downloaded files on that, to see if it's the file, the PC, or the app that's the problem.  Sorry I can't be of more help on this.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 05:53:59 PM »
I have been opening from the web, not saving to the HDD.  Also VLC wasn't the software installed.  I'm on a different machine Win 7  I7 processor with 8 GB.  I'll try downloading the files on the other lap and try that way.
Thanks
Eugene Cernan