Author Topic: Why are NASA astronauts (still) lying?  (Read 71025 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Why are NASA astronauts (still) lying?
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2014, 02:36:35 PM »
Utah's state bird is the California seagull, and we have tons of them despite being hundreds of miles away from California.  They have a hallowed place in Mormon history, so we endure them.  I think we're the only state that has an official state firearm as well -- the Browning .45 cal. automatic.  Any connection is probably unintentional.
I had to look it up, and, apparently, there is at other states that have done likewise.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2014, 01:25:58 AM »
Is it really necessary to have so many official things? The New York legislature was debating what should the state snack and few months ago. I mean seriously.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2014, 03:18:24 PM »
No idea, but it seems to be a pretty new thing, with all the legislation passing in the New Teens, the Tens, or whatever we call this decade.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »
We in Texas are free from the tyranny of a state mandated firearm.  However, there is a state mandate for almost everything else these days. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline PetersCreek

• Venus
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
As of July 30th, we now have one in Alaska: the pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 bolt-action rifle.  Now I'm kind of sorry I sold mine.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »
Ha, I recently found an old copy of the one usable image we were able to get out of a +X camera we put on our materials science satellite for no good reason that I recall.  Sunlit Orbiter, somewhat overexposed, and... no stars.  It's a cruddy image, admittedly, but according to HB narrative should still show a mess of stars.

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »
Rosetta's lander took a picture of the spacecraft and comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2014/09/Rosetta_mission_selfie_at_comet

Interestingly, this is made from two images with different exposures to "bring out the faint detail".

No stars.