Author Topic: Hunchback aka inquisitivemind.  (Read 125874 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Hunchback aka inquisitivemind.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 05:18:03 PM »
Who be 'He That Shalt Not Be Named'? Dost he hither from some antipodal region?

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »

He dost Sire. He dost. He watcheth over a nest of vipers, each with eyes of burning red and lashing tongues, which spiteth venom so foul on they that are called NASA.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »
...Similar to He Who Shall Not Be Named,...

You were around on BABB at the time of the "original" He Who Shall Not Be Named. 

Pi... I mean, HWSNBN insisted that pictures of, say, a bootprint on the Moon were actually images of cities and such taken from orbit.  Or something like that.  He was famous for appearing in a thread whenever his username was mentioned.  I don't remember what happened to him, but another user (Wiolawa, I think) carried in a similar vein with photo analyses showing that pretty much everyone was an alien reptilian except, well, herself.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »

He dost Sire. He dost. He watcheth over a nest of vipers, each with eyes of burning red and lashing tongues, which spiteth venom so foul on they that are called NASA.
Verily, thou has described him to breadth, width, and height, cast in the very likeness of a man, though boy be the better description of one such as he.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 06:26:01 PM »
...Similar to He Who Shall Not Be Named,...
You were around on BABB at the time of the "original" He Who Shall Not Be Named.

It seems there might be 2 HWSNBM. Sith always come in pairs, a master and an apprentice. I recall in the old forum, we finally referred to our antipodean friend as HWSNBM. My original reply to Jay refers to the antipodean HWSNBM of YouTube fame.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »

Verily, thou has described him to breadth, width, and height, cast in the very likeness of a man, though boy be the better description of one such as he.

He is a thing shaped like itself?

(As long as we are quoting here...)

Offline VincentMcConnell

• Earth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »
I always remember JW being referred to on here as HWSNBN.

Since hunchbacked is the topic of this thread, he recently made a video about the long debunked bull*hit with the Earth apparently being too small in some Apollo 17 photographs. When optical properties were explained to him, he just gave us more excuses and nonsense. The guy is 58 years old and he just CAN'T be reasoned with. I don't recommend anyone spending too much time dealing with Hunchy, although I sometimes do.
"It looks better now, Al. What change did you make?"
"I just hit it on the top with my hammer."

-Mission Control and Alan Bean on Apollo 12 after the TV camera failed.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »
I know quite well that I'll never be able to talk any sense into him, but he's just too fascinating a character to ignore. The overused "slow motion train wreck" metaphor comes to mind.

I enjoyed my one or two college psychology courses, but even if I had taken many more I suspect much human behavior would still be an unfathomable mystery to me. Maybe it's just me, but the laws of physics -- even quantum and relativity -- seem almost intuitively obvious by comparison to the laws (if any) of human behavior.

I knew from very early childhood that I wanted to go into one of the physical sciences (e.g., chemistry or physics) or engineering (I became an EE). The "hard" sciences always seemed so much more understandable and downright tractable than anything in the social (or "soft") sciences.

I also avoided biology because it just seemed like a lot of rote memorization; nobody really understood why living things are as they are. But biology has come so far in just the past few decades that I think the 21st century will be the century of biology in the way that the 20th century was the century of physics. Who knows, maybe by the 22nd century we will finally begin to understand ourselves.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:05:38 AM by ka9q »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
I knew from very early childhood that I wanted to go into one of the physical sciences (e.g., chemistry or physics) or engineering (I became an EE). The "hard" sciences always seemed so much more understandable and downright tractable than anything in the social (or "soft") sciences.

Having been invovled with social science in academic circles fort the last year, it's not entriely intractable. There are many research areas that show facets of human behaviour are common sense. The research simply backs them up. It is not so different to hard science in terms of methods and analysis.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
Hello, everyone. New poster here. Recently disabled/retired at 59 and, with time on my hands, I have become a little fascinated by the HB phenomenon.

On to business - in a strange way, I find that I enjoy watching Hunchy's YT videos. A Gish Gallop of that level of misinformation, set to classical music... it's just a strange art form in its own right.

Total nonsense, of course, but my sense of humor runs toward the absurd, so maybe that's it. It's like an episode of 'Our Gang' where the kids are explaining the moon landing to each other.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
I enjoyed my one or two college psychology courses, but even if I had taken many more I suspect much human behavior would still be an unfathomable mystery to me. Maybe it's just me, but the laws of physics -- even quantum and relativity -- seem almost intuitively obvious by comparison to the laws (if any) of human behavior.

Average human behaviour is actually pretty easy to understand.  The issue is that conspiracism deals with the outliers.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »
... It's like an episode of 'Our Gang' where the kids are explaining the moon landing to each other.

That's a really good comparison.  But now I'm going to picture JW (et al) with a huge cowlick!

Oh-tay!

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
... It's like an episode of 'Our Gang' where the kids are explaining the moon landing to each other.

That's a really good comparison.  But now I'm going to picture JW (et al) with a huge cowlick!

Oh-tay!

Now imagine Froggy saying Armstrong's line.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
On to business - in a strange way, I find that I enjoy watching Hunchy's YT videos. A Gish Gallop of that level of misinformation, set to classical music... it's just a strange art form in its own right.

Yes, a bit like a thrash metal version of Swan Lake where Prince Siegfried watches the swans gently float across the lake's surface. A strange art form, but nonetheless, comical and amusing in its own right.

Offline VincentMcConnell

• Earth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »

Lately, Hunchie's videos have become increasingly more annoying. They're way too long and they have Disney movie style music. His failed attempts at Engineering are easily beaten by ApolloWasReal's knowledge, so I see no use bugging much with him. In the long run, I'm more interested in learning about Apollo and manned spaceflight in general than I am arguing with conspiracy theorists these days. Actually, I'm glad to have made my account here again. Hoax theory is kind of fun to mess with sometimes, but I prefer spending that time on the ALSJ or just researching my favorite missions.
"It looks better now, Al. What change did you make?"
"I just hit it on the top with my hammer."

-Mission Control and Alan Bean on Apollo 12 after the TV camera failed.