Author Topic: Is there mathematical, or some other proof that the footage isn't slowed?  (Read 8912 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Is there mathematical, or some other proof that the footage isn't slowed?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 08:53:20 AM »
I hadn't observed the question about a Monday night football game, but this is an excellent point Bertie.
Thanks
Another good one is the All Star Game being mentioned as being rained out in this Apollo 11 transcript (see 06 12 09 25 CC). Yeesh, it seems NASA  can do just about anything except land people on the moon! ::)

IIR, during Apollo 16, around the time Young and Duke were saluting the flag, CAPCOM read them the news about the Congressional vote approving the newest NASA budget including the Space Shuttle.  (I think Duke responded with something like:  "It's a great day to be an American".)

I do remember that comment, although I don't remember when it was transmitted, CRS at my end.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Willoughby

• Venus
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
The proper factor by which the video should be sped up is closer to 2.47X.  Basically what it comes down to is the square root of the factor by which the acceleration is greater/lesser.  For the moon, gravity is 1/6th that of Earth's, so if the footage was filmed in Earth gravity, you would need to play that back at √1/6 or 40.8% speed to be consistent with lunar gravity.  If you want to go the other direction, since Earth's gravity is 6 times stronger, you'd speed up lunar footage by a factor of √6 (or 2.47X) to be consistent with Earth gravity.

There is no "mathematical formula" that I know of that definitively "proves" that the footage could not have been slowed down, but fortunately, math is not required.  Just speed up the footage the proper amount (2.47X) and then watch EVERYTHING.  What these hoaxers fail to realize is that the ONLY thing that changes is the downward acceleration of gravity.  Any other motion should be unchanged.  When you speed up the footage to what hoaxers will say is the "original recording speed", all motion that gravity is not responsible for looks way too fast, jerky and unnatural.  Any hoaxers who view this footage and claim it looks natural are simply lying to themselves, and if they refuse to acknowledge this, then there isn't anything that will convince them anyway; certainly no math will.

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 05:17:25 PM »
There is also the fact that the color wheel artefcats are most definitely single frame. That suggests to me the video is the stock standard. I am using analogue video as a reference, not MPEG2 as that introduces a heap of errors on its own.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline nickrulercreator

• Venus
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 11:09:21 PM »
There is also the fact that the color wheel artefcats are most definitely single frame. That suggests to me the video is the stock standard. I am using analogue video as a reference, not MPEG2 as that introduces a heap of errors on its own.

This sounds interesting. Can we get a little more information?
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 03:46:59 PM »
There should be another way to check this out too.

Dress a man in a Lunar EVA suit, and film him walking normally on the Earth... get him to kick up some soil as he does so, then slow the footage down by the calculated amount in an attempt to simulate walking in the lunar surface environment.

I'll bet a dollar against a dog-turd that the resulting slow-motion footage will look nothing like what we saw from the Lunar footage. The motion of the man in the suit will look completely different, and the particles of kicked up soil will not follow ballistic arcs.   
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 06:06:45 PM »
Or just watch the first episode of "Space, 1999."

Won't help with the hoax believers, of course. Their sense of spacial relationships, kinetics, and timing are far into the knee of mssr's Dunning and Kruger's little graph. They'd say your film looked identical in all the important aspects. (Or they'd take the same attitude they did with "Mythbusters" -- that you intentionally did it wrong to make the attempt fail.)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 03:24:54 AM »
Even modern films, with their maker's access to all sorts of digital enhancements and effects, still get it wrong.

^^Clouds of billowing dust that could only happen in an atmosphere^^
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2018, 05:10:54 AM »
Even modern films, with their maker's access to all sorts of digital enhancements and effects, still get it wrong.

... and on top of that, the EVA walking didn't look like the Apollo astonauts, and the wiggling curly cords on the control panel as the astronaut drove away did not act like they were in 1/6 G.

Some time ago I watched an interview between Astrophysicist Dr. Andy Howell and director Ridley Scott about shooting the movie "The Martian". They more or less concluded that it was simply too hard to shoot to mimic the 38% Martian gravity, so they took some artistic licence and decided to make no attempt to do so.

Now, with all the modern high power computers and masses of CGI production expertise available to them, 38% G was too hard to shoot, and yet the Stupidati thinks that shooting to fake the Lunar 16% G on film stock 50 years ago would have been a breeze?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 03:13:41 PM »
Some time ago I watched an interview between Astrophysicist Dr. Andy Howell and director Ridley Scott about shooting the movie "The Martian". They more or less concluded that it was simply too hard to shoot to mimic the 38% Martian gravity, so they took some artistic licence and decided to make no attempt to do so.

But that's what they want you to believe!
(Very TIC)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 01:55:51 AM »
Puts a new spin on the "Kubrick filmed them" claim. Imagine going up to him and saying, "You need to make parts of your new film, 2001, intentionally bad and/or wrong so the films your did secretly for us look better by comparison."

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 06:27:28 AM »

For actual motion of dust in a 1/6th g vacuum environment I like this section from Apollo 15 :

The 'not long enough' joke also makes it....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 06:30:01 AM by Trebor »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 07:04:25 AM »
Puts a new spin on the "Kubrick filmed them" claim. Imagine going up to him and saying, "You need to make parts of your new film, 2001, intentionally bad and/or wrong so the films your did secretly for us look better by comparison."

I think if you did that, Stanley would have had two words for you... the second word would be "Off"

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 04:08:23 AM »

... and on top of that, the EVA walking didn't look like the Apollo astonauts, and the wiggling curly cords on the control panel as the astronaut drove away did not act like they were in 1/6 G.

The hilarious thing is that it looks like the billowing clouds of dust was digitally added in post-production after the scene was filmed with the model machines!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 08:06:11 AM »
Or just watch the first episode of "Space, 1999."

That also contains the classic astronauts fight where the visors flip up, I must admit if I saw that one in an Apollo EVA I would join the hoax crowd. :D :D

Edit: Found the clip too watch the astronaut as he throws the other astronaut.. I remember this from watching the show when first broadcast, not a bad memory for a man 2 months shy of sixty.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:13:26 AM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)